1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Laboratories worth it?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Alraun, Jun 24, 2006.

1. ownedbyakorat

ownedbyakorat Warlord

Labs are most useful if you get them relatively early (research that branch before other modern techs), a 25% bonus isn't anything to sneeze at when you have at least 100 more turns of tech researching to do. Why not put them in top science cities, that's what those cities are there for, right? If you don't need the faster research, then you can translate that to cash with the slider, instead.

2. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

No it wont.

3. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

OK on a purely commerce Basis

The Cost of a Lab is 300 Hammers, to Gold Rush that in
    1. a city that has Factories, etc. costs 450 Gold
    2. a Generic City costs 900 gold

The Gold would cost you
    450 Gold=225 Base Commerce
    900 Gold=450 Base Commerce

Assuming all cities have Gold buildings (otherwise Gold=Base Commerce)

The Science yield that Commerce would give (assuming all the 'non-Lab' buildings everywhere..+75%) is
    1575..no Factory, No Banks
    787.5... either Factories or Banks
    393.75...both Factories And Banks

Now because a Lab gives +25%, that means it must be applied to a certain number of BASE flasks to be worthwhile
    6300..no Factory, No Banks
    3150... either Factories or Banks
    1575...both Factories And Banks

So assuming a High commerce City (140 is the max, so we'll say 1/2 of that=70... and we'll say science is at 90%... so 63)
    a Lab will pay itself off for Research
    in
    or
    25 turns depending on how developed you are

Given how late they are available, unless you rush to them, and have a well developed Rushing Empire (Banks pretty much everywhere)

They really aren't much worth it (I'd say if they are in the 50 turns, its worth it... 100 turns no)

Of course at that point in the game you should know if you are planning on a Space Race or Not... So they are definitely worth it in most productive cities for a Space Race, and also in Really high Commerce Cities... but not really otherwise. [Like I said if you are well equipped for rush with multiple banks and beelined to them from Physics, yeah, otherwise no]

4. Alraun

Alraun Warlord

Are bombers useful? The only (non-naval) late game units I use are tanks and modern armor and given what I've seen of the other stuff I haven't seen any reason to try anything else.

5. Pbhead

Pbhead Hail the Byzantines

i think it really depends on the games speed... in the quick and normal.. things just happen so fast! and when thinks happen fast you dont quite the same benefit

6. Cookie Crumbs

Cookie Crumbs Emperor

There's really no need for Medicine, just research Refrigeration for Supermarkets as long as you have the appropriate resources. It's on the way to Genetics so it's all good.