Are we getting canals NOW?

egaonogenki

Warlord
Ever since Civilization II, I've been wanting canals. Even though the subsequent games haven't yet offered the construction of canals, I have patiently built my civilization around its lack of them, and been waiting for the ability to construct them to finally arrive.

Canals have been so pivotal to the development of civilization that there is no excuse to overlook them.

If to build a canal will cost 250 gold per tile, I will happily pay for it.

I promise that if players get to construct canals anywhere they'd like, then their economies are going to accelerate faster than they could without them.

What have you heard about canals getting included into Civ V?

One of the interviews had a developer hem and haw when asked about canals. They didn't say no, but they didn't say yes either.

Other than that, there is no info available.

I agree. Just look at the Suez Canal. A whole war was fought over it. The Panama Canal allowed ships to pass through one ocean to the next, which was separated by two, connected continents. Canals were useful in real life because the map of the Earth emphasized it, but its importance on various, randomized maps in the game would fluctuate. In any event, however, a canal system needs to be implemented into the game, and it should have some political effects as well. (If you nationalize a canal, for example, it should be a reason for war, especially if a canal allows passage to a crucial waterway.)

I thought canals were already in Civ4 (BTS). Build a fort on a coastal square in your borders and ships can pass through.

I don't think I have BTS. Interesting. If I connected 10 forts from one coast to the other, would they all act as a long canal?

The forts have to be connected directly (as in touching it) to a water source to allow ships to pass through. So you could build a fort on the coast, and another fort next to that one, but ships can only enter the first fort unless the second one directly touches a lake/ocean as well.

The forts have to be connected directly (as in touching it) to a water source to allow ships to pass through. So you could build a fort on the coast, and another fort next to that one, but ships can only enter the first fort unless the second one directly touches a lake/ocean as well.

IIRC you could have a three-tile canal if the central tile was a city. Could be wrong.

I agree. Just look at the Suez Canal. A whole war was fought over it. The Panama Canal allowed ships to pass through one ocean to the next, which was separated by two, connected continents. Canals were useful in real life because the map of the Earth emphasized it, but its importance on various, randomized maps in the game would fluctuate. In any event, however, a canal system needs to be implemented into the game, and it should have some political effects as well. (If you nationalize a canal, for example, it should be a reason for war, especially if a canal allows passage to a crucial waterway.)

Panama canal had it's own war as well. Columbia was invaded and Panama was given independence by America in order for American company's to build the Panama canal and thus get control of it for 100 years in exchange.

IIRC you could have a three-tile canal if the central tile was a city. Could be wrong.

Yes, you are wrong. Non-coastal cities can't have ships in them.

Only coastal cities/forts can have ships in them.

If you've got a lot of inland lakes, you can often cross moderate continents with a little creativity.

egaonogenki, you may deposit $250 in my Paypal account as payment for finding this for you.

Okay, this thread's less than 6 months from the last post so I'm not necromancing it; I'm merely "un-comatosing" it.

So what have we heard about having canals on V by now?

I'm surprised that nobody ever invented a "Canal" improvement for Civilization 4. Wouldn't you just need to copy the fort's code, change the graphic to... something (maybe the river), and reduce the defense bonus to 0-5%.

I guess we'll have to mod it in with Civ 5...

I'm surprised that nobody ever invented a "Canal" improvement for Civilization 4. Wouldn't you just need to copy the fort's code, change the graphic to... something (maybe the river), and reduce the defense bonus to 0-5%.

WOW. we should have done that long ago. i'm going to (try to) do that this week, if i'm successful (i don't really know very much about modding, all i've done is make nukes more powerful) i'll upload it to CFC and post a link here.

i'm going to (try to) do that this week
Left my BtS disk in my dorm, i'm at home over an extended weekend. not happening this week.

Just saw the "behind the scenes" documentary, and they obviously made the artwork for Panama canal - see the attached pic. Too bad it didn't make it to the game. Canals would be great (though I would restrict them to at most 2 hexes wide isthmuses).

PS: A little bit of OT: an icebreaker unit would also be really handy sometimes :)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• panama.jpg
    panama.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 4,489
OMG I've wanted these forever... please someone make them for Civ5!

And they should be able to go as far as you want. Look at the freaking Erie Canal. It goes from Albany to Buffalo.

I also think that cities on a canal that is connected to the ocean should be able to build as if they were ON the ocean. Seaports, etc.

Or... maybe you should do two types of canals? There are obviously the canals like panama that can pass HUGE ships... but then there are canals like the Erie that can pass smaller ships, but can do much longer runs...?

My idea is to introduce an expansion with walls and canals- improvements build on the edges of tiles. Walls give a bonus to friendly units in a tile next to them and replace the current ones in cities. Canals look and operate like rivers, but are built. They must be built starting from a water source to a water source and each tile must border flatland.

Top Bottom