1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are We Likely To See A Patch Before Feb?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by kamex, Nov 28, 2017.

1. kamex

kamex Emperor

I'm excited about the expansion as the next guy, but I hope they address some of the bugs in the current build before then - at very least the stupid start position bug. Do you think its likely?

2. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

3. PYITE

PYITE Prince

I would think they would give fixing the start location bug another try, but that’s all.

4. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Hopefully, but I don't think so.

5. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I think in 5 when they came out with the expansions, they did also patch some bugs in the base game too. I doubt it would be as large a change as we just got, but wouldn't shock me to see them fix a couple bugs in a "final" patch for the base game.

6. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

This will be an unpopular opinion around here, but I'm not buying the expansion if this bug makes it to February. I won't reward Firaxis' unsatisfactory support of the base game by purchasing the expansion.

7. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

> Can't even get start locations right
    > Plans new expansion

That being said, I'll probably be buying if (if it has new features) when the Steam Sales come along. But this is why I'll never buy it at full price.

8. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

With Civ 6 Firaxis developed this really bad habit of only releasing patches when there's DLC to sell.
    Not that it matters much. Most of what annoyed me early has been fixed, or at least improved.

9. kamex

kamex Emperor

Seems a reasonable stance to have to be honest. The bug support for the base game has been terrible.

sanchopanda likes this.
  10. JacquesBquick

JacquesBquick Chieftain

I also don't blame you for this opinion. We can still make it clear we expect a winter patch to the game to mainly clean up any remaining bugs, they have time to make that happen still if its made clear that's what's expected.

Greasy Dave likes this.
  11. bbbt

bbbt Deity

We'll, they still haven't released the Mac/Linux ports of the last patch - the assumption being that they may be working on the xplatform fix in conjunction with Firaxis. If that's the case, those could come out in conjunction with a PC patch that also slipped in a few more bug fixes?

If not, maybe they'll release a 'winter patch' on their next production release - on February 8th ;)

12. WorldWarIV

WorldWarIV Captain

I'd like to know the base game is a bit more ironed out before I give more of my money.

Greasy Dave likes this.
  13. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Roman Pleb

They mentioned that there are 8 new civs and 9 leaders that they will reveal before the release (which is only 70 days away). I expect in lieu of any patches or DLC, we'll get a new leader revealed every week up until the release.

14. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Well those really have nothing to do with one another, I mean that is like saying instead of ordering a new computer I will go for a run. One doesn't exclude the other.

15. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Roman Pleb

I mean that since they'll be putting out a new video every week with their announcement, they probably feel they'll be keeping the hype train rolling anyway. They won't need to release any DLC.

For video games, DLC is part content, part publicity. You release a new patch and new video every few months to keep people talking about the game. There's so much hype right now that they probably see no reason to put out DLC. If they had content to release, I expect they'd either wait until a few months after the Expansion comes out or bundle it into the expansion.

So, yes, I think it's very valid to assume that because there will be regular information releases from Firaxis, they won't be releasing any new DLC in the next 70 days.

16. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Roman Pleb

For Civ 5, there was no DLC released between the announcement of the first Expansion and the release of the second Expansion.

17. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

The mythical cross-play multiplayer patch may yet surface courtesy of Aspyr, and it's possible that another mini update may come to address the Fall Patch Start Bug, as this would seem to be very little effort.

But in terms of gameplay content or balance patching, there will be nothing.

18. conorbebe

conorbebe King

I'm hoping that the reason many issues concerning Civ VI have remained unaddressed is because Rise and Fall will rework/redesign a number of aspects of the game, thus making temporary fixes less of a priority. It's already been confirmed that the expansion will bring UI adjustments, but whether that will be available to vanilla players is currently unknown.

19. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

They already gave that a try, so I think it may be more complicated than it appears.

20. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

I won't buy the expansion in February, no matter what. I'm going to wait and see what people on here think about the expansion and what the changes to game play precisely are. If it looks that the new mechanics genuinely improve the game - that they make sense, affect strategies and the AI can sufficiently handle them - then I'll buy it in March or April. Basically, all the bugs and some aspects of the game design itself leave my confidence in Firaxis wavering. If I am to buy the expansion, I want to first see that the changes and content it introduces are actually good ideas well implemented and not a half-baked cake that's going to need a year of re-balancing to fulfill its potential.

DizzKneeLand33 and Greasy Dave like this.