1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are You Going to Watch the Debates?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Paul in Saudi, Jun 26, 2019.

?

Will You Watch?

1. No

2. Yes, Live

3. Yes, afterwards

4. I will wait for Jimmy Kimmel to tell me what happened.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Remember a month or so ago, we had a thread involving Falun Gong, and a lot of people were like "look, just because they worship a messianic figure, practice faith healing, and shun unregulated contact with outsiders, that doesn't mean it's a cult"? I think it's something like that.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I think it is less logical to actually focus on Tulsi that much, Lexicus :) I mean she isn't going to get the nomination in 2020, and in 2024 (or 2028) it is AOC's time.
    Tulsi will possibly end up in some gov role.

3. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

She's getting a lot more airtime though. Same thing happened with Warren.

Start getting more airtime your profile goes up so I expect here to get into the top 6.

Keeps you in the debates and early leaders often fail to win the nomination.

If Bidens support collapses for example Tulsi might start to look more appealing along with Beto for example.

4. Kyriakos

Imo Beto is only there cause there are still so many candidates about. At least Tulsi has the ability to speak...

But I am not seeing her ending up being nominated. Hopefully AOC sealed it for Bernie. Biden should just fade away and Warren just doesn't have the numbers now.

5. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

AICs endorsement doesn't mean much.

Anyone who likes her is probably already voting for Sanders or similar candidate.

I highly doubt Bernie will win the nomination.

6. Truthy

Truthy Non-boolean

AIG's endorsement doesn't mean much

Lexicus likes this.
  7. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

A theory posted over at Poly is Gabbard was attacked to ensure she didn't become the green party's next candidate. Makes sense, Gabbard came out immediately to say she wouldn't run 3rd party. If Stein doesn't run, are the Greens going to fade away?

8. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Don‘t they have other candidates? The US Green Party is one of the more radical ones, right? As green parties can range from center to the left (watermelon or cucumbers, I guess there‘s also other fruity options for classification). Can‘t they not only run in non-swing states? That way they wouldn‘t be spoilers...

9. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I don't think it's quite the same, because I think most people are a lot less familiar with the Science of Identity Foundation than they are with Falun Gong. Tulsi's campaign has demonstrated high competence at messaging and she's been very good at "inoculating" people who already take her seriously against the Science of Identity Foundation issues (both the organization's nature as a cult founded by a man who makes Trump look good, and her continuing ties to people in the cult, e.g. paying a guy with ties to the cult who lives in a remote town in Washington state with no broadband internet access half a million dollars for digital marketing).
    So I think most people who have heard anything about her ties to the Science of Identity Foundation have probably dismissed those concerns as "Hinduphobic", and I think most people just don't know about it because while it's been reported on fairly extensively by local Hawaiian media it hasn't really caught on as a national narrative at all.

Again, part of that is because Gabbard is highly adept at messaging. Her recent Twitter spat with Clinton being a prime example. Obviously what she actually said is kinda insane but it will absolutely raise her profile and give her all kinds of extra exposure.

It worries me on a couple of levels. One, I think her campaign is basically ideologically fascist regardless of cult ties, but she has evidently tricked many people into believing she is somehow progressive, antiwar, or leftish. Two, her campaign appears to be at least in part intended to create more acceptance for the Science of Identity Foundation among mainstream Hindus (which is the reason for all the cozying up to Narendra Modi).

10. Kyriakos

Are you of the view that US voters care much about sects in the Hindu world then? :)

11. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Depends, right? How meme worthy is their poop in the Age Of assClown?

12. DJNotNice

DJNotNice Chieftain

While the idea that Tulsi has connections to Russia is just plain silly, I feel like her campaign amounts to little more than agitprop. Outside of this forum, the only people I've heard speak highly of her are right-wingers who are voting for Trump anyway.
    What exactly is her policy besides "not getting involved in aggressive illegal wars"? And why is that a policy instead of the bare minimum we should expect from candidates? She brings nothing to the table and only serves to lower the level of dialogue between the candidates. The longer these debates go on with these nobodies crowding the table, the more the Democrats are just embarassing themselves.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Biden & Harris are more "embarrassing" than Gabbard could be if she tried.

MagisterCultuum likes this.
  14. Narz

Narz keeping it real

When are the Republicans gonna have a debate already?

15. DJNotNice

DJNotNice Chieftain

I actually did not meant to refer to her in that sentence. It was more directed at other marginal candidates *cough*Beto*cough* as well as even some of the moderators/audience if we include these weird "town hall" or whatever events

16. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Because literally nobody else outside Bernie is saying this stuff.

And as to "brings nothing to the table," she's pretty singlehandedly sunk two campaigns so far.

Kyriakos likes this.
  17. DJNotNice

DJNotNice Chieftain

Whose two campaigns would those be?

18. Kyriakos

Kamala and that round-faced guy who fell in round one. Both sniped down by Tulsi.

19. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Tulsi has certainly shown herself to be the strongest attack dog, which is traditionally what candidates look for in the VP nominee.

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

No, I don't think many voters in the US care about that at all.