Votes: 79 53.0%
  • No

Votes: 55 36.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 15 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
warpus said:
I would actually be delighted if right before the 2nd Gulf War the U.S. president went on TV and said: "Listen, we don't like this guy, we haven't liked him for a while, we'll have to take him out at one point or another.. before he develops nuclear weapons would be better! there's also oil there so that might help our economy and alleviate our energy needs... and as a side benefit we will attempt to turn Iraq into a democracy and use it as a temporary base to fight the war on terrorism."[...]
Hear, hear! :hatsoff: "You don't like him anymore? Go get him then! Good luck and take care." The truth always tastes better even than the finest expressed lie.
John HSOG said:
I just want someone to give me a detailed list of what we have to learn that others know and that we do not. Do you have anything specific to offer, in that regard?
The US government thought that the Iraqis would greet US soldiers with flowers and cheering. :lol: I'm sure that if they would've asked, somebody could have informed them that people don't like to see their country being invaded. ;)
I think the US government could pay more attention to cultural differences. Countries on the other side of the world don't want the US-brand of democracy.
Italians love Italy, and Germans love Germany etc, but they don't shout about it. Americans do. Where on earth did they/you get the notion that everybody else should love America too? Do you tell your friends about how good you think you are and get surprised when they seem bothered? :lol:

To answer the OP: I don't think people in general dislike the USA, it's just that those who do are being very loud about it.

nope, I'm an ingrate :p

really, I don't see why I should be grateful, at least not more than to Europe or any given State. I think the US is a pretty cool country, with some faults (like all other countries), but that's it. I don't feel a need to be grateful.

No.

We wouldn't be conquered by Nazi-Germany in WWII even if Americans wouldn't have landed to Normandy, coz Finland was a little amount of time on Germany's side AND we remained independent in war against Soviet Union.

Field_Marshal said:
Ive always wondered, howcome every time America does anything bad we get our heads bitten clear off?

Stop doing bad things than ;)

Field_Marshal said:
Its almost as if people forget that the world is heavily indebted to America, not just some financially.

You know nothing about world finance, do you? the US borrow around 3 billions dollars from the rest of the world EVERY single day :lol:

Field_Marshal said:
America does so much for the rest of the world but all we ever get is a spread of anti-americanism and rampant complaints about everything we do.

the US do indeed help the rest of the world, but compared to other countries they don't do much actually :lol: The US tend to help only regimes they like, link US economical help to political help from the por countries

Field_Marshal said:
Do you really want us to nitpick and complain about everything you guys do?

cause you think you don't???? the US the only country on earth that send missiles against countries they complain about :lol:

Field_Marshal said:
Take Suadi Arabia for instance, America give so much money and food to that country, yet most people hate our guts there. Honestly this new trend of America bashing is so unwarrented.

I don't think the US is giving any money to the Saudi, any proof bout that? or you are maybe confusing SA with another country ;)

I'm not grateful for America as a whole. Because for every good thing they give us, they also give us bad.

I'm am grateful for some of Liberal America. For the music and the good TV/films they give us.

But America has a whole has a habit of violence, of religious fundamentalism, or seeing the world in black and white, and of arrogance...belief that the USA is above everyone else and doesn't have to listen to our opinions.

Field_Marshal said:
Ive always wondered, howcome every time America does anything bad we get our heads bitten clear off? Its almost as if people forget that the world is heavily indebted to America, not just some financially. America does so much for the rest of the world but all we ever get is a spread of anti-americanism and rampant complaints about everything we do. Do you really want us to nitpick and complain about everything you guys do?

Take Suadi Arabia for instance, America give so much money and food to that country, yet most people hate our guts there. Honestly this new trend of America bashing is so unwarrented.

--

Ok Field Marshall what does America do for me?

Other than get my country's troops killed (All be it that's Bliars fault), it spreads the attitude that I'm all right Jack Feck the rest of you.

It is polluting the world at record rates and appears to be doing nothing about it.

Sure I love the simpsons and some of your movies but what else do you to for me or my country that I should be so thankful for?

Regards

Hitti-Litti said:
Oh, I have to change my vote.
I forgot that Simpsons and South Park are American...
:D

Agree. I am gratful for America because of: Woody Allen, Tarantino, Dire Straits, Al Pacino, Coca Cola (yes I do like Coke) and ALL the American girl I dated during their summer trips in Paris ;)

This is very much a timing issue.

And now is not the time.

==

Furthermore, any attempt to solicit gratitude to America should be
imnvho
performed in a classier and much less whiny way than the OP.

Ball Lightning said:
The US have the biggest debt in the world, it isn't that much of the total GNP so a point for you, but US have 'spread democracy' in many countries, most of the time by force.

What nations have we spread democracy to by force? Which nations have we spread democracy to that ANYONE can honestly say wasn't a good thing? Iraq does not count, since it is a work in progress, but I will admit that it looks bad now.

Ingvina Freyr said:
Hear, hear! :hatsoff: "You don't like him anymore? Go get him then! Good luck and take care." The truth always tastes better even than the finest expressed lie.The US government thought that the Iraqis would greet US soldiers with flowers and cheering. :lol: I'm sure that if they would've asked, somebody could have informed them that people don't like to see their country being invaded. ;)

Okay, just so you know, there were some few dozen other nations that went with us believing that things would go down just that way. Some of these nations are much older than us, so apparently they didn't learn those lessons yet, either.

I think the US government could pay more attention to cultural differences. Countries on the other side of the world don't want the US-brand of democracy.

Yeah, the sado-masochistic Islamic world, that's who. Most of the rest of the world loves our style of democracy and have lovingly taken it up, if not for a few key differences.

Italians love Italy, and Germans love Germany etc, but they don't shout about it. Americans do. Where on earth did they/you get the notion that everybody else should love America too? Do you tell your friends about how good you think you are and get surprised when they seem bothered? :lol:

To answer the OP: I don't think people in general dislike the USA, it's just that those who do are being very loud about it.

Well, I don't expect everyone else to love America, and I didn't make this thread. I just know that a lot of people believe that the US has done nothing for this world and they would love to see us suffer. Their feeble minds could not contemplate a world without us.

Ball Lightning said:
Every country has that problem, but America is also high in rates of unemployment and GNP. And the goverment is in a huge dept.
High unemployment? According to this site many European nations have higher unemployment rates than the US does.

United States: 5.00
Canada: 7.00
Belgium: 7.00
Austria: 4.00
France: 8.00
UK: 4.00
Germany: 9.00
Finland: 8.00
Italy: 7.00
Greece: 8.00
Denmark: 5.00
Ireland: 4.00
Iceland: 1.00
Netherlands: 5.00
Luxemburg: 5.00
Portugal: 6.00
Spain: 9.00
Sweden: 4.00
Switzerland: 3.00

http://www.econstats.com/weo/V029.htm

This was one of the first hits Google brought up, so it isn't that hard to research.

I appreciate and consume American pop culture. But Americans don't produce it out of the kindness of their hearts but to make money - that doesn't warrant gratefulness.

I also agree that without America being prepared to make a stand, the Warsaw Pact would have invaded Western Europe in the 60's or 70's, changing my life for the worse. But America didn't do that out of the kindness, but because it suited her national interests. That doesn't warrant gratitude.

Field_Marshal said:
Do you really want us to nitpick and complain about everything you guys do?

Considering 2 out of 5 Americans don't know that big puddle of water on your left is the Pacific Ocean, I doubt you have a clue what's going on in a country with half the population of New York City. But - if you feel like voicing your discontent on the Finnish government, be my guest.

My estime for the USA is getting lower and lower.
But I voted Yes, for the overal achievments, culture, 60s and 70s emancipations.

Panda said:
Get Christ Illusion, the best Slayer CD since Reign In Blood!!!

You know what? I bought Christ Illusion because of your recommendation. I'm thoroughly disappointed. I also bought God Hates Us All at the same time. God Hates Us All is much better, but both God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion are mostly the same. Reign In Blood will probably forever be Slayer's magnum opus. Slayer should try to expand their sound into something new. There are more strings on the guitar than the deepest 3.

Top Bottom