Are some victories better than others?

mostly_harmless

Chieftain
Let's say it's 1950 and I have a base score of 5000. If I win a domination victory next turn will it give me a higher final score than if I win a cultural victory next turn? If so how do diplo and space race victories rank?

I've noticed that from a score front, my military games tend to be a bit higher... I end up having most of the "points" in the world, when all's said and done, after all.

As for which victory type is better though... "Better" is a tough valuation to tag on to one victory type relative to another - a win is a win after all - but...

As you move up in difficulty, I find war is the "easy way out" victory. Whenever an opponent gets gets ahead of you in some area, attack them. When someone gets a wonder you need, attack them. Techs you want? Military techs are "trump card" techs - going for music early gets you Notre Dame and doesn't help VS macemen, while getting macemen while someone else is going for Notre Dame may leave you with a few extra cities and Notre Dame when all's said and done. Doing a poor job managing relations? Attack and cripple the people you messed up on.

To win as a military player you can be lax in quite a few areas so long as you maintain military superiority. Trying to win a high difficulty game as a peaceful builder? You have to maintain a very solid tech income because you can't just militarily snuff out anyone out-teching you. In order to keep out of the military game, you have to be a wizard with relations - which can get costly in gifts, which is counterproductive to maintaing a tech lead. Not to mention you DO need to keep at least a defensive military which costs coin. A peaceful builder win on higher difficulties is a real balancing act in a way that military victories simply aren't.

In my opinion, military victories are easy victories when compared to peaceful buildier victories - on higher difficulties at least. In some ways, I consider peaceful builder wins "better" wins, as a result. If someone consistently wins games on emperor and above without them going to war being the deciding factor? My hat's off to them.

Military victories will probably give the higher score in practise because of all the population and territory one acquires. I'm wondering though with all else being equal (territory, population, wonders, tech and hence overall score) do different victory conditions give better score bonuses at the end of the game.

Like does domination give a '(number of turns left)*y' bonus while cultural '(number of turns left)*x' bonus, where y and x are different numbers.

Top Bottom