Are volcanoes ever going to do anything?

Of course since some volcanoes sit dormant for thousands of years.... there is always a risk of settling a city next to volcano without knowing it.... and if it were to erupt violently and destructively it would definitely have to be a very rare event to not ruin gameplay game and game again.

But like I said in the first post, in BTS I never had more than one volcano (although I had the same one erupt multiple times), but when it happens it destroys improvements within one tile (and maybe did damage to nearby units, but I can't be sure).

If having a volcano destroy 1 or 2 improvements once (or maybe twice) a game is gamebreaking, then I guess no one plays with AIs... since AI axemen and wolf riders like to pillage improvements too. :p :rolleyes:

I just don't see the point of so many events that have zero impact.... and volcano events NEVER have any impact.

Just brainstorming here but you could maybe do the following:

There could be a new spell that let spellcasters cause eruptions on already existing volcanoes. This would give volcanoes an actual use and would not cripple anyone with a random event. Replace the tier 3 fire spell with volcanic eruption and you make it a late game event that only happens when high level spellcasters make it happen.

Then you make it so it randomly affects the surrounding 8 tiles, one of which your spellcaster has to be on to cast the spell. That however sounds pretty overpowered depending on what kind of results you work in. Making the results random, with the potential loss of your high level caster though may balance it some depending on percentages, etc.

Still, even with a wonder like effect, this seems pretty over the top for balanced gameplay. It may be something I consider modding in to my own game though just for giggles.

Volcanic eruptions should definitely do something. The event could have some many options

A) Minor eruption:
- No Damage
- Minor lave flows and ash - destroy tile improvements % Chance
- Major Pyroclastics (ash and mud flows) all improvements in one direction up to 3 tiles % chance of being destroyed. However also a % chance of new resources (Wheat, grain, wine) being found - from the ferility bonus of the ash.
- Lair of the Wyrm! - the volcano is inhabited by a small firedrake this could create its event.
- Fissure from Hell! - a patch of hellfire opens up could allow an event tree that spawns the veil.

B) Major Eruption!
- If the city is adjacent to the volcano then there should be a chance of a pompei style eruption (city destroyed) other wise the city takes a population and building hit
- Volcanic Winter! randomly degrades terrains back to plains/tundra. All cities worldwide lose population and the Armageddon counter goes up 2 (Think the nasty eruption in the middle ages in Iceland, called the year of winter or year with no summer. very nasty - especially the flourine poisoning that those living within the eruptions vicinity had to cope with)
- If on the coast or Island then there should be a chance of a Tsunami that hits all cities in the coast line within 10? tiles. (Think Thera - That really smarted, Krakatoa was a mere pop compared to that.)
- Valley of Fire. The volcano is actually a gateway to the plane of fire and x Fire elementals + Azer appear and ravage the countryside, the terrain within 3 tiles has a % chance of being converted to fields of perdition. Armageddon counter goes up by 2.

Thats just off the top of my head. Volcanic eruptions could be some much more entertaining!!

Top Bottom