Are Maps More Beautiful Now?

blackbutterfly

Emperor
IDK if it's R&F or the 2/7/18 patch but maps really look quite stunning now.

Has there been a change to the graphics? (Or it could be as a result of an upgraded NVIDIA game ready driver).

I do love the little rotating animation for natural wonders now :thumbsup:

Can't say I've noticed maps in general being more or less beautiful (though I'm still early on in my first game), but agreed on this - I absolutely love the new animations for natural wonders. Much more immersive than before and lets you really appreciate them.

Can't say I've noticed maps in general being more or less beautiful (though I'm still early on in my first game), but agreed on this - I absolutely love the new animations for natural wonders. Much more immersive than before and lets you really appreciate them.

I'm not interested in the animations - seeing them once is enough.
They are the complete opposite of immersive for me, as are the
leader graphics, and the annoying nagging from (especially)
Alexander and Gorge

I'm waiting to see how the Ynamp Terra maps look in R&F. Some
of them were absolutely stunning pre-expansion.

Has there been a change to the graphics? (Or it could be as a result of an upgraded NVIDIA game ready driver).

Not that it's ever been bad, and it might be just in my head, but moving around the terrain just seems snappier than before.

Also (and I don't know why this is) but I can zoom full in now. I could not before and hadn't changed any hardware.

They look the same to me, but obviously in a golden age they will look more "bright". One thing I enjoy doing is getting rid of the tile lines and resource icons. Unfortunately I can usually only do this in the beginning of the game. I really need those on when controlling lots of builders as I can't tell what's what. But I suggest everyone try that at least once a game, the map looks much better.

And I'd say the map looks a lot better in the early game before a lot of districts and things make the map look too "busy".

I've noticed a lot more lakes. I enjoy this. And I also do not know why but I actually enjoy the way the game looks during a dark age. Makes the map look better to me IMO. But going from Dark Age to Golden Age WILL hurt your eyes. Be warned.

I'm waiting to see how the Ynamp Terra maps look in R&F. Some
of them were absolutely stunning pre-expansion.

If you like YnAMP, try one of the "United Nations" Earth maps -> https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1201247503

TSL support is alpha/beta RN so I recommend NOT playing TSL if it's your first time with these maps. "The New World" is particularly beautiful :)

They look the same to me...

I think NVIDIA must've optimised the settings for the game ready driver that shipped the same time as R&F. I'm certainly seeing an improvement in graphics.

Last edited:
They look the same to me, but obviously in a golden age they will look more "bright". One thing I enjoy doing is getting rid of the tile lines and resource icons. Unfortunately I can usually only do this in the beginning of the game. I really need those on when controlling lots of builders as I can't tell what's what. But I suggest everyone try that at least once a game, the map looks much better.

And I'd say the map looks a lot better in the early game before a lot of districts and things make the map look too "busy".
For tile Grid and resource icons the ‘G’ and ‘Q’ keys respectively are your friends. Toggle them on and off easily at your convenience.

The map scripts definitely seem to be more varied now.

If you like YnAMP, try one of the "United Nations" Earth maps -> https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1201247503

TSL support is alpha/beta RN so I recommend NOT playing TSL if it's your first time with these maps. "The New World" is particularly beautiful :)

Thanks, I will - if they come in ludicrous size, i.e. 200 x 100 tiles at least.

I find the standard version of Civ very unsatisfying, a bit Mickey Mouse.
It's a very different game with all available civs competing for resources,
wonders and great people on a maximum size map.
Firaxis should honour Gedemon with a Great (Terra) Engineer card.
It doesn't do have to do anything, maybe just transport you temporarily to
the nearest fjord so you can take a moment to watch Norwegian Blue
parrots in their natural surroundings. :)

I think NVIDIA must've optimised the settings for the game ready driver that shipped the same time as R&F. I'm certainly seeing an improvement in graphics.

Possibly. I think it's more likely that Firaxis programmers have been
optimising some sections of the code, as well as removing all manner of
debugging detritus, inspection points in the code, etc.

I agree though, it feels just a little bit slicker. Same with the (non-R&F)
Linux version.

Thanks, I will - if they come in ludicrous size, i.e. 200 x 100 tiles at least.

Oh, I think you will be very happy :D
(There even is an almost 200x200 map which is the "whole map". I can't play it cos my machine isn't capable.)

I also recommend Scrambled Australia (but I haven't updated it for R&F yet. I'm still trying to finish my first R&F game).

Oh, I think you will be very happy :D
(There even is an almost 200x200 map which is the "whole map". I can't play it cos my machine isn't capable.)

I also recommend Scrambled Australia (but I haven't updated it for R&F yet. I'm still trying to finish my first R&F game).

Thanks again. I just saw the size of your map.
It was 42C here yesterday, so it's "Fried Australia" not "scrambled". :)

Top Bottom