Are you getting the warlord expansion set?

I'd probably get it for the vassalation option & the new civs!

I'll definitely be getting it. I am surprised by the inclusion of the Zulus though. There seems to be quite a focus on the scenarios. I hope the extra interesting things in the scenarios are in the normal game as well.

Looking forward to the Vassal State, Warlord GP, unique buildings and the Genghis Khan scenario.

Watiggi

I'm going to get it. It seems that there's plenty of stuff that probably should have been in the base game if they'd had another year to develop it.

Looking forward to being able to play Carthage, incidentally. For some reason I always liked playing them in Civ3.

When I get Civ 4 (Hopefully soon) Of course I'll get warlords when it comes out. The new content sounds great

Dont these people realise how tight the finanaces are around here without releasing new civ 4 products.

I want the new traits and leaders. I do miss the Zulus. Spearmen with 2 movement would be fun. Or perhaps movement cost over mountain/jungle and forest reduced.

I guess i will have to put in a few hours at work before its released. So i can take the time off after to play it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll probably buy it. Despite the Vikings.

I'll second that! Never got the whole love affair with the Vikings. I dont think they rate as a great Civ... A great "people", yes. A great Civilization, no.

Vikings? Hmmmm. Berserkers! I think I'll go play Total War: Viking Invasion whilst I wait for the Exp. Pak (even if the box does have silly horned helmeted Vikings on it).

Alter Ego said:
No - it's because they live in a hot climate. Ok, poor joke ... but really, the inclusion of the Zulus reinforces, and is probably a result of, the traditional Eurocentric conception of Africa. I'm pretty sure Africans don't want to be represented by a people that completely fits the Western stereotype. And because the Zulus match everything we've been fed about Africa in imaginative imperialist fiction, they've also become boring. Bloodthirsty savages stopped being exciting in the 50s.

Personally, I had hoped for an interesting African civilization to be included in the xpac - like Abyssinia. The devs showed some creativity in including Mali instead of Zululand in vanilla civ4, but unfortunately they've gotten more conservative with their civ choices.

Hard to disagree with you. I think the history of Zulu's in Civ was the big factor as well as the "Oh they might be fun to play" factor. At least going with Bantu would have been better. Anyway, the whole cultural tribal group thing is an area that is under represented even if a little unimaginative. Perhpas My money is also on the Iroquois being made playable in the next expansion pack.

As usual I struggle to understand why people (not yourself based on your reply) are against cultural groups being represented. Why the strict rule and definition on 'Civilization' if it limits the options you have to have fun and recreate history?

I also hope Firaxis give consideration to increasing the number of units in the promotion tree. I figure the original idea was to create a streamlined, unclutted experience of rock beats scissors etc.but I dislike the lack of variety and could not go back to Vanilla Civ for this reason. In fact, because the talented mod makers out there have fleshed out the military units so well, I'd like to see Firaxis go a little further out on a limb and introduce units with new functions - specifically Submarines with stealth and introducing spies that are actually useful. Things that the mod community would find harder to do.

I will buy and enjoy the new Civs and scenarios because overall I find them excellent choices well suited to me, but I'd encourage Firaxis to be even more creative in other areas and features. And try and give people greater flexibility to play with or without them

I'm getting it -- it has Carthage! Yay! As for the Zulu, they fill in the map in Southern Africa, which is why I'm not severely ticked off at them. That, and I still haven't gotten my revenge on Shaka for some times he kicked my rear in Civ III...

Heheh, he never beat me once, in three majour confrontations. Silly Shaka, too violent for his own good.

I'll wait for a gold collection to come out, or something like that.

I wont buy it. It makes me disappointed to see the Koreans but not another Asia Civs in the expansion pack. Firaxis's going to make money from Koreans and i'm going to show them how much they lose from real gamers

I wont buy it. It makes me disappointed to see the Koreans but not another Asia Civs in the expansion pack

Good for you Koelle. I share your frustration. The problem is that Firaxis went with some poll taken after the game came out. Most people here are in America or Europe and have little/no knowlege of the history of other parts of Asia. Personally I can see Vietnam, Siam, or Khmer in before the Celts or even (dare I say it?) Carthage.

Well, maybe in the next expansion? Doubt it though.

I really don't have much problems with the zulus, in fact, they will make real world map games so much more fair. I think they could have called the Zulus the Bantus if they wanted to be "politically correct".
I am extremely disappointed thought that Firaxis did not include the Iroquois Confederacy or the Khmer Empire. These civs would have provided very unique units and balanced out the world map so much better.

I love fighting Zulus in Civ3.... It was like I built my empire, and they built another for me :) always had tanks when Zulus still had impies... Always doubled my empire withZulus :) hell if they were near theyd be dead. only Once were they my equals.. damn England and Russia, fed Zulus tech, and America wounded my economy thru war...I mean i won.. but the war was hard lol

I'll buy it for Vassal State. Why? because I dont need religion to control the world. also.. I try to turn other civsa into my vassals anyway.

I might get it, I've bought almost every expansion pack for the civ series, the fantasty expansion pack for civ2, CTP for Civ3, SMAC and SMACX....

also, where can I find some info on it? I know the CFC site does have a warlords expansion pack page, but its outdated by over a month.

I'm definately gonna get it.
They added every civ I wanted in the expansion, and the Vassal states sounds awesome, especially for multiplayer. Instead of just dieing in multiplayer, you can keep playing, and eventually its 1 on 1, only... they have civs under their control

the vassal states sounds like the typical conquest that has happened in history, like England and India... until India revolted after WWII and the British empire was crumbling anyway.

Top Bottom