1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Libertarians Inherently Selfish?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LightFang, Jun 11, 2008.

?

Are libertarians inherently selfish?

1. Yes.

50.6%
  2. No.

40.2%
  3. This radioactive monkey could hurt Obama politically.

9.2%
  1. LightFang

LightFang "I'm the hero!"

Poll coming.

In short, libertarians prioritize individual liberty and wish to diminish the role of the state. Generally they wish for a very small government. Most would probably advocate a limited government that could collect very low taxes and serve very limited purposes (probably just minimal police protection), choosing instead of privatize everything else.

Along with this view comes the idea that the workings of other people are generally not their business, be it in the same town or people in other countries. Does this make them selfish? Or does it just mean they want liberty for all?

2. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Libertarians are inherently selfish, which is not a bad thing, necessarily.

3. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

All men are selfish
    All libertarians are men
    Therefore all libertarians are selfish

4. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan The Ruler of Cattle

I don't give a rats ass about you. Does that make me selfish or mean?

5. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Yes, but it's not selfish to the extent that they genuinely believe that selfishness leads to a prosperous society. They're selfish to the extent that they're spoiled college-aged crybabies who overestimate their own intelligence and feel that their over-privileged selves have the right to not contribute to society.

There are good libertarians, but said libertarians are not axiomatic in their libertarianism.

Moderator Action: Trolling - warned.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Not all. Some are just Know-nothings.

7. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan The Ruler of Cattle

Some of us in that group arn't well off at all o_O

8. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Sure they're selfish. Why, do you think that's a problem?

9. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depends on the libertarian.

10. Fetus4188

Fetus4188 Deity

I think it is part of the libertarian mindset that all entities are selfish: people, governments, corporations. To act in one's own self interest is only rational. The idea behind it is to harness this "selfishness" rather than trying to fight against it.

11. MOTH

MOTH Emperor

I am voting no on this one. I would much rather be able to earmark my money to those areas where it is most needed, as opposed to big gov't taking my money and spending it on stupid stuff.

IE: Give me less taxes and I will spend my savings on what I think will be the biggest benefit for mankind (and thus me and my progeny).

12. LuckyAC

LuckyAC Immortal

No (at least not inherently, there are certainly selfish individuals), since libertarians believe the free market (+control for externalities, public goods and monopolies) will create the greatest total social utility, which is hardly a selfish goal. If I were selfish, I would want a welfare state, since I don't like working.

13. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

cant speak for others, but it aint selfishness... I just lack the moral authority to run your life, to make your decisions for you. If gov't didn't exist and I went around trying to impose my will on people they'd shoot my ass ;)

14. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

If the government didn't exist, I'd shoot your ass just for the hell of it.

Fact is, it's a good thing the government interferes with some aspects of people's lives because some aspects of people's lives need some damn government control.

15. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Everyone is inherently selfish.

16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Hell dont give you the moral authority to be shooting people, neither does government.

And you'll be deciding which aspects and which people need to have their freedom taken away... My post was about moral authority, where did yers come from? If I'm selfish because I refuse to take your freedom, wtf are you for taking our freedom away?

17. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

What the hell does moral authority have anything to do with anarchy? He just has to shoot you cuz he feels like it.

18. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Jesus H Christ, I said
    The obvious implication being these people shooting at me have the moral authority to be shooting at me. Perfekt says he'd shoot me for the hell of it. Wtf does that have to do with anything. Its a stupid "response"... It aint even a response, its meaningless. He completely missed the point about moral authority...and so did you.

Are you saying moral authority doesn't exist without government?

19. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

20. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I think there are a lot of libertarians that hide behind "liberty" and use it as carte blanche for demanding from society only what benefits them. That's not only selfish, but intellectually dishonest, and insulting and disrespectful to true liberal ideals.