1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a USA conservative, do you favour a default ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by otago, Jul 6, 2011.

1. amadeus

amadeus Large Marge sent me

As a libertarian, I can say that you believe wrong. Americans like taxes (for other people) and like programs (for themselves.)

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Gimme ma damn cake and he gunna pay fo it cuz he gotz teh monez. They want to eat cake, they want to keep it and they want someone else to pay for the damn cake.

we have seen the enemy and he is us

3. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

I sincerely doubt that you're thinking what I'm thinking.

I guess that means I would rather be a fool than either a democrat or a republican.

We enjoyed the contest in October 2008. This is the fallout. The consequences have been darned.

4. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Not happening. If Obama tries to do that, it gets blocked in the House and we have a default. And Obama can't abide a default.

Obama won't allow those programs to stop in the first place. Problem is, now that he's bumped us against the debt ceiling, the only way he can keep said programs going is to toss in his cards. Obama should not be playing poker if he isn't willing to call a bluff. (of course, we can't be sure if the Republicans are bluffing, that's what makes this so exciting! :groucho: )

Most likely. And hopefully that would lead to both parties getting the boot in 2012. Only problem with that (not from my viewpoint, but from the viewpoint of most other CFC'ers) is this result would allow the Tea Party to make further inroads into federal politics...... :eek:

5. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Janitorial work and what not for the federal govt is actually contracted out to private companies.

6. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I'm not a conservative but I favor a default if it means democrats don't give in to republican demands of no tax hikes and cutting medicare and social security.

7. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Why shouldn't we pay higher taxes to pay for what we spend? Why should the poor suffer because the rich are better at organizing welfare for themselves?

8. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I would prefer we raise taxes for the wealthier Americans. Lower income Americans shouldn't have their taxes increased.

9. Cutlass

That isn't what you implied with your earlier post. And if the Republicans don't give in, pretty much everyone will be worse off.

10. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

I know I'm late to the party, if this has already been answered please link me to the post.

What's all this stuff that the Democrats shoved through, ignoring Republican objections? Because I'm pretty sure the GOP had a significant role in the mutilation of that health bill.

Uh, okay?

11. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Actually, it was less the GOP doing that, as opposed to the more conservative democrats in congress having serious doubts about it as well.

12. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Now here's a guy who's in the mood for some poker. :cowboy:

I favor a default if it will get deficit spending to go down.

When BasketCase and Xanik are face to face at the table....? :groucho: That's a wicked card game right there. And that's where the Republicans and the Democrats are right now. Both sides are playing it hard. Who's bluffing? What if neither side is bluffing.....? Only one way to find out. Come August 2nd, both sides show their cards. Exciting, isn't it? :)

If the Democrats don't give in, the poor will be worse off than that. If our credit rating goes down, it will be more expensive to borrow, and we'll be hitting debt ceilings ever faster. Until, finally, we end up where Greece is and we won't be able to borrow any more. At that point? The safety net crashes. Medicare? Gone. Social Security? Toast. Unemployment benefits? Zipped.

If the Democrats throw in their cards, social spending will go down. If they don't, social spending will go way down.

Why do the poor suffer? Because they're poor. Only way to solve that is for them to turn themselves into rich people. At which point the social engineers turn on them and stab them in the back for being rich.

13. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Uh, can you re-read my question? It's the part with the ? after it.

14. say1988

say1988 Deity

If the Republicans don't give in, the poor will be worse off than that. If our credit rating goes down, it will be more expensive to borrow, and we'll be hitting debt ceilings ever faster. Until, finally, we end up where Greece is and we won't be able to borrow any more. At that point? The safety net crashes. Medicare? Gone. Social Security? Toast. Unemployment benefits? Zipped.

If the Republicans throw in their cards,taxes will go up. If they don't, taxes will go way up.

15. aw3524

aw3524 Prince

Assuming the Republicans are able to force serious reform out of the situation, which would you prefer: a dropped payment that comes with cleaning up excess spending today, or getting paid on time while your debtor continues to spend far beyond its means? Remember when Russia actually defaulted? They were back to low interest rates in a couple years.

... but it's probably more likely the Republicans will fold, like they did with TARP, and we'll get no serious reform to ballooning government.

16. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Poor analogy. Russia at the time due to the continued collapse of their monetary system was using a barter system in many areas so there was less disruption. Additionaly, Russia had oil. Lots of oil. And it so happened that a year or so after they defaulted the price of oil skyrocketed.
    So yeah: bad analogy is bad.

17. Cutlass

Poor analogy in another way as well. It's not like it would be difficult or damaging to tax up to current spending. The far right just uses that as an excuse to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

18. Junius

Junius Prince

Do you really believe that the GOP "hate" poor people? It's not just a difference of opinion, but they actively want to keep some people poor or force others into poverty?

19. aw3524

aw3524 Prince

Nonsense. Returning resources to the private sector would make everyone wealthier, rich and poor alike.

20. say1988

say1988 Deity

You just missed the point entirely.

Your quote says no such thing (growth can be spread out or limited to certain sections of the population) and the pdf won't load for me.