Are there any other women here?

It happens on MMOs far less than it did in the early days of the Internet, because the proportion of women playing MMOs is far higher than the proportion of women posting online, or indeed playing computer games, was back in the day.

I honestly didn't gave much thought about the matter. Thank you Plotinus and shane for sharing your RL experiences with this phenomena. :lol: ;)

How about it's a smiley with sunglasses on a scooter?
Close, but not quite... It's a POTATO smiley with sunglasses on a scooter. :yup: The first time I used this smiley as an avatar, he didn't have sunglasses or a scooter, but he was wearing a Santa hat. On another forum he's still got the sunglasses and scooter, but is also wearing a sombrero.

... so whenever someone posts something I have to familiarize myself w/ their posting history?

If you're implying that you frequently like to mention that you're female and do so in contexts where it isn't germain to the conversation, then, yes, I'd put good money on you being a man in RL.

But, that said, I really don't care. Most people, in their internet personas, deviate from their "real-life" personality. Its a matter of degree, I think, in most cases.
If you are going to spout offensive opinions, then I would say that yes, you should familiarize yourself with your target's posting history (in whatever situation, not just mine). I've done things like this -- to get some idea if the person is more likely to be joking, serious, or sarcastic.

I am apt to mention I'm female when I think the situation warrants reminding people. Thankfully that's not very often.

My first impression of your "internet persona" is that you seem more than a bit arrogant. Is that a deviation from your "real-life" personality? Just curious.

Fake 'personalities' are very difficult to maintain over time especially if you post with regularity.

Yet some people live multiple lives in the real world, so I bet if you were really motivated and applied yourself you could do it.

I am apt to mention I'm female when I think the situation warrants reminding people. Thankfully that's not very often.

Exactly my point. You don't lead every comment with, "well as a woman" or always call people "hun" or constantly play up your femininity, even when there's not context to do so, do you? If not, then you're getting riled up over nothing, as nothing I said would really apply to you.

Given your response here, I'm not sure you understand my original point and I think we're more in agreement than you may realize.

My comment should only be offensive to exhibitionists. Why do you think I was targetting you? I was offering my general observation learned from about 10+ years experience in various online communities. You replied to me, starting this more one-on-one discussion.

@birdjaguar: yep, that's usually what trips them up.

I'm female on GTA online, though CFC I'm definitely male.

I occasionally referred to it as the 100 to 1 problem. When girls are that outnumbered by the guys, most will stay hidden, and those that don't, many will be driven away because that ratio makes the guys behave stupid for some reason. Only a handful will tough it out.
I wasn't aware of that before I joined up here. So far, so good; in the three weeks since I joined, no one has harassed me in any way. I appreciate that and hope it stays that way. It might help to know that I'm a 49-year-old grandmother. (I'm still good-looking though, I haven't even gone gray yet... just make sure you do not use the term "GILF" in my hearing.) I'm a dignified mature woman and I'm not your plaything.

Yay! I'm no longer the second-oldest person around! :lol:

I'm 45, not a grandmother, not grey either, and honestly, Theodora -- most of the people here will be more interested in your politics than your RL physical parameters. ;)

I wasn't aware of that before I joined up here. So far, so good; in the three weeks since I joined, no one has harassed me in any way. I appreciate that and hope it stays that way. It might help to know that I'm a 49-year-old grandmother. (I'm still good-looking though, I haven't even gone gray yet... just make sure you do not use the term "GILF" in my hearing.) I'm a dignified mature woman and I'm not your plaything.

So are you a governor?

Nobody's ever harrassed me. At least not that I'm aware of.

I just turned 16. :) And you don't mess with me! haha. Somebody on Yahoo Messenger tried and I think I slightly traumatized him.

There are more women around here than people realise, about 1 to 10 seems to be the proportion on previous polls.

And yes, I'm another of them, also nearly 45, not a grandma and not (they're highlights) grey!

I didn't say I was female when I first started posting here, didn't specifically hide it either, it eventually came out during conversation. You'll find my pic in any of the previous year's UK CFC meet threads as I've attended them all.

Top Bottom