Are save and load options really this limited?

da_Vinci

Gypsy Prince
My primary issue here is about how to save games.

If I chose save, and am online, I can pick steam cloud, where apparently I have 10 or so slots, but I can't enter a save name, I can hit save and it names it with the leader I am playing.

If I try to save not in the Steam Cloud, I can't name the save, and hitting save does nothing. I can do a quick save.

Trying to load up a save by going into my games folder fails to load ... am I only able to load from in game?

Now for some procedure questions for this thread, for the mods ...

This is less bug and more "issue" perhaps, is there a different place to post this kind of thing?

Other items I have observed:

A couple of crashes using the civilopedia ... have not tried to reproduce yet

Some game freezeups that I managed to unfreeze by using my windows key

Actually had two units in a tile trying to move one through the other and the moving unit stopped (warrior on archer).

If I can reproduce these things, would you want them each in a separate thread with this in the title?

dV

da vinci kind of lumped a couple other issues/bugs at the end of his post, but I wanted to second his question about saving.

It seems to auto-save fine, as well as quick save. However plain old Save does nothing. I type a name in and it illuminated the big save button, but pressing it doesn't do anything.

I did a Steam save just as a back-up, but would like to know what's up with normal saving.

I haven't had problems with normal-saving at all. I'll try to post screenshots if I get the chance.

I am also having the issue with save game files. Makes for an intertesting game as you can't undo anything. Sid must be big on commitment.

I haven't had problems with normal-saving at all. I'll try to post screenshots if I get the chance.
So you get to name a save the way you want, and save it to your local storage? Love to see a screen of the save window you get, and the save files in your local folder.

Unrelated: there must be a story behind that choice of username ... care to share it? ;)

dV

Oddly enough, when I finished tonight it let me do a normal save just fine. I didn't do anything differently that yesterday, so I dunno! Hopefully it was just a random glitch.

Oddly enough, when I finished tonight it let me do a normal save just fine. I didn't do anything differently that yesterday, so I dunno! Hopefully it was just a random glitch.
I am finding that sometimes I can save local, and sometimes I can't. Went first no save, not even type in a name. Second, got a local save with the name I typed in. Latest, type in a name, but it won't save locally. Not sure what to make of the intermittent natue of the problem.

dV

Same problem, but looks like we were able to save once. Can type in the name but nothing happens when save is pushed. Quicksave works, save to steam cloud works.

Steam is not installed on C:, which seams to be a problem with other things like mods.
I found on another site that putting the full save path in the config.ini could fix problems with saving, but it does not seem to have worked.

Here's the a current bug that is reproducible in the save screen:

- hit [Esc], pick "save"
- By default, the cursor will appear in the save file name box
- Click the mouse on the save file name box, the cursor vanishes
- Click a 2nd time and it comes back and you can start typing

So even though the cursor and focus is already on the edit box, clicking on it with the mouse breaks that focus and prevents you from being able to type anything, anywhere.

(The issue with edit strangeness where random text will show up in the box if you use the cursor keys, or home/end keys seems to come and go. If you type the name correct at the start and limit yourself to the [backspace] key it usually works.)

Quick Save does not work for me either (Steam install to standard C: location on WinXP). Click the option and nothing happens.

Same problem, but looks like we were able to save once. Can type in the name but nothing happens when save is pushed. Quicksave works, save to steam cloud works.

Steam is not installed on C:, which seams to be a problem with other things like mods.
I found on another site that putting the full save path in the config.ini could fix problems with saving, but it does not seem to have worked.
As I said in the save game bug thread in confirmed bugs subforum, I can overwrite an existing save on my C drive, but not generate a new one from the save UI. So I have multi copied some dummy saves into the folder ... they show up in the UI save window, and I can overwrite them.

dV

Top Bottom