1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are world/national units too powerful?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Pelaka, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Pelaka

Pelaka Chieftain

I think the early/mid game is very nicely balanced (except for the $%@# rangers :) up through the first Str 6-7 heros you can get. However, past that things unbalance very quickly. The problem is that once a Civ gets its str 9+ heros or national units it can very quickly steamroll the rest of the world. Its even worse when you get 3-4 confessors stacked with a str 11+ unit to defend them. Most cities quickly fall to 2 rounds of mass flame strikes.

In the games I play one day we are playing with nicely balanced 5-7 units, then 20-30 turns latter there are a half dozen or so str 11+ units, with nothing in between. The only way to defend against this onslaught are world/national units of your own... there are no str 9'ish normal units you can mass produce to try to take these down in human wave attacks.

Whats even worse, is many of these world/national units are of a different "specialty" then the path they lie on. Druids are the worse. Why waste time trying to build the priest or arcane paths... just go recon for military power and at the end you get the best caster in the game. Likewise, there are some very powerful melee units in the priest line.

Is this really the sort of gameplay we want?

Pel

2. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

I don't like the tier4 units either, but just FYI:

Arquebusiers

3. triangle

triangle Chieftain

I don't think national units are overpowered.

Frankly, If you can steamroll the enemy because you have T4 units and they only have T3s that's youre reward for out teching them.

Stacks of national units hitting stacks of national units in cities seems pretty fair.

If anything, arquebusiers are the ones that are overpowered. Why even reasearch golem mastery when you can always just spam arquebusiers? It makes golem mastery (unless you're runes) much less useful.

4. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Axemen steamroll warriors, macemen steamroll axemen, Spartiatoi steamroll macemen. Really, FfH doesn't reward technologically specialized realms enough; military superiority should be taken from them, too.

5. Fr8Train

Fr8Train Chieftain

I agree that druids are a bit overpowered for how early you can get them.

6. Gamestation

Gamestation Introducing Servo

I though Arquebusiers were also national units.

7. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Not anymore. Kael wanted to make more of a difference between gunpowder and non-gunpowder Civs.

8. Gamestation

Gamestation Introducing Servo

Oh, that sucks for the person that is behind in tech and relying on walls to protect their cities.

9. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

I want a universal gunpowder hero...

10. Silverkiss

Silverkiss NekoChan

It would be cool... But it HAS to be dwarven lol, even if anyone with any religion can build it....

11. QES

QES Court Jester

I want a universal Gambling hero.

"A monster has taken ahold of your mother, I name him GAMBLOR!" - Homer Simpson

-Qes

12. Uberslacker

Uberslacker Tilda Junkie

13. eerr

eerr Emperor

14. QES

QES Court Jester

Could name him "Qes"
    -Qes

EDIT: Kidding of course, but perhaps Gamblor could have like a very strange variable system. Maybe he's a Str 1 unit with the following (during a potential battle):

20% chance of killing a opposing unit outright
    20% Chance of forcing opposing unit to "escape" to capital (works on attack or defence)
    20% Chance of stealing gold from oppoenant and "escaping" to capital
    20% chance of of casting dominate on opposing unit
    10% Chance of instantly dying
    10% chance of randomly casting scorch, bloom, vitalize, or fallout (and no battle occurs)

15. naf4ever

naf4ever Dread Lord

World units are not too powerful because they are just one unit. Even if a mithril golem comes at one of your cities all you have to do is sit back and summon 2 imps (or any other wimpy creature) every turn. The golem only has one attack and will never bust through 2 in the same turn unless he has help.

World units arent that great.

16. eerr

eerr Emperor

but then all your enemy needs to do is train a few units capable of killing imps
    (luchiurp could make the mith golem super powerful and then send buffed up dwarven mages to attend him)
    i'll have to try that to defend agains juggernaut strategies though...

17. Uberslacker

Uberslacker Tilda Junkie

This is actually in line with how I visualised the Loki unit when I first read it was in the game. Perhaps Loki is the God of Gamblers.