Are People already drifting away from Civ VI?

Are People already drifting away from Civ VI?

• Total voters
I still play Civ 6 with other games like Planet Zoo, Crusader Kings 3, Assasins Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, and Dota 2 in between.

Civ 6 is still my top game in terms of total hours played.

Now anticipating Far Cry 6 and Jurassic World Evolution 2.

That wasn't by any chance Cold Waters, was it? I just did the same thing. :)
Yeah it has a lot of the same basic strategy as Civ6 but is less hectic. (managing one submarine instead of 10 cities)

I probably spent more time modding the game into something I wanted to play, than actually playing. I gave up. I’m ready for a strategy game like civ, but I think civ has been drifting away from strategy and into cute micromanagement tile puzzle genre. I want meaningful choices, politics, drama, intrigue and something that surprises me and isn’t afraid to step on some toes - not just a boardgame that happens to be on a computer. I feel like civ6 is a literal boardgame that gets super tedious later on - like monopoly. I’m tired of civ6 and always has been. I’m worried that firaxis is gonna make civ7 an even bigger mess. So in a way, I’m at the point where they save the franchise or I give up entirely.

I admit I feel "done" with the game. Well over 3000 hours, I played the hell out of it. Loved it. And I still love it over that other game I spent $50 for that is supposedly better that came out recently. I just can't get into that game, even despite everyone saying it's better. I don't get what I'm missing. But perhaps I'm just too used to the Civ style of gameplay, and anything else just feels weird and clunky. Will I return? Hard to say. I'm struggling figuring out what I should do with my life (my personal life that is, my professional life is fine). I keep thinking I need to give up video games. Easier said than done when you don't have much of a social life.

I still have a lot of fun in the early game. The first half of the game is always exciting to me. It's keeping the interest alive in the 2nd half that is the challenge these days.

I probably spent more time modding the game into something I wanted to play, than actually playing. I gave up. I’m ready for a strategy game like civ, but I think civ has been drifting away from strategy and into cute micromanagement tile puzzle genre. I want meaningful choices, politics, drama, intrigue and something that surprises me and isn’t afraid to step on some toes - not just a boardgame that happens to be on a computer. I feel like civ6 is a literal boardgame that gets super tedious later on - like monopoly. I’m tired of civ6 and always has been. I’m worried that firaxis is gonna make civ7 an even bigger mess. So in a way, I’m at the point where they save the franchise or I give up entirely.

Every time I start the planning for this I realize that I am basically reinventing Civ4

I need to buy a cheap laptop and install that instead

I've personnally uninstalled Civ VI and moved on to Old World. I don't like the state in which they left Civ VI. That they don't fix something as simple as this is beyond me.

They left Civ Rev 2 with some ridiculous game breaking bugs as well.

Moderator Action: Post edited to remove trolling/flaming text. As has been said previously, critiques of the game are welcome, but hyper critical comments casting aspersions on Firaxis staff is a line too far. ~ LK

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm done with Civ 6. Played many hours and enjoyed much of it despite the non-existent AI. Seriously, it is embarrassing the state the AI has been left in.

Humankind is far more interesting to me atm as it is beautiful, has interesting new mechanics and an AI that attacks you - and not just in the first 50 turns. Loving the limited stacking and the epic battles. Fingers crossed for a Lord of the Rings mod.

I'm not missing workers from Civ one little bit.

Last edited:
I guess the civ itch, if any, will have to be relieved by either Vox Populi or Civ 4. I always thought Civ 4 was a local Maxima and they would put their act together after the Civ 5 vanilla Shafer's debacle... and it seemed that way with how they "rescued" Shafer's "work". But now I think Civ 4 was truly a global Maxima, and they just won't have the skills, resources, willingness and overlords to go back to a maxima like that anymore.

Sad, but oh well... the king is dead (?), long live the King! (or play the previous Kings)

With humankind and the other games that are around I think that yes, people are kind of drifting away until Civilization 7 comes out.

I love Civ VI, and it has become one of my favorite games, but after 1000 hours, playing with every civ I care to, and getting gud(-ish) at deity, I'm done with it. As others have mentioned, the lack of updates since the April patch (which I was hoping would be the first of many) really took the wind out of the game's sails.

Hopefully VII leaves the board-gamey feel and robotic, agenda-based AI behind. If not, I can spend my time/money elsewhere. I've been getting really into CK3 and recently tried the Civ V vox populi mod, which was pretty fun (and I usually don't like using mods).

And I still love it over that other game I spent $50 for that is supposedly better that came out recently. I just can't get into that game, even despite everyone saying it's better.

I agree here. I drifted away from "that other game" after only a couple dozen hours. Every run felt the same, a lot of features are half-baked or poorly implemented, and I feel like I was overcharged at $50. Though I am happy for the players who are getting a lot out of it, especially those burnt out on civ.

With humankind and the other games that are around I think that yes, people are kind of drifting away until Civilization 7 comes out.

Don't think it's the case, Civ VI hasn't dropped from Top-20 played games on Steam in years (in addition to console and other platform players) and the VI Anthology is currently high on the top sellers.
I guess the discounts have brought lots of new players.

Humankind on the other hand as I write this has 2400 players on Steam and review score 'Mixed' so it is definately something people have moved on from. (11 year old Civ 5 has 12 000 for comparison)

CivFanatics Forums is clearly most active when there is something new on the horizon, on reddit the front page is all new threads each day.

I still wonder if the lack of discussion in the civ6 section is related to the lack of offer/demand for customization.

I've just had a look at the page for the latest posts on CFC:

• 13 colosseum (most in Off-topic)
  • 12 civ4 (various, ie not only C&C, but also Strategy or GOTM)
  • 8 civ5 (mostly, if not all for VP)
  • 5 Humankind
  • 4 Ideas & Suggestions (forum is under civ6, but posts are mostly about civ7)
  • 3 civ3
  • 2 civ2
  • 1 civ6 (2 with this one)
Ok, it's a small sample, but yet...

PiR I think you are on the right track, lot of the discussion have moved on to platforms other than forums, where the users and new fans are generally younger.

I think cfc has the "grognards" and older fans of tje series so even Civ 3 boards etc have activity.

PiR, aren't you that guy that helps with civ 5 RFC?
You are!
Nice
Anyways - humankind (also called the civ killer, but I doubt it( don't do it to me mods please) doesn't look like it had the best of starts, I heard it has mixed reviews. Most of you guys will probably move back to civ when they release civ 7, but will they ever release that in time? My prediction is in 2023 because - civ 4 was released in 2005.
Civ 5? in 2010, 5 years later after civ 4.
Civ 6? 6 years later.
Civ 7? 2023, 7 years later, although I doubt they'll release it that quick

Reactions: PiR
Most of you guys will probably move back to civ when they release civ 7
I'm sorry, but after all this experience of mine with Civ 6, hell will freeze over and thaw again a couple of times, before I consider something in relation with Civ 7, if at all. Another 5 years of bug infested series of NFP-like packs? When the most trivial things remain unfixed for months or even years, before we even talk about the state of the AI and UI? No, thanks.

Don't think it's the case, Civ VI hasn't dropped from Top-20 played games on Steam in years (in addition to console and other platform players) and the VI Anthology is currently high on the top sellers.
I guess the discounts have brought lots of new players.

Humankind on the other hand as I write this has 2400 players on Steam and review score 'Mixed' so it is definately something people have moved on from. (11 year old Civ 5 has 12 000 for comparison)

CivFanatics Forums is clearly most active when there is something new on the horizon, on reddit the front page is all new threads each day.

I googled it and you're right, yeah that's true.

I'm sorry, but after all this experience of mine with Civ 6, hell will freeze over and thaw again a couple of times, before I consider something in relation with Civ 7, if at all. Another 5 years of bug infested series of NFP-like packs? When the most trivial things remain unfixed for months or even years, before we even talk about the state of the AI and UI? No, thanks.
I think most of the Players here won't purchase Civ 7 at release and for some Time after that. Most of us will wait till some couple of DLCs are out, and we are sure that the AI and UI are better than in Civ 6, and that the Game is overall in a decent condition. I don't think anyone here is ever going to support a game whose responsibles (I'm not talking about Devs) don't even bother to fix its main bugs and issues but just use the income to make NFP-like DLCs.

As eager as I'm to see Civ 7 be a good Game and better in many ways than Civ 6, but given that Companies nowadays just focus on delivering stuff that makes the majority happy, who aren't the die-hard Fans and Enthusiasts but the casual Players, I think Civ 7 will just follow the success route of Civ 6, with Gamey Systems that are simple for new Players and an overall fast pacing design of the Game for quick Games. No much Immersion no much Balance and lots of Bugs that the casual Player won't even notice or encounter. Maybe except if the Devs convince the higher ups for a community patch. So I expect Civ 7 to be just like Civ 6, good but not great.

But Maybe I'm wrong, and Civ7 will surprise as all, for the better. I guess Time will tell. And re. Time, I think Q2 2022 we will get some infos about Civ VII, at the latests Q3.

Reviews don't say humankind is winning. Review wise Old World probably is, but it's not on steam so I can't have a word on that.
Don't be pessimistic. Look at civ 4. That one was a masterpiece. Civ 5? Base vanilla game isn't great, but with mods - it can definitely change stuff. Civ VI is the worser of them, but it's only because they wanted to try something new. There was a guy from firaxis who created an account but the acc's dead now. I think they'll listen to us, atleast once. Will they follow the simple path and make a "clone" of civ VI, or will they start taking mechanics from previous games and improve them even more? (DONT ADD THE DEATH STACKS OF DOOM)

Top Bottom