1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are three archers, Three warriors, and walls Enough?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Zenstrive, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

I have been starting over and over, and in many games I found out that yes, AI declared war on you early on (sometimes as early as turn 20), but you can defend with only one slingers and two warriors and scout and they will yield and give you huge victory spoil. I also see that your neighbour civ will also declare war on you around turn 40 and usually three archers and two or three melees are enough to defend.

So I think it's possible to just defend your entire civilization with just two or three archers and two warriors and expand to many small cities early on to rack up those areas and districts.

What do you think?

2. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

Perhaps. I have found that on Emperor, you kind of don't even need that much. Archers are absolutely dominating the early game

3. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

What difficulty level are you playing?

First game on Deity. Turn 12 or so. I have 1 warrior, 1 scout.
    Harald declares surprise war on me with 4 warriors.
    Game over.

So, no you can't defend with 3 archers and warriors. If you've reached that point, you've already passed the hardest part of the game.
    Then there are barbarian horsemen. If there are 2 barb outposts around, you want to clear them. I've seen them spawn 2 horsemen in a single turn, so 6 untis for your whole realm won't cut it.

4. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

I am on King.
    I usually create new game everytime I see barbarian horsemen on turn 10. It's just not right.

5. Stacked_Deck

Stacked_Deck Chieftain

Depends how defensible your land is. With rivers and some hills it's not too hard to destroy the AI's melee heavy armies with a couple of archers. In fact given how aggressive the AI can be in the first 30 or so turns (I even had Ghandi declare war on me before), I've started placing cities with that in mind.

6. MkLh

MkLh King

The AI early rushes are in fact trivial to defend even on deity (I guess Aztec might give you some trouble but I'm not sure). Warriors are pretty useless, just use archers. Never quit even if the situation "looks" desperate. The AI may be much worse than you might think.

7. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

No. I told of a case when they rush you by turn 12. AT this point you can have one slinger but there's no way you can have researched archery.

8. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

That's called bad luck. Otherwise, Deity rushes are in fact generally pretty easy to defend.

9. avl8

avl8 Prince

Another way to deal with Ai on king and emperor is playing Catherine.
    She can uncover AI hidden agendas early so you get tips on how to maintain positive relations with that exact Ai.

Plus Ai gets mad early if you scout around their lands. Atm they treat it as a warmongering action. So to avoid it you can scout out of their lands once you uncover their capital.

Dont know if it works on immortal and deity though. Kinda interesting!

10. lordqarlyn

lordqarlyn Warlord

Well, yesterday the Aztecs declared war on me, they were rushing and took three city states and I saw what was going to happen after they took the first city state, so I had started on walls, already had archers in every city. A couple turns after they took their 3rd city state they did a surprise declare war on my, and considering the sheer number of units they had, I nearly quit the game. By then I had walls everywhere but my capital which were still being worked on, since I was making a holy site there before. I had a couple spearmen and a warrior but it would have taken six turns to bring them to my cities, they were on patrol for barbarians. I was planning to build a settler at a location that had some iron and was gonna build some swordsmen.
    Glad I didn't. Between the attack with the walls, and the archers, and how spread out the Aztecs had their forces, I was able to destroy nearly their entire offense within 5 turns. Montezuma offered me a very generous peace terms, including a relic. So, don't underestimate a smaller force if you get attacked. The AI isn't too bright at times lol.

11. sixty4half

sixty4half Prince

So, does this mean that the AI still sucks at 1UPT combat as it did in CIV 5? I'm just wondering because I haven't gotten the game yet but will.

12. Esperr

Esperr King

Y
    Yep. You still survive wars you shouldn't because the ai decides shuffling its troops around is a more pressing matter.

13. aR2k

aR2k Chieftain

On my last immortal game my capitol was 5 tiles from greece second city. i rushed 3 slingers and 2 warriors, instantly upgraded to archers and took bith their cities. my capiyol and theirs was on each side of that march wonder, needless to say my districts got insane bonuses:p

14. BlackWizard

BlackWizard King

Yes and its even worse in VI than in V. Only think they did improve is that ranged units can move and attack on same turn but everything else is just worse than random generating moves