Are magrails worth prioritizing first?

s0nny80y

Emperor
I think since trade vessels got needed, maybe trade by rail is worth prioritizing? What do you think?

Not really sure what you are trying to say, but in regards to the thread question: I don't think magrails are necessary in SP games - and you should certainly not rush them.

Remember that they have a rather high construction time, so you'd need an army of workers to establish connections within a reasonable timeframe - and unless I am mistaken they still completely replace roads, so you would lose your option for quick city connections.

I wanted to make a thread "my rant on magrail" but with this post I feel free to hijack a bit of this thread :)

So my rant is: "WHY ISN'T IT A SPECIAL ICON FOR SHOWING A CITY MAG-CONNECTED TO THE CAPITAL???"
It's such a CHORE to try to see if every bit of road had been replaced by magrail when you manually try to connect your cities.

Of course you can assign your workers automatically just for that, but you will have to deal with the AI focus then ;)

A distinctive icon in the city banner would be helpful (it would also be helpful for railroad connections in CiV for that matter), but manually checking tiles isn't the most efficient way to determine whether cities have magrail connections.

Just go to the city screen for a given city. Mouse hover over that city's production number. It should have a modifier "Modifier for Magrail Connection: 20%". If it does, you're done. If it doesn't, then you will need to check tile-by-tile for missing magrail segments.

Of course you can assign your workers automatically just for that, but you will have to deal with the AI focus then ;)
There is actually an easier way: Just use the "build road to" option. The worker will start to replace the existing road network pretty efficiently, even if you set the target multiple cities away. :)

Magrails are great for portal-based victories, especially Purity one with it's slow Earth settlers. But that's actually end-game.

Early on they aren't really needed as you just don't have worker resources.

I don't see any connection with trade vessels being nerfed and I usually don't beeline them. But I'll pick up the tech in every purity and supremacy game. A lot of the reasons have already been stated, I just quickly want to add some more:
(1) The tech also unlocks alloy foundries which are (almost) always useful because titanium has high priority (for me) when determining city spots.
(2) Defensive magrails are so good it can hardly be overstated.
(Purity) It unlocks a purity affinity tech.
(Supremacy) No maintenance cost.

There is actually an easier way: Just use the "build road to" option. The worker will start to replace the existing road network pretty efficiently, even if you set the target multiple cities away. :)

Yeah, it's possible like that.
However, in practice, you want to assign as much worker as you can so that you can finish the rail faster. The turn cost is pretty high.
But guess WHAT happen when you assign 2 workers with the "build road" option? :crazyeye: :hammer2: :mad:

Browd's idea is actually the best, I though as well about it just 1h after my post lol :)

Btw, I already asked in another thread, but do you know if coastal cities have automatically magrail production bonus? I guess not but it's easy to test with Browd solution but I won't be able to play during this week for sure. (who the hell invented gf's parents :rolleyes:)

I rarely end up with carriers in my games because to get them I must give up roads. I think it's totally lame that you can no longer build roads after you get the mag rail tech. Quick roads are huge in combat logistics and giving that up is unacceptable.

I'm not sure I've ever built one...

They are handy late game (especially with those slow Purity settlers!) but early game they are more a liability than a bonus; they take up lots of worker turns and when they are finally done they cost so much maintenance that the city connection won't pay for the energy cost.

Only take them early if you are going Supremacy (for the lvl 3 free roads/magrails bonus).

They are handy late game (especially with those slow Purity settlers!) but early game they are more a liability than a bonus; they take up lots of worker turns and when they are finally done they cost so much maintenance that the city connection won't pay for the energy cost.

Only take them early if you are going Supremacy (for the lvl 3 free roads/magrails bonus).

I only take them early if I'm going Supremacy...
I take them late for the Purity settlers...
otherwise I don't take them at all, it's not worth the cost.

I'm not sure I've ever built one...
You absolutely should try them! With 20% free production they're one of the most efficient ways of pushing your science (by getting buildings done faster and then having more time using a stronger science focus) - and it's not even really an "investment" to get that tech, because it's a base tech that leads to affinity techs.

@topic:
I don't think they're that useful early on, but instead fit perfectly in that time after getting tile improvement tech and whatever you need to support them.

Btw, I already asked in another thread, but do you know if coastal cities have automatically magrail production bonus?
Just did some quick tests with the Ingame Editor AddOn and no, water-connections don't seem to get that modifier at all.

Just did some quick tests with the Ingame Editor AddOn and no, water-connections don't seem to get that modifier at all.

Thanks for testing!
That sucks, but, oh well, have to deal with it :)

I prioritize getting them after academies when playing Supremacy. Really great for getting SABRs out to the front lines quicker.

Personally, I deprioritize them, since getting them means inability to build normal roads.

For me, in expansion phase, it is more important to get cities quickly connected, then to get faster travel and city connections slower. Thus, while in expansion phase, I avoid magrail tech, until I connect all cities.

Top Bottom