1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you going to pay $5.00 for one Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Capt Ajax, Oct 26, 2010.

?

Are you going to pay $5.00 for the Babs?

1. YES

78 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. NO

285 vote(s)
    78.5%
  1. Capt Ajax

Capt Ajax Warlord

Are you really going to shell out 5 clams for ONE CIV? Lets see.....that's about 10% of what the game cost you....so really?

2. Thor Macklin

Thor Macklin Warlord

Yup. I have no issue spending a mere $5 dollars for one civ.

Now I won't be doing it again, and if they decide to make this
    the case every time they make a new civ, THEN I'll be ticked.
    And will wait until an expansion pack comes out.

3. Capt Ajax

Capt Ajax Warlord

It seems to me that by laying down the $5.00 it sends the message that they CAN get away with charging us "by the civ". I don't want my Civilizations Ala Cart :)

Does it even come with a new scenario or do you just get the civ and that's it?

4. CaptainKapow

CaptainKapow Immortal

Nope.

Going to wait for the eventual steam sale when more of the Civ5 DLC is out.

Yay for steam sales! :)

5. Jharii

Jharii King

*shrug*

If they set it to $5.00 and people don't buy it, they will drop the price. If they set it to $2.50 and people don't buy it, they will drop the price.

6. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

$5 for a little bit of leader art is a total ripoff. Sorry, but it is.

7. Meeber

Meeber Chieftain

Were did you see this at?

8. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

If I need to add more leaders and civs, I'll just download free mods. They may not be as pretty, but I'm not too concerned with prettiness.

(This is deja vu all over again... didn't we just have this thread?)

9. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Nope.

I feel that 5$ is excessive for the content.

10. Vastator

Vastator Chieftain

Absolutly no...

11. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

No. I bought the Digital Deluxe version of Civ V, so I haven't paid for any DLC yet, but if it comes out and it's $5 a civ, that's a little too pricey for me. I'll just wait for the eventual Steam Sale/Expansion Pack.

12. walls99

walls99 Chieftain

$2.50 seems reasonable to me. If we divide the full price by the number of default Civs we get, 18 + the free Mongols, its $2.63 a civ. I would pay that for the new Civ. Anything higher for me is a no.

13. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

No.

Even less as under the current system there is a clear tendency to make any new civ "stronger", especially as you will not pay for "weak" civs.
    As I have said in another thread already, this looks like Marvel comics, introducing more and more "super heroes" with more and more crazy supernatural powers.

14. Rexflex

Rexflex Prince

As the DLC builds up, we could see DLC packs at a marked down total price. I'm inclined to wait and see. I don't miss the Babylonians enough to pay $5 for them alone at this point.

15. Rince

Rince King

I think $5 is a fair price (and 3.49€ is just great)! However, I'm not going to buy it because I am far away from having tried all the other civs in the game.

I also noted that Babylon is in the Top Sellers section of Steam (along with Civ5 itself btw.)...

16. Kryhavok

Kryhavok Chieftain

I don't feel like $5 is too much to ask, considering the work that went into creating the civ. But considering that I'm still new to Civilization and havent played NEARLY enough to play with each civ and explore their strengths/weaknesses completely, I will probably wait for a larger DLC or expansion pack.

17. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

My answer is "Maybe".

I probably won't give them $5 for Babylon, but there are civs which, if they sounded well-done, I'd consider $5 for. Babylon I probably wouldn't pay $1 for just because I have no interest in it.

So I can't answer yes or no without knowing all of the civs they'll ever release at $5.

18. Frimlin

Frimlin Wandering Wizard

I don't really have a big issue with paid DLC. No I'm not rich or anything. If I really like a game enough, I'm usually more than happy to get cool stuff even if it means parting with a takeaway meal's worth of cash.

The only thing that concerns me about paid DLC though, is that I fear it might have negative effects on the quality and substance of full blown expansion packs. What I mean is, it might seem more profitable from the game creator / publisher's side to sell cool stuff as DLC and thus it's not as profitable to stick all that cool content and more into an expansion pack. I fear the result will be expansion packs that don't deliver as much as they've done historically. Of course, I hope it won't be like this.

19. Generals3

Generals3 Warlord

Absolutely not . I would maybe purchase a 3 civ pack for 5$ but even than it would depend on how much i would like the civs. Personally i don't find the traits and Unique things of Babylon very interesting so i wouldn't even pay 1$ for it.

20. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I'm not going to buy any DLCs, 18 civs is enough for me to enjoy the game (I even removed the Mongols).