[R&F] Are there any mods that make the city state game worth playing?

Peng Qi

Emperor
As of right now there appears to be no reason whatsoever to waste time with city states, since the AI players just gobble them up and there seems to be nothing you can do about it whatsoever other than declare a surprise war to defend them. I'm shocked there's still not a "you're at war with my city state" CB, but I guess it's a "surprise" war because the AI is "surprised" that anyone in the game would give a crap about city states.

I imagine this is basically impossible to mod, since it would require a complete change of the way diplomacy works in the game and to teach the AI that attacking its allies' city states is a bad thing (which it does not understand right now because there is quite literally no downside to attacking your ally's city states). I figured I'd ask anyway, though, since I'm not as up to date on what mods can do in 6 as I was with 5.

Oh, a mod that lets city states capture cities would be pretty cool too, so I imagine that's probably also impossible, as everything I want modded about this game is unmodable.

I'm shocked there's still not a "you're at war with my city state" CB
There is a Protectorate War CB. You have to be suzerain and declare before they’ve finished capturing it though, and it’s not available if you’re friends or allies.

You don’t need a mod; just play as Australia :D Free 20 turns of double production when you take it back. LOL.

I am using this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1130568132&searchtext=TCS

This mod provides free walls and free wall upgrades in the appropriate era to city-states. Using this mod the city states are not eliminated by turn 50 !!!!

The AI's are still conquering some city tates but most of them remain till the end of the game !!!!!
I like this mod as well. Since playing on higher levels give the AI bonuses the CS don't get they can easily get steamrolled. This sort of evens the scale, you leave an AI alone and they still will take a few, but it will slow them down enough that you can defend those you like or warring AIs can't devote the resources to both war/defense and a fully walled CS.

Downside, if YOU want to take a CS it becomes a much larger pain.

I like this mod as well. Since playing on higher levels give the AI bonuses the CS don't get they can easily get steamrolled. This sort of evens the scale, you leave an AI alone and they still will take a few, but it will slow them down enough that you can defend those you like or warring AIs can't devote the resources to both war/defense and a fully walled CS.

Downside, if YOU want to take a CS it becomes a much larger pain.

I keep forgetting that I have this mod installed, but yes, it definitely helps. Some CS still fall, but enough stick around most games that you can put effort into CS.

Top Bottom