Are you a Pessimist, or an Optimist?

Are you a Pessimist, or an Optimist?

• Total voters

Verarde

Pondering Wearing A Hat
So, I was reading in my Health textbook today about the differences between optimism and pessimism, and I was curious to know what the majority of people here are.
According to these definitions, taken from the book:

Pessimist: one who has the tendency to see what is gloomy, or anticipate the worst possible outcome.

Optimist: one who has the tendency to look on the more favorable side of happenings.

Another optimist definition that was given was: "to see the worst in complete realism, but believe the best."

Oh, and a downtownist believes that a little downtown in everyone's lives makes life better.

If you are something else, please specify.

Also, if you feel like you have your own definition, please give it. I will eventually be editing all definitions into the OP, at some future time (hopefully).

I'd have to say, pessimist. After all, I still expect the Redskins to flop big time against the Eagles.

I've been a pessimist for all of my life.

I am an optimist
I know everything will be good at the end
As long as I'm living here
I am an optimist!

I'm even optimistic that I could translate the refrain from a Norwegian candidate for the Eurovision song contest in 1989:

Link to video.

:D

The glass is at 50% capacity.

The glass is at 50% capacity.

Agreed. But I tend to focus on worst case more than best case scenarios because usually they require far more attention if they occur. In general I use the standard, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Expect somewhere in the middle.

I understand that a lot of crappy things will happen, but that doesn't mean I won't hope for the best case. I'm generally optimistic about most non-sports related things.

I understand that a lot of crappy things will happen, but that doesn't mean I won't hope for the best case. I'm generally optimistic about most non-sports related things.
This. Sports: it's the worst. Life: it's good. :)

I consider myself to be an optimist, always looking on the good side of things, generally disregarding the "everything is horrible" mentality.

Doesn't mean I'm naive and don't see that bad things can and will happen though.

Pessimist in the short run, optimist in the long run.

The Optimist sees the glass as half full.

The Pessimist sees it as half empty.

Skwink asks for a refill.

The Optimist sees the glass as half full.

The Pessimist sees it as half empty.

Skwink asks for a refill.

:lol: epic:p

I'd say pessimist, just because I always think something will go wrong, and it usually does Nothing super-major yet, but I always expect it to rain the day I go to a waterpark, and it usually does. I usually expect to get unlucky in games and I do. That type of thing.

Top Bottom