1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Are aliens too similar to barbarians?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Zet, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Bkeela

Bkeela Warlord

The aliens aren't the progeny of barbarians. They're the progeny of Indians from Colonization. Only thing is you can't trade with them as far as I know.

2. Eisenhart

Eisenhart Warlord

From the looks of it, they're different.

As they keep mentioning "treat them like barbarians at your own peril" and "Civ V players who play like they would in Civ V tend to find out very quickly how bad that is".

Paraphrasing.

3. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, they did that in Civ4. They didn't do that in Civ3. I think they could capture cities in Civ2, but certainly couldn't create their own civilization (odds are they wouldn't capture a city anyway since cities often got beat down to pop one and destroyed instead). The aliens aren't apparently sapient (as distinct from sentient), so I doubt they'd have the capacity to run a city.

While I'd love to see aliens destroy a city, cities that defend themselves make it very difficult to destroy.

4. Eisenhart

Eisenhart Warlord

There was a youtube video that showed a city being destroyed by two Siege Wurms. o_o

Like, that was the capital and the player was shown the defeat screen right after.

5. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

I wish the aliens are not barbarians but a major Intelligent species that seeks to conquer all civilization so they can gain control of their very own planet from us "foreigner's". I wish to see the aliens evolve and try to conquer our cities using huge armies, and have a very special info section dedicated towards alien activity and possible invasions/resurgence... Just think Xcom being applied to Beyond Earth...

6. Eisenhart

Eisenhart Warlord

I can't seem to find the particular video where it showed a city being destroyed and the player defeated by aliens.

7. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I do hope that the alien life forms are extremely challenging and nothing like the weak, emasculated, pathetic barbarians in Civilization 5. :sad:

I loved the barbarians in cIV. If left alone, they'd spawn mini civilizations and it was always amusing to come across sprawling barbarian expanses with World Wonders under their control. Plus, getting surprised by early axeman always sent shivers down my spine. Very fun. *Sigh* :D

Now, obviously the barbarians in Civilization 5: Beyond Earth won't be like that but I do hope that they are fairly dangerous and challenging and remain a constant threat throughout the game. That would be greatly encouraging to see and hopefully a strong barbarian presence will carry over to Civ VI. :)

8. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

So did you see the live stream on Twitch TV with MadDjinn? What do you think now?

9. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

Maddjin's wide playstyle combined with the higher difficulty (aka expansive AI) made the alin life a non-factor after turn 150.

I was amused by the one game he used ultrasonic fences with the extended range to farm a nest for experience.

10. ResistancKnight

ResistancKnight Chieftain

Not so much a difference and more of an early/mid game thing, but I did like what Maddjin called the wildlands, where there may be regions of a map abundant in resources but crawling with alien life.

As for evolving aliens, it should be said that evolution does not equal intelligence. Knowledge isn't the pinnacle of evolution, just one answer to it. I'd much rather see, for example, the wolf-beetles go full on xenomorphs the later the game goes to answer rising threats. Stealthy aliens that ignore harmony, kill supremacy/explode and damage nearby units when they die, and multiply whenever they kill a purity(or any other non-combat human) unit.

11. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I wasn't too impressed with the "Oooohh watch this! I attack the aliens and now they are hostile to me!" Let me reboot the game. "Ooooohh watch this! I leave the aliens alone and they are indifferent to me!" Seemed like a lot of hype for something that wasn't so interesting. Also, with the tech tree/web, it looked a lot like choose X tech for killing aliens and choose Y tech for being friendly to aliens.

However, that being said, the aliens did look pretty cool and there certainly could be some meaningful and interesting interaction between the factions depending on how you treat the aliens. If I constantly attack the aliens it will rile up all the aliens on the planet and it could annoy other factions that want to remain more peaceful towards alien life. Of course if the AI and diplomacy is as bad as it was in Civilization 5, that potential could be squandered.

All in all though, I am excited about "barbarians" that can do significant damage and hopefully be able to wipe out a civ entirely. It'd be interesting to see if you could defeat another civ by proxy. ie Riling up the alien life forms so much that they obliterate a less prepared faction. ;)

So, we shall see. There is certainly potential here. :D

12. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

i really wish calling them buggers "natives" instead of aliens would catch on to counteract colonialist attitude. Unless you're purity, obviously, then its propaganda ;-)

13. Zet

Zet Warlord

Unfortunately the aliens do appear to become a non factor later on, but they do play a much bigger role than barbarians (compared to Civ V). In the 3 hour let's play that appeared yesterday the poor dude had a lot of problems due to landing near an alien nest.

14. Gort

Gort Emperor

The aliens do look a LOT like barbarians to me. Even in their "aliens aren't barbarians!" video the guy just took a bunch of anti-alien virtues, built a bunch of units, then went out and killed off all the nests near to him. I was waiting for the inevitable siege-worm attack on his capital to prove that the aliens aren't barbarians and can't be treated the same as them, but it never came.

There IS the global alien hostility meter versus your faction, that's a small change. However, as others have said, being able to whack ultrasonic fences on all your cities and have them affect your trade units as well does mean that aliens will likely become a non-factor outside of the early game.

I do get a chuckle out of the fact that the Harmony affinity - the one supposedly most pro-alien - allows you to murder twice as many aliens for the same amount of hate as the other two affinities. Perhaps a bonus for being friendly with the aliens rather than a smaller penalty for being hostile to them would have been a better design decision for Harmony?

15. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Think of Harmony not as "pro-Alien" but more like "pro-We survive, even if we end up looking a bit like all those Aliens we killed." :lol:

16. Alkyon

Alkyon Warlord

Or alternatively "We'll adapt to the planet and become the top of TWO food chains! Now who wants to go big-game hunting with me? Tonight's barbeque night!"

And sadly I don't think the aliens are all that more dramatic in this game than the barbarians are. But at least they got a nice strength upgrade so that they're something to be worried about early on.

17. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

I post this info here as it seems somehow on topic still. In the german lets play from Writing Bull he notes several times that according to info from Lena Brenk attacking natives with the city based rockets does not make the natives more hostile towards you, nor makes other human factions complain. Its as if they understand, when you're defending your "nest". I haven't noticed that in english discussions still (and i don't think it will be a well documented feature, with Pete holding back his fire in the first lifestream).

So don't hold them rockets back and don't build that ultrasonic fence too early, if you want to take out an early siege worm. But don't complain if it rots on your farm: you killed it, you clean it up!

18. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

I think damaging aliens with your city defenses when the aliens get too close for comfort is OK, but killing them in doing so may be a different story. I too wish this could be cleared up conclusively...are city defenses able to kill aliens without boosting alien aggression levels, or not?