1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

are Timurids next Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Reavici, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Reavici

Reavici Chieftain

I have watched Civ expansion announcement trailer.
    from 1:13 min
    it reminds me Tamerlane's invasion of Georgia and siege of Tbilisi

Timmy fighting with Khevsur warrior

Timur was leading skirmish at Tbilisi, also similar castles (Tsikhe) are common in Georgia.

Spoiler :

Gori Fortress

Tsikhe is garrisoned by Khevsur archers. who wear traditional clothes.

according to sources, Timmy used catapultes to besieg Tbilisi

same face features, beard and helmet

"Timur in person punished the mountainous Georgian communities in the Aragvi Valley whom the Zafarnama calls Kara-Kalkanlik ("with black bucklers”, i.e., the eastern Georgian mountaineers, the Pshavs and Khevsurs), and returned via Tbilisi to Shekki upon hearing of yet another offensive by Tokhtamysh.

>creating mighty empires
    >if only to see them fall

basically Timurids

Dragabond and Thormodr like this.
  2. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

I would be surprised to see them in the same expansion as Georgia and Mongolia!

Olleus, Greywulf, BenZL43 and 10 others like this.
  3. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Warlord

I think it's established that those soldiers represent the Mongols. The resemblance is understandable though, Timurid soldiers were essentially Turko-Mongols from the Chagatai Khanate

4. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

Well sounds logical in theory I guess but we'll just have to wait and see. Seems a bit unlikely to me though

5. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Nice sleuth work! But I think the world will end if they don't give us the Ottomans ...

Ondolindë and Duuk like this.
  6. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

With Mongols already in, having Timurids is nearly zero. Those soldiers portray just generic Mongols. And the Khan is just another Sean Bean from all the trailers' scenes.

7. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Sean Bean's character look the same as the Khesig artwork to me, but without the feather. But as others said the Timurids were an offshoot branch of the original Mongols anyway.

8. Reavici

Reavici Chieftain

as Wikipedia notes Timurids were persianized Mongols, with its own flavour. Mongol nomadic horse stye bonuses would not fit to Timurid empire neither Persian. but yeah, Mongols and Timurids are unlikely to be added in the same expansion. Mongols are basically representing all kind of Khan LARPer nomads. amyways Georgian and Mongol rivalry must be thing in this expansion.

9. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

No.

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Exactly. The people fighting the Georgians were, without a doubt, Mongols. That scene shows Keshig models fighting Khevsureti models.

TahamiTsunami, nzcamel and Zaarin like this.
  11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I could see him as an alt Mongol leader though.

12. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Very unlikely.
    There's too much overlap with Mongols, and since they added Scythia in the base game there's no need for another nomadic cavalry civ.

13. 6uho Koe

6uho Koe Warlord

I wish they would add Timurid/Uzbek civ. It would be a nice nomad-sedentary mix but as many have said highly unlikely to be added in this expansion as there's Mongols in it.
    I would like more central Asian civs like Kazakhs and Göktürks but one of them may be for next expansion (low possibility) or civ 7.

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I would love to see the Timurids but with the Mongols already in this expansion, I think it is unlikely.

Good work on putting things together. The facial resemblance is pretty similar, yeah.

15. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

We already have the Mongols; we don't need the Timurids. If we're going to have a Central Asian civilization (which I'd love), let's see a Silk Road state like Sogdiana.

Duuk, 6uho Koe and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  16. Merciorum

Merciorum Prince

The Timurids weren't really Mongols, though. Sure, they were of Mongol ancestry and legitimised themselves along Chinggisid lines, but they spoke Chagatai Turkish and were very much emeshed in a Perso-Islamic cultural world. The later Timurids actively disdained Mongols (including Babur, if I remember rightly.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with adding more Central Asian civs, especially given the historical importance of the Timurids. It'd be nice to see some attention paid to Islamic-era Iran. But I very much doubt it will happen with the Mongols and Scythians both now in play.

17. I_pity_the_fool

I_pity_the_fool Warlord

I reckon they're going to go with Ulm. Or - if they wish to satisfy the communities of a 2nd game, as they have with Tamar - the Minghals.

Basileus Rhomaion and Siptah like this.
  18. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Why not? Think along the same lines as Greece and Macedon.

Back in the Civ V days, I proposed an idea for this over at the Ideas forum. Went something like this: the Timurids have a Tower of Skulls meter on their UI. Killing units and pillaging tiles adds skulls to the tower. When you attack a city, you get a bonus equal to the numbers of skulls. Once a city is captured, the tower is reset to the amount of population killed in the conquest.

Always wanted something like that in Civ. Some ability that provided a unique tactical resource that could be accrued and expended only by that civ.

19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Timur was not a mongol per se. He was a clever sod though and used every political and war device he could think of. He was the one that had his enemies chained in a line at the front of his army if I remember my history

Merciorum and steveg700 like this.
  20. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

And, not to be ignored should be his promotion of architecture. I could see a mausoleum as a unique building for the Timurids.

Of course, this would be one of those civ's that's really just about the rein of a single notable leader.

Merciorum likes this.