are humans inherently good?

galdre

Emperor
sparked by a comment in the "What best describes your beliefs in religion, God, and the afterlife" thread

so are humans inherently good? bad? neither?

I think humans are inherently selfish

Yeah, generally speaking, I think inherently good.

I'm inherently good, I just don't vacuum my flat as much as I should. :blush:

I think people are neutral to good. But are fairly easily swayed to evil.

sparked by a comment in the "What best describes your beliefs in religion, God, and the afterlife" thread

so are humans inherently good? bad? neither?

I think humans are inherently selfish

By an absolute definition, bad, we've all done sinful things.

By a relative definition, still bad, but not as much so. There are more criminals then there are people who make a large positive difference, and even non-criminals are often selfish and such.

It's true, I confess.... I've sinned. And it was way fun.

When sinning involves boobies, it's okay. God understands. :lol:

how do you explain crime then? If all people are good, why do some do things we consider bad/evil?

There are always exceptions to the rule. ;)

There are also many reasons people break the law, and I expect the minority of them are the result of "inherent evil".

Some are, some are not.

No, at least not any more so than they are inherently bad. The bald ape is too complex and varied a species to be described in such glib terms.

It's true, I confess.... I've sinned. And it was way fun.

When sinning involves boobies, it's okay. God understands. :lol:

Amen to that, brother.

everybody is inherently bad cuz we are all selfish and arrogant but you can become good, this life is a test,we are all bad but can we make ourselves good

Here's one point of view...

"Are humans inherently good?" is a false question ridden with assumptions. "Good" is entirely a human construct and it changes depending on who you are and when you're living. What's good for one group of people is often not necessarily regarded as good for another group, or even for the same group in a different century. What's good for the swooping eagle may not be good for the running rabbit.

Replace the concept of "good" with the idea of "conducive to survival". Whatever humans variously define as good at various times is whatever allows that group of humans to survive and possibly prosper. What is not good - or evil in some societies or sinful in some cultures - is simply what would endanger the survival of that particular group of humans and its established culture and way of life.

So reword the question like this: "Do humans inherently act in a way beneficial to their group's survival?" And of course the answer is, by and large yes; otherwise that group would have died out long ago. And guess what: humans are not alone in this. All successful life-forms do this. You can call it group-selfishness if you like. It's just survival.

Here's one point of view...

"Are humans inherently good?" is a false question ridden with assumptions. "Good" is entirely a human construct and it changes depending on who you are and when you're living. What's good for one group of people is often not necessarily regarded as good for another group, or even for the same group in a different century. What's good for the swooping eagle may not be good for the running rabbit.

Replace the concept of "good" with the idea of "conducive to survival". Whatever humans variously define as good at various times is whatever allows that group of humans to survive and possibly prosper. What is not good - or evil in some societies or sinful in some cultures - is simply what would endanger the survival of that particular group of humans and its established culture and way of life.

So reword the question like this: "Do humans inherently act in a way beneficial to their group's survival?" And of course the answer is, by and large yes; otherwise that group would have died out long ago. And guess what: humans are not alone in this. All successful life-forms do this. You can call it group-selfishness if you like. It's just survival.

I agree that selfishness is based in the survival instinct

I don't think all morals are relative though. Yes, something like dietary restrictions are completely relative, but I see certain acts as simply wrong/bad/evil (whatever label you want). I admit that's it's a bit subjective on my part, but if someone really wants to argue against, for example, rape being wrong then I consider them a lost cause anyway.

Perhaps it's the romantic in me who can't shake the "way things ought to be" view of life and the world, which is, admittedly, subjective

Only religious persons and philosophers who take themselves too seriously try to cram human beings into their neat little systems. Humans aren't inherently good or evil any more than platonic 'Forms' exist, and to declare either/or is arrogant.

Top Bottom