1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any HardCore Civ fans who like CiV?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by vincentz, Oct 13, 2010.

1. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I'm just curious if there are any hardcore civ fanatics who actually thinks civ V is a fantastic game.
    All the ciV fanboys I have seen are new members from october 2010 with 1-10 posts, and could basically be 1 person making multiple profiles.
    Again, I understand that any average content customer wouldn't seek CFC, nor type fanatical fanposts. They would simply be playing Civ V.

So the question is (and I'm not out to crucify anyone) are there anyone here that considers themselves for Hardcore fans of the Civilization series (modders, regular gamers, long time CFC members etc) that finds Civ V a great game?
    And if you could kindly write why. (dont have to be whole pages, keywords can do)

Cheers :king:

2. Abremms

Abremms Prince

been playing civ for 15 years, I think V has issues, Its not perfect, but neither was IV when it came out. I would rank it even with vanilla civ IV in terms of how much I enjoy playing it. (edit: which means I enjoy playing it quite a lot!)

3. skallben

skallben Diplomat

I like V as a concept but not so much the execution. It feels unfinished but that will be patched and if you compare vanilla cIV to BTS, it is quite a difference and we are likely so see V go through phases of evolution aswell. I'm optimistic but to be frank, the game bores me right now.

4. Celevin

Celevin King

I think Civ5 is just as addictive as Civ4, and solves a lot of issues I had with Civ4. It definitely has numerous problems, but it has a very solid foundation. The problems I had with Civ4 would require major overhauls. The problems I have with Civ5 can be fixed fairly easily.

I played all of the previous Civs, and Civ4 on Immortal/Deity. I also think I have a very good grasp on the Civ5 mechanics. I may be new to the forums, but definitely not new to the franchise.

5. Becephalus

Becephalus King

Been playing since 1991 (I got Civ 1 6 months after release maybe less?). Was one of my first few games I bought. I played Civ 2 to death, some Civ 3 and made some popular mods for it, played in some tournaments and won. Played a TON of Civ 4, though I mostly made maps (which people seemed to like) because by this point the modding community was better at modding than I was. I could beat Emperor on Civ 4 regularly with a huge map, maxs civs, and using a bunch of house rules where I wouldn't exploit the AI (So many of the high level strategies have no appeal to me because they are simply taking advantages of AI holes and IMO are not fun).

I also love the Paradox Entertainment games and have made mods for those and the for Gal Civ 2. I have also been lead map developer on a few popular open source games, and made half of the maps for extremely popular Battle for Wesnoth.

So I think I qualify as a pretty serious Civ 4 player.

I think Civ 5 is great. The release version has a lot of issues, but for some reason that is par for the course with Firaxis (and many other developers). I think Firaxis needs stronger financial backing. They should find a better publisher. I would remind everyone Civ 3 and Civ 4 had tons of issues. The "Play the World" expansion didn't even have functioning multiplayer as released!?!?!?

Civ 5 BADLY needs a combat AI update, but having experience with Hex based AI I think it will be possible for them to improve this substantially (it will still suck compared to a human, but what strategy AI doesn't?). I hope they have the resources for it. Remember Civ 4 AI sucked up to and through BTS.

I think Civ 5's step towards fewer features and more intelligent design decisions was a wise one and very important. Grand Strategy Games have really been relying on feature creep to generate revenue and some of them were becoming unbalanceable and generally unfun due to too many features many of which are frankly irrelevant. It is terrible design. It doesn't matter if you have 50 units if it is only smart to ever build 6 of them. It doesn't matter if there are 8 different resources if you can safely ignore 3 of them, et cetera. Feature creep also makes it impossible to have a competent AI because the AI has more and more thigns it is doing less well than the player.

It think the Civ 5 AI is even right now possibly better than the Civ 4 AI at managing its empire.

Bottom line Civ 5 is a well designed game with great potential that is badly hurt by a horrible combat AI. I do like it well enough to have 160+ hours in and have won 8? games on Epic setting.

just my $.02

6. testdummy653

testdummy653 Prince

I been a member of this forum since 2003, I been playing Civ and SMAC on and off since.

I haven't been an active member of this forum since 2004. Since CiV came out i been addicted (112 hours of play) and even took the time to scrounge around for my password for this forum.
    I like this CiV version more than I liked Civ IV when it came out.

7. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

civ1 to 4 here, extensively, cooperated with BUG (check credits), Emperor+ level in c4...

Civilization 5 is a big step backwards in the franchise. The problems are deep, far deeper than the hyperoptimistic "it will be better with patches" cries out... some nice ideas on paper, but when implemented, show their true nature in a system like civ.

My one-line opinion: civ5 is an appeal to the mass markets which were constantly scared away by the true core of the civ franchise: complex strategic depth with multiple decision branches.

Not good, not at all.

8. Kyuss

Kyuss Chieftain

I'm very disapointed... I feel sad, where's my beloved civ world now? it feels slow, unresponsive and boring to death. The only game I've had EVER installed and now this.
    There are several good ideas, but as a whole it doesn't works.
    I am curious to know what is the feedback the developers are having.

sorry for my english BTW

9. Fariic

Fariic Chieftain

I think I've got like 250+ hours with Civ V; been playing since the original came out.
    I have no specific reasons why I like it so much.
    I consider it on par with vanilla Civ IV; which I thought was the best of the series.

I will say I'm in love with the 1 UPT and the visuals. I've been using the tectonics map script and the maps that get generated are just incredible. I wish the game processed turns better so I could use the larger map mods. Maps over huge are scaled perfectly for the game. Turns just get to damn long, to fast.

10. Bhoy

Bhoy Chieftain

I don't know if I'm considered to be hardcore but I pre ordered CiV and took a day off work the next day especially for it... and I've been a (quiet) member of this forum since 2003... and I once sat playing Civ2 on a Playstation spending about 10 mins per turn hah. Never played Civ 1 but owned all since then including CTP1 and 2 (get to populate space and alpha centuri, genius!)

And yes I think Civ 5 is terrible. I was a bit worried when they announced it in like May and said it was due for release in September. Even if they had of been working at it for months back then that was never enough time. They simply haven't given me a better game than Civ 4 BTS. It might get patched and Expanded to better than Civ 4 BTS in the future, but that's not the point playing Civ 4 BTS is a better experience of a similar game. I've got Civ Revolutions for my Xbox and without joking I think I might actually prefer that to Civ 5, at least I get to finish the game and it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of time to change turn.

It seems the developers completely scrapped Civ 4 and started fresh with Civ 5. I would have preferred a major expansion of Civ 4 than this - I mean for gawds sake they could have just copied the Civlopedia from Civ 4 and changed a few aspects of it to reflect Civ 5, surely that was easier than starting from scratch?

I've spent about an hour a day every day since the release of Civ 5 on this forum complaining about it. I'm not even a negative person, I'm just so bloody disappointed!

11. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

That statement right there speaks volumes. Many of the people complaining about CiV5 simply have no clue as to how modern games work these days. These modern games for the PC are so huge in size with millions of lines of code that it simply takes time to work out all the bugs and issues and add in new features.

Many game companies have countered this modern problem with open public beta testing, something which unfortunately Civ5 didn't have.

12. waytofailself

waytofailself Chieftain

I'm probably not "hardcore" enough, but I have been playing since Civ 3. I really enjoy Civ 5. It feels like the same series while at the same time being a new game. Yes, it needs tweaks and improvements, but that isn't stopping me from really enjoying it.

13. Bhoy

Bhoy Chieftain

I highly doubt that Civ 5 has more code than some of the highly polished console games such as Oblivion or indeed some of the Playstation 3 games that are 20 gigs +.

I think your point should be 'Welcome to PC gaming'

14. PanicX

PanicX Chieftain

:agree:

The only thing I would add this comment is that it's been 16 years for me if I've got the arithmetic correct; and as you can see I've joined the fanatics rank well before 2010.. Being a silent follower for quite sometime, I had to break my silence and login again after this many years, just to counter the extreme pessimism regarding the game. People like me do exist, though I admit that we seem to be outnumbered.

15. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

Creators of console games have a huge advantage over those who create pc games. There is almost an unlimited number of software and hardware configurations with gaming PCs that it makes it very difficult to prevent all bugs. Again, this is where open public beta testing comes in to help solve that problem.

16. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I am playing for some years less ( entered in this with SMAC ... so make it 13 years ), but IMHO civ V as it is is more like civ III vanilla than with civ IV vanilla. And IMHO civ III vanilla was the worst of the three ....

Not that I didn't not liked civ III ;) I simply liked it less :p ... same applies to civ V:D

17. binjack

binjack Chieftain

I believe that Civ 1 was my first game I ever got for the pc. I absolutely love civ 5, the 1upt is probably the best thing done to the game, I was getting rather bored of the sod, how strategic is spaming a bunch of strong units and then sending them off to you neighbors city. I also love the limited resources, now it actually means something to have iron or horse, where before you just needed one source and just have infinite spam of that unit. I find that they have solved several issues that I started to find boring after so many years playing.

18. silentknight111

silentknight111 Warlord

i like CiV, and yes, I've played every Civ game.

19. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I consider myself "hardcore civ player". You must understand that joining date means nothing! One might be playing it since early 90's, but only found CFC with Civ5 announcement (as it was very well marketed). I myself wasn't exactly in love with Internet and only found CFC out of boredom when I was googling for mods and ONLY kept coming back here from time to time, because all the mods were eventually found here. I think civ5 is decent... good even, but it NEEDS patches... FAST! I already play it quite a lot (because I have lots of free time right now) and there is no other non-civ game out there I would rather play anyway (says a lot about me being "hardcore"). So when it'll be properly patched up I'll enjoy it to full extend.

20. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Played Civ 1 and all iterations (even the CtP ones!) and versions up to Civ V. I like how the series is evolving with Civ V because they're daring to change core concepts and go with something like 1UPT. It feels a lot like how Civ III was, and I liked Civ III a lot, too.