Are gamers more intelligent?

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
I've often found that gamers are the most intelligent people I know. Is it just me, or does anybody else notice it? :) Especially on CFC. The occasional weirdo but most people here (not including me) know what they're talking about. From lurking in OT.

My guess would be depending on the game the person play.

I tend to play a lot of FPS though, More often playing L4D. Though sensory, I've noticed that I tend to use a lot of Acoustic Location (passive) to keep an ear out for special infected (I am very sensitive to the witch and will detect her crying early). Multiplayer wise, there is a bunch of tactics involved to stay alive (or outsmart the survivors while on Verses mode).

While I can pick out the sound of different special infected, I still cant pick up on the tones within Mandarin Chinese :lol:.

Other FPS, typical would involve puzzles (Portal, a big First Person Puzzle game)

I've often found that gamers are the most intelligent people I know. Is it just me, or does anybody else notice it? :) Especially on CFC. The occasional weirdo but most people here (not including me) know what they're talking about. From lurking in OT.

Well, obviously not all gamers. But it stands to reason that people with a certain level of intelligence will be attracted to certain games. (And then there's games and there's games.)

As for FPSs, IMO it's more a matter of sense-hand coordination (i.e. reflexes) than intelligence.

One can train one's intelligence with certain games, but true intelligence isn't about games at all. (Unless you like to think life's a game, after all. But is that intelligent?)

All in all, an intelligent question.;)

For all my skills at destroying Dr. Breen's Teleporter I still get confused when my lawnmower cord refuses to be pulled

Intelligent people play games, rather than gamers being intelligent.

Games do have some intelligent value, it did actually teach me some basic history, especially the History section in Age of Empires II. They also work well as educational supplements. If you gamed from an early age with such strategy games, you will get more interested in history than other people.

Actually, the only reason why I watch documentaries or read history books is because of games.

However, gaming started my historical knowledge, but it is obviously not the only research implement you use. Or else there would be no WW1 in your mind. :p

Playing too much makes one less intelligent; a lot less. :p

Gamers as a whole group are not more intelligent than anyone else, especialyl since lots of gamers may only have a few games and are rather normal people. And there are many, many, many stupid "people" who play games.

aimeeandbeatles said:
From lurking in OT.
Hate to burst your bubble, but a lot of the OT-ers don't even play Civ.

Like others have said, while intelligent people play games, gamers are not necessarily intelligent. In fact, one of my friends is an avid gamer and academic, yet I'd describe his social graces as... below-average at best.

Hate to burst your bubble, but a lot of the OT-ers don't even play Civ.

Well, a lot of them *used* to at least. If they didn't, why'd they join a Civ forum? :lol:

aimeeandbeatles said:
I've often found that gamers are the most intelligent people I know.
My guess is that you simply prefer being around smart people, and thus seek them out. Since video games are very popular across a broad range of people, many of your intelligent friends also happen to play them. If you preferred hanging around nitwits all day, you'd probably have quite a different opinion on the correlation between gaming and intelligence.

Well, a lot of them *used* to at least. If they didn't, why'd they join a Civ forum?
Believe it or not, you can't take it for granted. I'm a fan of the webcomic Megatokyo, but there are a couple people on the MT forum who did not realise for a while that there even was a comic attached to the board - including one current moderator!

Sometimes, if a board manages to build some active subforum outside its original source (like CFC's All Other Games or World History) then even people who never cared for the site's original purpose (Civilization for CFC) will be attracted to that community, perhaps by a friend's recommendation or just random browsing, and stick around.

Believe it or not, you can't take it for granted. I'm a fan of the webcomic Megatokyo, but there are a couple people on the MT forum who did not realise for a while that there even was a comic attached to the board - including one current moderator!

HOW can anyone be that BLIND?

There are a lot of intelligent people who play games online. There are also a lot of incredible numbskulls who do the same. Try taking a look at the Gamefaqs or Gamespot forums if you really think all gamers are more intelligent. You will be cured of that delusion in about ten seconds. :lol:

Well, being a master in games by Paradox requires a PhD and a Mensa membership... :crazyeye:

Are gamers more intelligent? Hmm, looking at myself as a case study, I've been playing strategy games for as long as I remember Civ, AOE, RON and very big into Paradox Games recently (Past 2-3 years)

What they used to do was give me a false sense of intelligence and a smug satisfaction leading to complacency. When I finally awoke from this arrogance I realised, sure, my history was well honed but I'm very much lacking in a lot of areas, including common sense, social skills, anything possibly regarded as practical and useful in the real world. I contribute a lot of what is wrong with my life at the minute, including the "nice, but dim" persona I feel most natural with, to computer games.

And yet I never learn!

If you're a smart person, odds are you're not good at sports. Then you need to find another way to spend your time.

Top Bottom