1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Are city-states getting all clustered together now? (Fractal)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dearmad, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

There's some good and bad to this. One good thing is it gives you more room to expand and create a large empire. Civ5 sometimes annoyed me because I would have a city state right in the middle of my empire. Historically this may be more accurate when you think of areas that comprised of what we may think of city states (like Italy for many years). On the bad side from a gameplay perspective this is not ideal. I'm having a very difficult time meeting city states now. Only had 2 on my continent in my current game, and 1 was conquered, the other is extremely far away.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  2. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

They use to cluster in R&F but I do feel that it has become more extreme since GS. My current game has 5 or 6 isolated at the top of a continent. I was the first to meet all of them and had huge bonuses in the early game. I was leading in science in the medieval era on deity which is unheard of (at least in my games).

3. Icicle

Icicle Prince

In the three games I've played I noticed this too and I like it, city states clumped off to the side tend to actually survive past turn 20 or so.

4. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

In my first game as Sweden there was an island west of me consisting of three city states and a bit of space big enough for me to plop down a single city on. In my second game as Inca there was a huge area between me and Brazil populated with city states. In my third game as Eleanor, city states formed a long wall between me, Inca and the rest of the world.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They do, but as the poster above you stated, they give a huge early advantage to whomever meets them all first in the early game.

Dearmad likes this.
  6. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

This. Its a huge advantage to whoever finds them first.

Dearmad likes this.
  7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Which means either a ridiculously easy game or a rather frustrating one if you're playing Peracles or Matthias.

8. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Yeap, that is the explanation. Priority of the script is now to maximize spawning distance between main civs. The consequence is what you see about CS. I'm fine with that.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Unless you start somewhere with zero city-states. Then it sucks.

I might experiment with adding extra city-states to the map to even it out.

10. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

That'll probably mean more ending up in the tundra or on small islands.

11. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Wouldn't the spawn distance be greater if the CS were evenly distributed between the main civs?

12. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Maybe, but also more challenging... ;)

Apparently, before GS the script treated all civs and CS as "equal" when distributing them on the map, so we had that "perfect" landscape of main civs and CS mixed together... now, the script distributes the main civs first with the criteria of spawning them as far away as possible, and only then distributes the CS. Thus, the benefit of bigger distances between civs comes at the price of a somewhat more random placement of the CS (which is not even a given, I am finishing a game right now where the CS were well placed around the world without any clustering... and it's a fractal with high seas, mind you).

13. Eagle Pursuit

If they would at least communicate that this is the design intent, I would be content with it.

14. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

True, but at this point us veterans already know they are not the PR Masters of the game world, now are they? ;)

I think the design intent was a response to all those "we spawn too close to the AI" complaints, with the side effect (whether they know it or not) of having a little more randomness/craziness in CS placements...

15. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

From my new game, since we're on the topic :p

Kjimmet and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  16. Elric of Grans

Elric of Grans Chieftain

I had a game recently (Small Pangaea). Six city states were clustered in the north-east corner. In fact, when I first discovered them all one was still just a Settler and a Warrior (he found room to settle in the ice flows later). I was directly below them, with the equatorial rainforest diving us. To my west was a major civ, who I conquered early. It took a while, but I eventually found the other four major civs and the other two city states clustered in the north-west of the map. The entire centre and the south-west were empty (other than millions of barbarians, because no one was culling them).

The funny thing was I made use of my units and cities to ensure the other civs could never find the city states via land routes. I had basically won the game before anyone else had any envoys ;)

17. JosephC

JosephC Warlord

I noticed this before too, but with the expansion it seemed like I've been getting bigger clusters now. Wasn't sure so as a test I restarted and used the cheat "~reveal all" Did that about 6-7 times, and always ended up with at least one cluster of 4.
    The screen shot below was one of the more extreme cases with 9 city states in close proximity to one another. Was a Huge Map, looks like 14 Civs and 18 City States.. so half of the city states are in this area.
    City_States.jpg

Kjimmet and Red_warning like this.
  18. Kjimmet

Kjimmet Chieftain

That's what I would call one quite militarist island

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Red_warning likes this.
  19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

City states are actually quite normal in my current game (large continents map)