1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

are there veteran catapults?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by julia, May 12, 2004.

1. julia

julia Chieftain

a friend of mine keeps insisting that cats build in barracks-cities have a better chance of bombarding. has anybody noticed something like this? i dont really believe it, but would like to hear your opinion.

2. knacki

knacki Chieftain

There are indeed veteran cats, i.e. cats with 4 HP.
    But I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with a better probability to hit target.
    I still don't understand why cat / cannon / art do have HP :confused:

3. TomOC

TomOC Monarch

I think it's because they can be bombarded, and with lethal bombardment, you need hit points. I have watched in horror as a squadron of bombers destroyed my stack of artillery in my city. :mad:

4. AdHHH

AdHHH Chief Of The Infidels

I thought vet status only determined # of HP,and if artillery has no HP it cannot be a vet/elite, it could only be destroyed/captured by sharing the same square with an enemy unit.

5. knacki

knacki Chieftain

Well I didn't know that, I thought like AdHHH they could only be destroyed / captured.
    Hey, cats, beware of cruise missiles :lol:

6. Gumby78

Gumby78 Franchise Tag

Bombers, artillery or cruise missile units cannot target catapults, cannons, and artillery since they have no hit points. Artillery units can only be captured if the enemy has the required tech for the unit and it will be destroyed if they don't have the required tech. Also, ICBMs and Tactical Nukes can destroy artillery units.

7. TomOC

TomOC Monarch

I had a city bombared by bombers, then I went to that city, and my artillery was gone (about 8 of them)! If not the bombers, then where did my artillery go? A bug in my game maybe?

8. Zandrew

Zandrew The Black Knight

Now that military units in cities get hit before buildings I'd guess that includes artillery. They probably just die if they get bombed.

In the Sengoku Conquest I've had fire-cannons picked off (from within a stack) by ninjas! Very disturbing! The cannon just falls apart when the ninja attacks it. :eek:

9. Vizurok

Vizurok Magyar Soldier

Really?
    It changes many things in my gameplay...

10. Nihilist

Nihilist Chieftain

Really? I never noticed anything of the sort. I usually leave artillery production exclusively to my non-Barracks cities.

11. rychan

rychan CS geek

I've seen the korean unique units become veteran or elite from bombarding things, in normal conquests random map games

12. knacki

knacki Chieftain

So do we agree that HP for cats/arty are useless ? Does anybody have a satisfying answer to that one ?

13. AdHHH

Well, they're not useless; they don't have any. The only way they can be 'killed' is when an enemy Civ captures them when they haven't the tech to use the units. Im not sure about the bombard death thing though...

14. sir_schwick

sir_schwick Archbishop of Towels

Which version of Civ are you playing with? It might be different for Vanilla/PTW vs. C3C. I just installed C3C, so I have only heard about the mythical lethal bombardment system(sounds awesome/artillery duels/WWI) :) .

15. lbhhh

lbhhh Chieftain

Having veteran/elite status is useful for artillery because artillery with lethal bombard such as the Korean UU can spawn MGLs. Otherwise, veteran/elite status is useless for artillery as bombard is just as effective either way.

16. AdHHH

Schwick: I too have C3C, but AFAIK only bombers and UUs with bombard can kill through bombard, what but yes this is what I was talking about. The other difference is that artillery hits units in cities before the city itself, which makes them less powerful IMHO, but anyway enjoy :)
    lbhhh: Yes this is something I forgot :)

17. Theoden

Theoden Chieftain GOTM Staff

My artellery units have no problem hitting city improvemnts and population before the units. I sometimes find that annoying as I want to capture the city with as many improvements standing as possible.

18. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

@theoden: Do you play PTW or Vanilla? In C3C, (land) artillery definitively target units first.

19. TerraHero

TerraHero Terranigma Guru

i dun think u can bomb artillery, juz as u cannot bomb workers. They dun have HP, but they can be captured, and artillery destroyed. Both can be destroyed with a Tactical Nuke or ofcourse when sank at sea. But as far as i know, vet or elite dun do nothing about hit chance.

Fighter is a good example, they get more HP when they go to veteran but they dun bomb harder, or hit more.