1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Spies Actually That Useful

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by InsidiousMage, Apr 1, 2021.

?

Are Spies Useful?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Sometimes

37 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Prince

Yah Surveillance is awesome especially if you're me and have districts all over the place.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  2. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I guess I don't really get the question in the OP. Even if all you ever do is siphon funds they're a net positive. Can you make "x" amount of gold without a spy? Yep. Can you make "x+y" amount of gold with spies? Yes. Is "x" enough to beat the AI? Probably but this Is like saying "I can win with only +2 adj campuses why plant it in that + 4 spot?" or "who needs faith when you're not playing religious?" or "why max out my trade slots when I'm doing fine with 8 routes?" etc

I mean I'll only build them in more productive cities to keep the opportunity cost low but once you have them the defensive capabilities alone are important. The ai consistently assassinate Ping or Magnus in my games so not building spies for me is essentially not assigning Ping or Magnus a quarter of the game. I just pulled 3k gold off Australia (not a cash cow like Mali) and that was enough to buy 1.5 research labs, essentially trading a one time investment in a productive city into research labs in a less productive city and now that guy can go steal more gold or whatever else and his next mission is all cream because he already paid for himself.

Can they be tedious to use? Yeah. Can you do fine without them? Sure. More often than not they're still a net positive. Saying "my gold income is good enough without them" isn't a response to "they're pretty good gold income." And that's just siphoning . The other missions can be very useful, they just tend to require a little more thought.

3. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

I'm guessing the OP is wondering if the production cost of making all those spies is worth the bother ? They do take a lot of production. But I always build my 7-8 anyways myself.

4. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

If only there were a card that significantly decreased the production cost of these spies... oh wait, there is, and its popularity in the elimination thread is what led to this thread in the first place.

Francel, Equilin, Tech Osen and 2 others like this.
  5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Also the price does not keep going up, if you lose one, the price goes down.

6. Abaxial

Abaxial King

I see there is now a mission to cause a zombie plague, which sounds pretty awesome - but the chance of success is very low.

Victoria likes this.
  7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

The World congress had that resolution to make your choice of spy mission easier. I rammed the zombie one through. Now I've got 4 spies in Australia creating plague at 90%. It should be funny.

8. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Never say that the Civ 6 WC is irrelevant!

9. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

For a fully promoted spy it is no big problem. Looks like 8 zombies are raised per mission (however Gaul AI had no big problems putting them back into the ground as well):

10. Old Victoria

Old Victoria Chieftain

But why is having the cities make builders more engaging? I'd rather buy the builders and use them right away while my cities run city projects to snag great people away from the AI. I'm still engaged with optimizing my cities and the cities are lazily recruiting great people in the background.

I mostly do science or cultural victories, sometimes religious and I base my game on trading for high amounts of production in the early game and gold in the late game. I don't use all the spy capacity I can get because it gets to be a hassle to me deciding where to put them and what missions they should go for (sometimes they have to run back to the capital and then I have to restart the whole process), but 3 I usually have 3 spies around. For siphoning funds. Sometimes just siphoning funds for the experience and then I send them to my cities to counterspy. I don't bother counterspying the spaceports, though. I do the city centers and government plazas, to protect my governors, and if I have any, defenitely the neighborhoods (though I don't always have neighborhoods, I rather avoid building them like the plague).

Sooooo.... yeah. I find they're quite useful. In the beginning I didn't think so, but that was before I understood the mechanics of gaining sources first - if you don't gain sources first, it will defenitely be a hit and miss.

What's wrong with both? (insert road to eldorado meme :p) I do both: the trades and the spies. I mostly play on King now - sometimes I still play emperor - and I find that well used spies are quite worth the bother. It just took me a while to realize that you should gain sources before going in any mission to raise the chance of completing the mission successfully. After that... well, it's like stealing candy from a baby. But better, because it's a game and you're not really harming babies

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  11. Unmitigated Gaul

Unmitigated Gaul Chieftain

If you’re far enough ahead and have enough gold advantage that spies are a waste of time why even improve tiles with builders? Is that chop or improvement actually going to have an impact on your win condition?

Maybe in a culture game?

12. Time Tested

Time Tested Warlord

I responded "Sometimes". There is usually something for them to do, but they are kind of a pain to deal with, so I don't care that much unless I have a specific purpose, which includes Disrupt Rocketry, Steal Great Work, Foment Unrest, or Fabricate Scandal (for a key CS). I have found the Listening Post to be situationally useful, and the other missions are fine for minor benefits (gold) or causing a nuisance (dams, industrial zones) if I have a spy from an earlier mission that needs to stay occupied.