1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you grateful for America?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Field_Marshal, Oct 24, 2006.

?

Are you grateful for America?

Poll closed Jul 19, 2009.
  1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    53.0%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    36.9%
  3. Not sure

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

For all my distaste for much of our recent interactions with France, I actually feel a great deal of gratitude towards not only France but the UK. They gave us our start as a nation and contributed to social, cultural, scientific, etc makeup. The same can be said for many other countries to a lesser degree.

So from this American I give you a heartfelt "Thank you". I remember your contributions to our country every time I see the Statue of Liberty.

2. Tenochtitlan

Tenochtitlan Supreme Commander

I would like to add that the US warmachine needs to go to war constantly to keep it's industry alive and well.

From http://www.zmag.org/zmag/articles/shalomsomalia.html

3. Field_Marshal

Field_Marshal Warlord

:lol: Oh jesus! Ive been gone for a while but I meant to change it to for instead of two. The name of the poll changed but the thread stayed.:lol:
    Ive read some posts and im terribly sorry for not pointing this out but I realized the error in my wording and changed it.:lol:

4. Field_Marshal

Field_Marshal Warlord

Um, the American War Machine(Dont see whats wrong with that term) can keep its knives sharp without going to war.
    Operation Restore Hope was initially a humanitarian mission but it turned into intervention when Somali warlords began harrassing the peacekeepers and they were stealing food from the people.

5. Tenochtitlan

The industry behind it that pushes for war, the plane makers, armor makers, bomb makers...etc, is a multibillion dollar industry that thrives on war. War allows them to get the most funding they can.

6. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

Indeed, there is a much greater demand for the tools of war during an actual war.

7. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Well it is common knowledge America runs off its military to "back it up", but I fail to see how such an instance as Somalia was not a genuine case of humanitarian motives. I am not familiar with some of the earlier examples provided, but Colin Powell stated that:

What is wrong with stating this? Espescially in an era of terror, it is true that having a beefed up military is essential and can make or break a country. To point out an inconsistancy in humanitarian intentions we should be doing it on a case-by-case basis. Sure we will have inconsistant leaders, but I would say that the Somali intervention was humanitarian in its intentions.

8. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I know about the US involvement in the 1948-49 Civil War, and the invasion attempt from 1955, but what the hell happened during 1970-71? We've been pretty much democratic and undisturbed since 1955, no armed forces since 1949.

9. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

That list is very deceptive.

In order the stuff the list with as many things as possible, the author(s) of it included things that had no American (conspiracy theorists) involvment or so little involvement that it hardly qualifies as a "intervention" or what ever they want you to think it was.

Thats why there are no links or information other than a country or year. People see a random country and year just assume something "evil" and terrible happened there and Americans are responsible for it.

10. Tenochtitlan

I'll try to find a credible source, but it has something to do with Jose Figueres becoming president again and his connection with the CIA.

11. Tenochtitlan

Choose a year and a country, and I will try to find you a source.

It's not a matter of good or evil. I don't believe in that. What matters is that this is how many people outside the US view the US. Apparently, they too "never forget".

Again, what I wanted to prove is that you are not hated because they "hate your freedom".

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Era of terror? Terrorism has been around for a while. We are no more living in an 'era of terror' than we are in an 'era of jealousy'

13. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

France 1947
    Fiji 1987
    Coasta Rica 1971

For others I don't need sources. I can look at the list and tell what was an ACTUAL America war and/or intervention and what was diplomatic support or simply a "evil empire" conspiracy theory.

Example of why this list just makes people hate Americans more:
    -A quote from someone in this thread commenting on the list.

A larger, less misleading, and more accurate list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._foreign_interventions_since_1945

14. Ingvina Freyr

Ingvina Freyr wants a Steamfree option

I'm not surprised that people in nations that are closed to the rest of the world consider their country to be the best on earth. They simply don't know anything else. What amazes me is that Americans who can travel freely and interact with their neighbors and also their friends on the other side of the atlantic ocean can stay so indoctrinated.

Regarding liberty and democracy: The possibility to go from poor to rich simply by working hard, to be able to move west and settle new land, the equality under law (no baron, count or duke standing in your way) all helped create "the American dream" and was rather uniqe in the 18th and 19th century. It is not uniqe anymore! Americans talk about "spreading American liberty and democracy", but to whom? It's ignorant at best. The only ones who more or less share cultural values are Canada and Europe, and I'm quite sure that most Canadians and Europeans consider themselves to live in a more free society and in a better democracy than Americans do. It's good that you feel good about yourselves, just don't shout it in your friends ears. ;)

Regarding gratefulness: USA have always acted in it's own interests, wich is understandable, most other countries does so too. It certainly looks as if USA entered the world wars only after they were sure to be on the winning side. The British people fought against the Nazis for six long years. At one point they were alone in Europe against that mighty foe. The Brits and the Soviet union (unfortunately) are the ones who should be credited for bringing the Nazi regime to an end, even if other nations helped. Can you even begin to understand the level of arrogance in comments like "we bailed you out". "Are you grateful to America?" is an arrogant question too, but I'm sure that was not the intention of the OP. :thumbsup:

15. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

Don't think you can buy your respect with foreign aid. I think people look at what has been directly done by Americans (the goverment) more than individual people.

16. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Please explain whatever it was that the US did in Australia in whatever year the list said.

17. Disenfrancised

Disenfrancised Beep Beep

The enormous raw resources, abundence of land and labor probably helped quite a lot as well - would america have done equal well under another "way of doing things", just through its natural advantages?

18. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

I am not afraid to say I like what the USA represents, but I don't like her current choice in ideology/leaders.

Many countries owe much to the USA, but the USA owes everything to other countries.

America was a fine investment for the world.

19. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I am not sure I understand what is being asked of me so I will explain a bit.

I am grateful for being born in a country with so many oppurtunities and so much potential. I am personally dissappointed in a number of things I see our officials doing with the country in many ways seeming to only look after themselves and not everyone. Sometimes strangers of another country more than their own countrymen.

I definatley think that our main drawback is our youth to the world. Along with our sudden gain of wealth and power we obtained upon birth. America broke alot of chains in it's birth not only for themselves but for the world as whole. Born in a time of rulership (dynasties sort of) it sort of changed the world in an indirect way. But here we are breaking the chains with no little to no experience on rulership and you have the former world with loads of experience and chains start breaking over there. I believe most countries still hold an aspect of their former government into their own version of democracy. Then you have some like England that still use the Parliment and monarchy. (Not sure how much of that is just for protocol though)

I think America is a nation with potential flowing out of it and very little of it is being grasped. I am grateful for being born into it and hope to see us grasp some of the potential before it is too late, which we do have a decent amount of time to get on the ball though. It isn't like if we don't hurry up we are going to capsize. But the sooner the better IMO.

20. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Terrorism is more of a threat in this day of age because democracies cannot respond by completely wiping out entire countries where the terror groups are hiding. Terrorism is the weak spot in democracies. Terrorism existed before, but it was easier to respond rather than having to worry about being just and humane in your response.