Are the AI upgrading luxuries/strategic resources after March patch?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nauberry, Mar 26, 2021.

1. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

I just saw the AI make its first industry today (and this is 5+ games into this new patch) and the AI was nowhere near corporations (deity Montezuma, he actually ended up with a truffle monopoly of 3/3 even).
    I would say they do make them, but somehow it is considered so low priority that unless they have an excess of build charges they simply will make farms and mines instead (Monty generally has lots of builders...).

Kotofei likes this.
  2. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Yes, they occasionally do put up industries, but not as frequent as you would expect it and those exceptions are usually caused by them getting "random" access to a 2nd copy of a ressource (be it by suzeraining a CS or a city with already improved ressource changing hands by force or loyalty pressure). As shown in my last example above, they clearly have a wrong priority with their builders - connecting ressources should be the top priority...not only for creating industries, monopolies and corporation, but also because they can sell the surplus for other stuff and likely improving ressources is also a strong - if not the strongest option - in terms of maximizing tile yields.

3. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Yes, but very late, and very slowly.

The worse part, though, is that they sell them at ridiculously low prices, so much so that I find myself only paying those pennies without giving them something more valuable in return... like a luxury.

Some people say the AI has improved, but I can only see it going down and down... trying to filter out the possible effect of knowing the game (and the series) too well, but then again, I never won a Civ 4 Deity game, and Immortal CIv 5 still gives me a good shake... don't even get me started on Vox's AI.

Trading AI was, for sure, better in earlier iterations of Civ 6.

nmb93 and Kotofei like this.
  4. Guynemer

Guynemer King

Sadly, unless the take off the handcuffs when it comes to modding, I don't think we're going to see anything remotely as good as Vox Populi in Civ6.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  5. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Just had a pretty sad case of AI complete fail in my current game, where I spawn next to Maya, who has pretty much the ideal starting position for them, with Citrus and Wine absolutely scattered across their starting area (including a potential 3-plantation Observatory southeast of their capital).

How many plantations did the Maya build before I wiped them off the planet?
    Spoiler :
    Zero. :cry:
    upload_2021-4-15_8-55-12.png
    Yeah, there is a wine plantation south east of Chichen Itza, I build that one ...

They did however spam farms and Cahokia Mounds (as in, SPAM Cahokia Mounds). So I'm absolutely convinced this bug still persists.

6. JifMoose

JifMoose Chieftain

Just to ask if anyone has any data on whether this has been fixed in the Apr 20th "final" update? Early reports suggest, mind-bogglingly, that it has not been.

Still, at least we got a lot of lame jokes about petting cats, eh?

679x likes this.
  7. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt King

Sadly I have come to the conclusion that literally every game mode is not for me

679x and kaspergm like this.
  8. Peserwin

Peserwin Chieftain

After playing my first game after the patch I can confirm it has NOT been fixed.

679x likes this.
  9. Conquistador_514

Conquistador_514 Chieftain

It's really pathetic.. I have zero respect for firaxis

evahappy likes this.
  10. CromulentRomulan

CromulentRomulan Chieftain

hi all. two mods fix this mode. the not improving industries only happens with monopolies mode enabled. search for fix_ai_luxury_improvement_issue_with_monopolies_and_corporations_game_mode mod. another poster on this forum came up with it. apologies to all console players, you have to deal with Firaxis shipping broken code.
    second mod that makes that mode more tolerable is leugi's monopoly_resource_requirement_setup

Peserwin likes this.
  11. JifMoose

JifMoose Chieftain

Thanks CromulentRomulan. Yes, I've been using that mod - kudos to the modder who figured out the changes that would make the AI behave as intended - I certainly could never have guessed what was needed.

I think that mod works without modification on Linux too. While I'm keen on mods in general, they can involve a lot of extra effort to get working on Linux - one in two I use need adjustment and hand-debugging. So while I'm very thankful to the modders for coming to our rescue, like yourself I really would prefer a fix to the base game!

12. AntSou

AntSou Deity

Any screenshots? Because this is disappointing.

Kaspergm's screenshot above makes it clear the AI is not just being its usual mediocre self, it's actually still broken with this mode and nothing changed in March.

But it's not only AI Civs. My own experience in my previous multiplayer game was that NOT A SINGLE City-State had improved any luxury resources within its territory. This evidently ruins a big part of the fun of playing for CS suzerainty. I had been playing Hotseat to get around the mediocre AI, but realizing it also ruins hotseat/multiplayer because it affects City-States was a real downer.

This was the most anticipated Mode for me and it sucks that I can't really play it.

I have a request for players: Could you please post pictures of your games, with and without the mods that are supposed to fix it, after the April patch? I have very little time to play the game atm and I'm not encouraged to reinstall it if I can't play the Corp mode.

JifMoose likes this.
  13. Melkus

Melkus Chieftain

Here's a shot (may have been posted before) from a Portugal game in March with corp mode and the mod fix.
    20210423144117_1.jpg

I have no time for new screenshots / to play far enough, but tried some AI games yesterday and today - it's still the same. The mod helps ("normal" improvement of luxes, sometimes even by city states (but unreliable), some industries) - but don't expect AI corporations.

I guess there's some hope that they use the quiet time to teach the AI some new tricks, like they did between Gathering Storm and NFP.

JifMoose, Peserwin and AntSou like this.
  14. JifMoose

JifMoose Chieftain

Thanks to everyone investigating this. It is indeed very disappointing for me as well, since it's my favourite addition and would be the only "always-on" mode for me if it wasn't broken.

Firaxis - this is a glaring bug: acknowledge it, reproduce it, and fix your software. Stop making players and modders do your beta testing for you.

Elhoim and Franks like this.
  15. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Good news for Norway.

16. Kyuss

Kyuss Chieftain

Any good news about this? Anyone knows when the next patch will come out?

17. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Sadly no. It is unclear, whether there will be another patch at all. It's not impossible, since we were told that feedback about bugs etc. is still valued - but thats far from a guarantee for a patch.

18. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

But they did not state the value. It could well be zero for all we know.

And yes, it is pathetic that one of the best, if not the best, modes in the entire pandemonium of vampires, zombies and other historical creatures is as broken as it is. Huge disappointment.

Pfeffersack likes this.
  19. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt King

I was really looking forward to this mode, hoping it would add some depth to the economic side of the game

It being broken in a way that five minutes of playtesting should have caught was the final straw for me

20. bitula

bitula Prince

I tried to bump the relevant bug in the bug forum, but somehow my bump was lost. I think it would be useful to bump it, since this is a showstopper bug.