1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Adjacency Bonuses Dynamic or Static once a District is Placed?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Graethyenne, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Graethyenne

Graethyenne Chieftain

I feel like this has changed at some point, and in any event, I have forgotten/never knew how it was supposed to work.

So, for example, if I chop down the rain forests providing my campus adjacency bonuses, does the bonus diminish or is it locked.

Similarly, if I happen to build both a harbor and a commercial hub in the same city, adjacent to one another, does it matter which one goes down first in terms of whether the CH gets the +2 gold from the harbor?

Thanks for helping with this super basic question.

2. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

It is Dynamic, adapt to the current environment. (For example, if you chop the jungles next to a campus, its yield will drop. It you build a district near it, it's yield will raise.

3. criZp

criZp Emperor

if you hover the mouse over the district I think the tooltip says how much yield you get from adjacency

Graethyenne likes this.
  4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Definitely dynamic. Often with industrial zones I don't have everything mined by the time it's complete, especially if I have to buy tiles.

Or if you are playing Germany and you get one industrial zone up, it may take some time before you are able to surround it with 3,4, or maybe 5 commercial hubs.

Graethyenne likes this.
  5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

No difference either way, the bonus only counts on completion and I thinik its an end-of-turn assessment rather than truly dynamic? ... I found out the other day that tourism is truly dunamic... was a weird moment after all this time.

Graethyenne likes this.
  6. Alexis Layton

Alexis Layton Chieftain

The only thing that doesn’t seem to be dynamic is era bonus for being splendid. If you build an IZ but not all the mines are done you don’t appear to get the +3 era points later when they are.

Graethyenne likes this.
  7. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Prince

Yeah, that's annoyingly inconsistent and should be changed to work retroactively.

Graethyenne likes this.
  8. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I can see why they don't do that, though. They'd have to store and track the state of every district every turn, instead of checking once when you build it.

Graethyenne likes this.
  9. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Prince

They already have to do that though, for things like the policy cards that care about whether your districts have an adjacency bonus of +3 or not. So the work is already done; they just have to use it.

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

That's not quite the same thing; they have to check every turn when calculating the bonus, but they don't have to store the state for each district. For an achievement they have to store the state, so that it doesn't trigger more than once. That means either adding an additional data field to the district data structure, or adding a new data structure for each achievement to track every district. Not impossible or even hard, but kind of a pain, and a largely unnecessary one.

11. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Prince

The way it works now is that players can only get the "splendid district" historic moment once for each type of district, not once for each individual district in their empire.

So unnecessary or not, making the historic moment work retroactively seems like a lot of added consistency for a tiny amount of effort. But then, I'm not a modder, so I can't speak from experience.

12. Temppu

Temppu Warlord

This inconsistency makes the Era score accumulation consistent, however. If the Era score gain would work retroactively, should the Era scores be lost when the adjacency bonus diminishes? Era scores are given upon events complete, which is fairly consistent.

Graethyenne and WillowBrook like this.
  13. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

omg.. why haven't I EVER DONE THIS.. HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED THIS

Usually I just plop it down adjacent to Resources and one Commercial Hub.

Also something to note I'm fairly sure that a Rainforest and a District don't add up to +1. they are always counted seperate. it is +1 for every 2 of each, and this applies to anything with a minor bonus.

Graethyenne likes this.
  14. Graethyenne

Graethyenne Chieftain

Many Thanks folks, now I know that it works the way I thought it should (which is a relief =D )