1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are You Going to Watch the Debates?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Paul in Saudi, Jun 26, 2019.

?

Will You Watch?

1. No

2. Yes, Live

3. Yes, afterwards

4. I will wait for Jimmy Kimmel to tell me what happened.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

A training school English class, if you combined everyone in the freakin' building, wouldn't even begin to approach any one of the monumental egos on that stage. You think there has been a presidential debate ever where even one of the participants wasn't saying "rules? pffft...moderators? pffft, and pfffft again." You could bring in a guy who could moderate a half dozen English class debates plus the Mayoral campaign debate in a small town all at the same time and those people would still just bull him over. They are vying for the most powerful office on the planet and they aren't going to skip a beat for some moderator.

Kaitzilla likes this.
  2. Imaus

Imaus King

Yes, but again, there are moderators present and this is still a debate. It is supposed to be structured and to many, it is supposed to be fair. I think a few Europeans might chime in on how they have rules that their audience is supposed to be balanced, internally, with supporters; and how moderators and rules actually have a sort of handle on the damn thing than none.

Again, this is part of why so many people don't watch these things. Letting these pompous goits run around like they own the corral and the only thing holding them back is a pr fence is not something we should be tolerating, celebrating, or getting used to.

3. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

2 more foreign policy questions

what would you do about the humanitarian crisis in Idlib, Syria - bad Syria/Russia

Buttigieg: I stand with the people of Idlib, changed the subject to health care
    Warren: not a time for military intervention, good for you Elizabeth... Then she blames Trump. But Trump aint the one who intervened militarily, that was Obama.

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Oh, I neither tolerate it nor celebrate it, but I'll cop to the getting used to it part since it has been going on for fifty years that I know of. If a candidate can't hold their own they ought not get on that stage.

5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Are you surprised that a Democrat would blame Trump for something at the Democratic debate?

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

He's raising the issue that his grasp of political strategy is singularly, uniquely daft.

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

They managed to flub the end of the debate even. Unreal. I almost wonder if they said the debate would continue after the commercials in order to get people to stick through one more round of commercials. They came back from break only to say it was over.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Imaus and Ajidica like this.
  8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Yeah. CBS needs to be banned from hosting any more debates.

Imaus and hobbsyoyo like this.
  9. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I stopped watching when the first break came up. This debate was so awful, I couldn't take it any longer. Pete talking over Bernie, everyone hitting each other like school kids. And everyone trying to take cheap shots at each other. Terrible waste of my time/

Imaus likes this.
  10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I described what she did. Hobbs asked if I'm surprised (no, I'm not) and you accuse me of not understanding that politicians lie. I've watched the Democrats lie about Trump for more than 3 years, I'm quite familiar with the strategy. But calling a lie 'political strategy' when your side does it is hypocritical.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  11. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Well now this one I must watch! It sounds like a train wreck. I haven’t seen it yet so I could be off the mark in my analysis here.

Ganging up on Sanders works in his favor. See Trump in ‘16. I hope they bicker him into the nomination.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. Patine

Patine Deity

Why must every politician, political party, of government only receive down-the-line praise or condemnation from any given source? Why is pointing the good and the bad traits and policies co-existing in the same considered such a rhetorical evil? It wasn't like that I was younger, and I think it's yet another of those degenerations and deteriorations of the public discourse I often bring up.

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I bow to your demonstrably greater familiarity with hypocrisy. When people tell me about hypocrisy I take pride in telling them I know an actual gormand, a veritable connoisseur of hypocrisy; the yardstick by which ordinary hypocrites are measured.

14. Arwon

Arwon

Political debates have basically nothing to do with debating as a competitive activity

rah and hobbsyoyo like this.
  15. Imaus

Imaus King

Bernie Sanders: “Misconception, and you’re hearing it here tonight, is that the ideas I’m talking about are radical. They’re not. In one form or another, they exist in countries all over the world. Healthcare is a human right. We have a necessity, a moral imperative, to address the existential threat of climate change. Other countries are doing that. We don’t need more people in jail — disproportionately African American — than any other country on earth. Not a radical idea.”

:grouphug::goodjob::thumbsup::bowdown:

He's not just saying it anymore but hammering it in. A few more concise and concrete details, and he'll be moving off the beachheads.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

The next time you accuse Trump of lying hopefully someone will be there to chastise your ignorance of political strategy.

17. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Emperor

I thought about it and decided I don't like it. Searches should only be carried out with a warrant or a probable cause not instigated by officers. By that I mean they should not be able to question people with the intent of establishing a probable cause for search, like they appear to do under this policy.

My misgiving about the success rate remains, though. If NYPD questions 10 people and 2 of them have illegal weapons, that's insane. I don't see why you wouldn't be alarmed by that. That's probably why this policy made it through Clinton's DOJ.

18. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

“-They talk about 40 democrats, 21 of those were people I spent $100M to help elect, all the new democrats that came in and put Nancy Pelosi in charge and gave the congress the ability to control this President. I bought… I… I got that.”

Thank you for your honesty about how you plan to run the oligarchy Mike. Very American, I’m sure the crowd loved it. I hear you bought them… you… you got them as well.

Imaus likes this.
  19. ThERat

ThERat Deity

The bought audience cannot change what people really think

Especially satisfying to see Bloomberg right at the bottom. He is disgusting as hell. If there is one reason to dislike oligarchs, he is the one

Imaus and Kyriakos like this.
  20. Patine

Patine Deity

I personally think the more disgusting plutocratic oligarchs are the ones that DON'T run for election, but blatantly bribe candidates and elected officials, through overt corruption and graft (which are serious in the U.S. Criminal Code, for offering or accepting) to betray, violate, and even abdicate their oaths of office and mandates, act against their constituents, lie to their nation about their intentions and reasons for contentious policies, and even fighting wars (often illegally) and utilizing one of the biggest international terrorist organizations in the world since the end of WW2 - the CIA - to improve profitability and secure resources in other countries for their plutocratic masters.

Socrates99 likes this.