1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Are you D-O-N-E with CiV?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Sherlock, Mar 24, 2016.

1. jayjackson

jayjackson Warlord

Yep, I buy the game at launch every time, play one or maybe two games, and then switch off for a looooong time until the game is pretty much "final."

I'll grab the expansions and play a game as they come out, but I don't do HoF or other competitions until the final.

2. Darth Tribble

Darth Tribble Friendly Neighborhood Conqueror

Not yet. I actually rarely played CiV until a year ago and it's not too long until Civ6 is released.

3. HughFran

HughFran Prince

Blasphemy !!!!!

4. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Warlord

I play a random civ to industrialization and then quits only to restart with a new one. At that point I am pretty sure how and when I will win. Sometimes (most really) that is very apparent earlier then that but the game is still fun to play.

5. jayjackson

jayjackson Warlord

Actually, I couldn't agree with orasis more. Fallout and Fallout 2 were both amazing, but they were actually RPG's. Now? Open-world shooters with a few RPG elements.

It doesn't even feel like the same franchise anymore.

Now back to your regularly scheduled CiV posts. ;)

6. 14thwarrior

14thwarrior Chieftain

I am completely useless at CIV V, which is probably what keeps me coming back. Mind you I only recently updated to the extra game DLC, so I am still utterly bewildered by the new stuff. Probably why I joined this forum, I just don't get far atm, I've done it on Emperor pre DLC, I fear to try it on Emperor now. :)

7. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

Still aint tired of Civ V after 1,100 hours of playing, I've still got a game to finish.

8. vagr0m

vagr0m Chieftain

following Zigzagzigal's guides on steam i have won at emperor/epic/huge continents 9 times:
    Babylon - Scientific
    Rome - Domination
    Egypt - Cultural
    Greece - Diplomatic
    Mayas - Sc.
    Japan - Dom.
    India - Cult.
    Arabia - Dipl.
    Assyria - Sc.
    ... now i'm in the middle of a domination victory with Persia and i hope someday i will play all 43 leaders at least once:sheep:.. my schedule for my next pick is Polynesia, Celts or Byzantines...

9. Gaskes

Gaskes Chieftain

I have copied this from another thread as I think it appropriate.

Being an old fart (60) and having played games from the year dot (I cannot find it on the web but it was a BBC line action/strategy space flight game and landing your ship in the space station was a difficult task (other words modded out) You had to buy and sell cargo to upgrade your space ship).

I now find Civ V boring (3650 hours later) but it is the best strategy game I have ever played (Civ 1-4. 100 unit on 1 tile was fun but very predictable). I have just finished 1.75 bottles of red wine before you rip into me.:)

I now play diety with aiken's mod and ige (England - 3 city start) to make it interesting and can still lose if am not careful.

Looking forward to civ6 - If I live long enough.:)

Try the mods before you right the game off and I have done all the civs - but not all of the scenarios as I found them boring.

10. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

After playing regularly from about 1997 to 2014 (Civ2, Civ4, Civ5), I retired from playing Civ the past two years. I still think Civ5 (with BNW) was easily the best Civ game ever, superior in nearly every single way to Civ4, but I had done all that I wanted to do (i.e., win regularly on Immortal with most leaders, playing on different maps, OCC etc.).

I think the reasons are several. At my age (late 50s), I find it harder to play 20-30 hour strategy games, esp. since I pay attention to/micromanage everything. So I switched mostly to iPad games, particularly board games. But I do have to mention that I put in 400 hours annually playing Assassin's Creed Black Flag and of course, modded Skyrim. No time or inclination to play Civ when I can do those instead. :)

11. noto2

noto2 Emperor

Buccaneer - I have the same problem, man. A game of Civ5 takes a long time to complete, even on a standard map at standard speed. I can't do it in one sitting because I have real life things to do and can't play from the moment I wake up to the moment I sleep. I can play about 5 hours/day if I really prioritize it, which means it takes 2-3 days to finish a game.

The problem is I never want to pick a game up again after it's already started. How do you overcome this?

12. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Every Civ game I had played took about the same length (20-30 hours, same as MadDjinn's videos); therefore, I knew that I had to dedicate 10-14 days to play a game (2-3 hours/day on average). I started doing that in Civ2 and it simply became a habit = to set apart the time to start, play and finish. Though I was a micromanager, I appreciated and looked forward to the changes from one era to the next. BNW finally made the end game fun, if going non-conquest, and I wanted to get there. It is discipline to set the goal to finish, make the time to do so (over whatever length) and know that you will enjoy every step along the way (which Civ5 did nearly perfectly).

13. IkM

IkM King

I'm saying same but finding myself in game after a while :D

You can play Civ games any time. One doesn't siply say I'm done. ;)

14. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

I tried last night but it's just too predictable. Ed is right about players getting into ruts because some things are just 'the best way to do things'.

I hope CIVI is really better about that.

15. sixty4half

sixty4half Prince

Why are your games taking 20-30 hours? A 4-City Tradition, rush NC and Turtle game typically takes me about 8-10 hours. A full on 8 Civ Domination game, by comparison, while taking 100 or more turns less to finish, takes about 15 hours. What is it that I am not micro-managing that makes up for the vast difference in times between you guys' games and mine?

16. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

I think a lot of people aren't going for fastest finishes or they like role-playing, or epic/marathon speeds, large/huge Maps, etc. I used to love 18 civ huge marathon games in civ4 pre-warlords expansion (no vassals). Those games could easily take up to 30 hours or longer. I had one that went 50 hours.

17. sixty4half

sixty4half Prince

I'm not really a "fast finish" type of player either. I think my quickest science victory was Korea on Immortal in 1927 on Standard.

I wish I could play 18 civ Huge maps. Even with only 8 civs I have to shut the PC down after an hour of playing. I've played 1 Marathon game in Civ 5. Towards the end I think I only stuck it out because I wanted to go ahead and get the achievement for the time invested. I'm not sure I can do Epic.

18. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Civ5 marathon just feels too long. I love epic on civ5. Those games don't go that long for me, though. Like 15 hours average. As mentioned earlier in this thread (I think) IMO civ 5 just isn't as role playable / immersive as 4 was. I find myself trying to win faster in civ5 rather than develop a civ and personalize to make it feel like my own. That's just a playstyle choice though.

19. Sclb

Sclb Emperor

Depends on the level of micromanaging you do. A game will take more than 20 hours even if it's SV if you went liberty wide and manage cities each turn such as reassigning citizens to get better growth/production. Most of the time on domination games though, I will skip micromanaging cities every turn and focus on the war, but it is still going to be better to micromanage core empire.

20. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I only played on standard speed and some victories take longer than others. I do not, in any sense, roleplay but I do micromanage and pay attention to everything that's happening. Watch a MadDjinn let's play to see how I similarly play. Besides, I did take my time and invested in each game (since I tried to do something different each time), not feeling like I needed to rush to complete.