1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Corporations Destroying Culture? Are They Preventing Us From Developing A Refined Culture?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Joij21, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I was simply pointing out the bias in the text of the article. You're free to ignore it.

What you consider rational is an emotive opinion and not an actual appraisal of such.

As for a "Twitter storm", it was a series of tweets. That's what social media is for. It's no more a storm than your exaggerated grumbling about it is here one.

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Well naturally you’re a leftist limey, so it’s expected you’d complain about the source of an article :rolleyes:.

Excuse me, what? :huh:

If you think that someone offers a calm and rational appraisal of the situation is an “emotive opinion” in the article. Then you really have your priorities screwed up if you think someone who pisses and moans about a girl wearing a dress to the prom is rational.

Im sorry to burst your intellectual mind, but it is an actual appraisal of the situation. If you’re going to insult my intelligence when I brought up the article in regards to cultural appropriation, I refuse to go further and ending the discussion.

3. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Nothing about resorting to personal attacks is rational or calm.

If you take a critical look at the article as insulting your intelligence, then that's another reason to reconsider what "rational" means in this context.

Somebody had an opinion on Twitter. You're free to disagree with them. That's your opinion. It's nothing more than that though, and painting their opinion as a "storm" or the like is unfair. The same kind of unfair you dislike being done to your own statements, to boot.

4. GenMarshall

If you’re just going to continue with this on insulting my intelligence with your superior intellect, we’re done here.

5. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

GenMarshall. Stop acting like everyone's out to get you. Nobody is. Nobody cares about you enough to be.

aelf and Estebonrober like this.
  6. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Is there something insulting about a geisha outfit?

Weren't the Navajo recent immigrants to the SW? I thought they came from the Athabascan Canadian Indians a few centuries ago. The Hopi had a much longer history in the SW and were not all that happy with their arrival, the Navajo had a habit of raiding their crops. Symbolism seems to be largely 'universal' based on a shared mythology involving the cosmos and 'creation'. Just look at how many cultures depict a layered "Heaven", spiral patterns are common, celestial "stepped mountains", etc...

For example, when I was in SE Utah around the Moab area I stayed at a hotel owned by Koreans. I was really into the local Indian rock art (like Newspaper Rock) so I asked them if the number 7 was sacred in their culture too, sure enough it was and the woman seemed surprised by my inquiry.

Paul Simon got into trouble for his album "Graceland", he went to S Africa and collaborated with local musicians using their music and styles. I think its a great compliment, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But some people are so blinded by hate they cant see the obvious. Ask the people who worked with Simon, let them decide if they were offended.

I dont think its a coincidence the people accused of appropriation are usually white.

She's hot...and I see nothing wrong with the photo.

Do you really have to ask around to find offended people before laughing?

7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

One can make anything offensive good sir. I'm no too concerned about any of this stuff. I consider all culture human culture and you are either being insulting or you are not and it seems to me pretty clear when one crosses those lines. The prom pick is a good example of white American culture and mocking it has been a staple of mine for some time and I think anyone else is free to mock that stupidity as well. . .

I do not consider Led Zeppelin's use of blues songs to great success insulting cultural appropriation but some do, I just think they need to focus on more important things.

8. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I had to pull this quote from the clown car thread because it definitely belongs here. . .nothing speaks white male right winger like persecution complex. "Oh look at me, someone talked back to me and said my take was stupid I'm so offended!" is definitely white male to a tee.

I'm a left winger who doesn't care if you go dreadlock style and then accuse me of persecuting you as a whiner. More power to you. Go read some more about climate change and educate yourself. Your takes on it sound like flat earther talk still.

aelf likes this.
  9. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Canada has only been a country since 1867, so there were no "Canadian Indians" before that. They had their own bands, tribes, and chiefdoms, their own territories and trade agreements, and their own reasons for cooperation and conflict.

I'm not getting into the rest with you. That's off-topic for this thread

10. GenMarshall

Thank you for reinforcing the idea that leftists love to attack people with dissenting ideas.

Given how I'm insulted and called dumb. I'm not even going to consider leftist talking point. Congratulations, you've turned me off from those ideas. You call my takes that sound like "flat earther" talks, I counter that your takes are wokeist talking points.

11. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

oh no!

anyway

the left are the real snowflakes

aelf, Gorbles and Estebonrober like this.
  12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Yes, I mentioned Canada only to show where they were living (in what is now Canada). I'm sure both the Navajo here in the USA and Canadian Indians living in that original homeland today share religious symbols and iconography, so you may have 'appropriated' the culture of nearby Canadian Indians.

13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Hey you wanna bath in stupid, have a blast! Just don't cry about it when I compare you to flat earthers. btw I jsut agreed with you on the cultural appropriation thing being overblown, but I'm the one with the "wokiest" talking points? you are amazing

14. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

upload_2021-1-22_5-27-48.png

:)

(As for the pyramids, it was an allusion to the novel 1984)

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  16. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

So you weren’t born an adult like Athena?

tjs282 and Kyriakos like this.
  17. Valka D'Ur

Get enough snowflakes together that don't melt, and they can become a glacier. Glaciers move, advancing and retreating, and over enough time they can remake entire continents. Anyone calling me a snowflake with the intention of insulting me gets a 'thank you for the compliment' in return, and 99.9% of them have no idea why.

The nearest native reserve to here is Cree. I knew some of them in college, either as classmates or clients (when I had my typing business). Three of them were anthropology students, in the Native North American course, and not one of them mentioned any similarity between Pueblo art and the art of any native tribes in Western Canada.

Honestly, nothing I ever studied in any of my anthropology courses pertaining to tribes on this side of the 49th resembled the designs I made for the craft fairs. And if you're going to point at me and say "cultural appropriation"... the craft company that sold the patterns did it first.

Craft designs have trends just like everything else in consumer culture. It's a challenge to figure out what they are sometimes, or predict what people might like up to a year ahead (I started making Christmas stuff in June). One year at a Christmas craft fair, a woman walked up to my table, looked it over, and snarked at me, "You don't have any cows!"

Whereupon I learned that cows were the newest popular thing that year. So I went home and made some cow-themed items, and they sold.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Berzerker and GenMarshall like this.
  18. GenMarshall

I wished there was a condensed version that I can use to quote you :love:.

Valka D'Ur and Kyriakos like this.
  19. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I think that getting a "like", or even written comment, is a lot easier than having the other teen say a compliment to your face. It actually is a good strategy, teen-wise. I am sure I would be doing it too if I was a teen now and could decide that a pic I took was good ^_^
    Like some others of my generation, I had no idea some people liked me at school, cause no one dared to speak.

tjs282 and Samson like this.
  20. Valka D'Ur

There's a more eloquent version (not short, unfortunately) elsewhere in OT. I haven't figured out a shorter way to say it that covers all necessary points.

I appreciate that you like it, though. :hug: