1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are things going downhill for the Mathematically and Scientifically challenged

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Archbob, May 4, 2011.

1. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Well a typical Maths degree ends you up at a third rate computer gaming company, drinking piss-poor lager alone watching the snooker wc final :lol:

2. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

It's easy to say that employment opportunities will be better for the fields you mention (check Department of Labor website for details), which is a reason to go/go back to school. Typing "pwned" on your college application would probably get your application thrown in the garbage. :)

3. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

What job do you have lined up? Is it on a graduate scheme?

4. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

And they will all still need salespeople like me to offload that hard earned cash to:D

5. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

^haha, exactly. There will always be opportunities for people who can communicate and manage well, even if they can't do math very well.

6. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I see it the other way around. There'll always be opportunities for people who are good at maths to exploit and rip off people who are bad at maths. C.f. the financial crisis.

7. Boundless

Boundless Deity

Yeah got on the Civil Servicd grad scheme. Am really chuffed cos the salary is incredible for a graduate. Have my doubts but when do you not. Found out last week I can be based anywhere in the country so kind of gives me some options at least.

8. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

all maths can be found on wikipedia these days. why would you go to college for that stuff?

9. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

For the Degree.

10. Boundless

Boundless Deity

...why has no one told me this before? I've struggled with basic maths for years!

11. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

dude physicists and engineers can double up as plumbers and electricians

You don't study math...

12. Mallipeep

Mallipeep Warlord

Engineers yes, physicist no...

On a serious note, things are going downhill in general unless "they" are going to shorten the work-week significantly over the next 20-30 years.
    If vast amount of non-tech people lose their jobs, there wont be enough people to buy all those services high-tech people provide which means high-tech people are going to lose jobs.

In my future utopia i see ~300-400 hours of civil service for *everyone* (think of it as mandatory) for 10-20 years
    That should keep the civilization running and provides *everyone* with mediocre apartment, healthy food, education, healthcare, communal transportation and a bit of enterntainment of choice.

A certain percentage of countries budget, territory, resources and so on is reserved for that - and the rest is to play capitalists, do careers, do science, arts etc.