Are Returned Civilians Cumulative?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Randall Turner, May 3, 2011.

1. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

I've got a neighbor I've already "freed" a civilian for. He's still unhappy with me, I've got another (or will in a turn here).

If they're cumulative, I'll go ahead and let him have his settler back too. If I won't get any more of a diplo bump with him, though, I could really use the little bugger.

Will I get another bonus for returning a second civilian?

Also - I read the Diplo analysis thread, it wasn't clear to me from the posts there exactly how it works.

2. JoeBas

JoeBas Warlord

He'll at least say "Thank you" again.

I had one game couple patches ago where I had a barb-hunting horseman a far far way from home, captured and liberated someone else's worker, but didn't kill the capturing barbie. The next turn, the Barbie went after the worker again, so I rode around and freed it again, with another thanks. Next turn, the Barbie captured it again, so I rode around and freed it again. Finally I just kept the damned thing, walked it home, killed the barbie, and took the nearby camp.

3. OrsonM

OrsonM Our man

All I know is that returning a civililian is a bit of a diplo bomb on the original owner of the worker. It's right up there with declaration of friendship.

Although I've yet had a civ returning a civilian to me, or any type of advantage from being friends with a civ, they constantly ask for things, they get mad if you don't give them anything and when you ask for something, they say no. Aren't there better ways to not go to war with another civ?

4. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

Thanks for the answers, it's decision time, have to pull the trigger.

(Damn, I could use that guy, I've got an outlying city right next to it, argh.)

Lemme do some work here for a minute and defer the decision a half hour or so...

5. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

there is no need to bother with returning civilians. the AI is full of ingratitude. just take the worker for yourself.

6. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Your statement is contradicted by this. Of course, it wasn't always like this so maybe you adopted a playstyle in response to how the game was originally that prevents this from mattering.

7. PimpmyCiv

PimpmyCiv Chieftain

It doesn't hurt you to keep it, and the AI doesn't remember it long term. If you have a need for it, I'd say keep it.

8. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

For me i usually return it (especially if it is from a city state) except if it is a settler and their encroaching on my territory. Of course if the civ in question is annoying me I take it out of spite.

9. Teperi Blaze

Teperi Blaze Warlord

There is absolutely something going on with the returning of other civs units.

Sometimes a guarded guy can become friendly and even offer straight RA's, where you don't have to pay the extra 100g. They can ask for friendship as well, even if they were guarded just 2 turns ago.

Other times it seems like it's no change in their attitude, I had Germany guarded the whole game and he wasn't even near me. I gave back 3 units, but no change.

It's feels like a gamble and normally if the civ is far away, I just use the worker for another fog-busting unit if the civ involved is not friendly already.

10. VirginiaRounder

VirginiaRounder Warlord

Just yesterday I returned a worker to my good old neighbor Monty, and he DOWed me about ten turns later.

My impression is that with the new patch, unless you have a solid military your neighbors are going to attack you no matter what.

11. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

Welp, I returned it, he stayed "guarded". So I tested before/after how much he wanted to trade a resource, there was no change.

Note again this was the second civilian returned to Japan, so it's still a gray area in my mind.