1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are gamers more intelligent?

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by aimeeandbeatles, May 9, 2009.

1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I've often found that gamers are the most intelligent people I know. Is it just me, or does anybody else notice it? :) Especially on CFC. The occasional weirdo but most people here (not including me) know what they're talking about. From lurking in OT.

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    My guess would be depending on the game the person play.

I tend to play a lot of FPS though, More often playing L4D. Though sensory, I've noticed that I tend to use a lot of Acoustic Location (passive) to keep an ear out for special infected (I am very sensitive to the witch and will detect her crying early). Multiplayer wise, there is a bunch of tactics involved to stay alive (or outsmart the survivors while on Verses mode).

While I can pick out the sound of different special infected, I still cant pick up on the tones within Mandarin Chinese :lol:.

Other FPS, typical would involve puzzles (Portal, a big First Person Puzzle game)

3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Well, obviously not all gamers. But it stands to reason that people with a certain level of intelligence will be attracted to certain games. (And then there's games and there's games.)

As for FPSs, IMO it's more a matter of sense-hand coordination (i.e. reflexes) than intelligence.

One can train one's intelligence with certain games, but true intelligence isn't about games at all. (Unless you like to think life's a game, after all. But is that intelligent?)

All in all, an intelligent question.;)

4. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

For all my skills at destroying Dr. Breen's Teleporter I still get confused when my lawnmower cord refuses to be pulled

5. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

Intelligent people play games, rather than gamers being intelligent.

Games do have some intelligent value, it did actually teach me some basic history, especially the History section in Age of Empires II. They also work well as educational supplements. If you gamed from an early age with such strategy games, you will get more interested in history than other people.

Actually, the only reason why I watch documentaries or read history books is because of games.

However, gaming started my historical knowledge, but it is obviously not the only research implement you use. Or else there would be no WW1 in your mind. :p

6. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Playing too much makes one less intelligent; a lot less. :p

7. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Gamers as a whole group are not more intelligent than anyone else, especialyl since lots of gamers may only have a few games and are rather normal people. And there are many, many, many stupid "people" who play games.

8. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Hate to burst your bubble, but a lot of the OT-ers don't even play Civ.

Like others have said, while intelligent people play games, gamers are not necessarily intelligent. In fact, one of my friends is an avid gamer and academic, yet I'd describe his social graces as... below-average at best.

9. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Well, a lot of them *used* to at least. If they didn't, why'd they join a Civ forum? :lol:

10. MajorGeneral2

MajorGeneral2 Just happy to be here

My guess is that you simply prefer being around smart people, and thus seek them out. Since video games are very popular across a broad range of people, many of your intelligent friends also happen to play them. If you preferred hanging around nitwits all day, you'd probably have quite a different opinion on the correlation between gaming and intelligence.

Believe it or not, you can't take it for granted. I'm a fan of the webcomic Megatokyo, but there are a couple people on the MT forum who did not realise for a while that there even was a comic attached to the board - including one current moderator!

Sometimes, if a board manages to build some active subforum outside its original source (like CFC's All Other Games or World History) then even people who never cared for the site's original purpose (Civilization for CFC) will be attracted to that community, perhaps by a friend's recommendation or just random browsing, and stick around.

11. Maniacal

HOW can anyone be that BLIND?

12. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

I suck at school and I am a gamer.

13. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Judging from the posts on this forum, gamers are as dumb as dog crap.

14. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

There are a lot of intelligent people who play games online. There are also a lot of incredible numbskulls who do the same. Try taking a look at the Gamefaqs or Gamespot forums if you really think all gamers are more intelligent. You will be cured of that delusion in about ten seconds. :lol:

15. Maniacal

Any kind of forum or comment system (espeicially comment systems, most especially comments) are a huge attractino for people to be complete idiots.

16. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Or play Halo online...

17. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

Well, being a master in games by Paradox requires a PhD and a Mensa membership... :crazyeye:

18. LightFang

LightFang "I'm the hero!"

I'm sorry. :(

19. Peck of Arabia

Peck of Arabia Sociable Recluse

Are gamers more intelligent? Hmm, looking at myself as a case study, I've been playing strategy games for as long as I remember Civ, AOE, RON and very big into Paradox Games recently (Past 2-3 years)

What they used to do was give me a false sense of intelligence and a smug satisfaction leading to complacency. When I finally awoke from this arrogance I realised, sure, my history was well honed but I'm very much lacking in a lot of areas, including common sense, social skills, anything possibly regarded as practical and useful in the real world. I contribute a lot of what is wrong with my life at the minute, including the "nice, but dim" persona I feel most natural with, to computer games.

And yet I never learn!

20. Bratmon

Bratmon Super Bratmon 3

If you're a smart person, odds are you're not good at sports. Then you need to find another way to spend your time.