1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you handy around the house

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rah, Nov 9, 2018.

1. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Simple question. And please state your political party. (since it's easier than listing a whole bunch of other demographics)

I was actually a carpenter when I was younger and the guy that taught me had a favorite saying. "if it's already broken, just how much worse can you make it" that along with "take notes when you take it apart because eventually, you're going to have to put it back together"
    MHRIP have served me well.

So I'm pretty daring when it comes to fixing things. Very rarely to a further break it beyond any repair. I've taken about dryers to replace belts, switches and control electronics. Installed many things around the house

I will admit that youtube is always your friend

I'll do some plumbing, and electrical work. I've poured foundations and done a lot of finishing work. My wife will admit that I'm not a FU in that area.

And Up until a few years ago I was a Republican until Trump came and getting nearer to becoming a burden on society, so now I'm a democrat. ;)

How about you. And if you're a klutz, please describe your worst FU doing repairs.

Mine was replacing a sump pump while under the influence and disconnecting it first on the wrong side of the one way stop valve. Talk about it hitting the fan. :lol: :lol:

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I've made my living with a handyman business, and in a variety of construction trades under various contractors. I also did my share of holding a decrepit submarine together far past its design lifespan and doing a fair amount of car, boat and motorcycle repairs. I'm handy.

And, like Rah, I was a Republican and I'm now a Democrat, though GWBush was enough for me to bail.

Best story at the moment, just because it's current:

We bought this trailer to haul materials to Belize at an auction. Our driver used an old extension cord to hook the brake lights to the tractor, which was sufficient since it was a daytime drive to our yard. I was tasked with repairing the rats nest of wiring under the trailer (might have literally been rats, but however it happened the entire wiring harness had been torn out from where it all came together from the various lights up to where someone had scavenged the pigtail socket.

So I string a seven conductor cable between a new socket and this mess of wires, sort out a bunch of different colors that are all not standard (who wired this thing in the first place?) and get it all hooked up so I'm sure it will work. I plug the pigtail into the trailer and start testing...and nothing works. Like, not only do the trailer lights not come on when I turn the truck lights on, but nothing on the trailer comes on. I had been thinking that if I had a wrong wire hooked up I could just switch them around, but with nothing coming on I'm sort of lost. Try brakes, nothing there either. Turn signals, nada. Just nada all around.

So I figure the only thing that could just kill everything is a ground problem, and I dig into the rats nest under the trailer and track down the ground wires to make sure they really connect. Cut them off and reconnect them to be sure of good contact (good being egotistically defined as 'done myself'). I recheck all my connections all the way back to the pigtail socket that I just installed. All good.

Then I saw that the driver, when he did his little extension cord jury rigging, had unplugged the tractor end of the pigtail. :blush:

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I'm not particularly handy, and I rent so I'm not motivated to fix things around my house nor is it my responsibility. But throughout my life whenever I've needed to fix something I've been able to figure out how to do it by looking on the internet. Generally speaking that's been computer stuff, but occasionally electrical appliances like a fan or some fixture in the house like a door hinge or something.

Oh and I guess I'm a Democrat, since I'm registered as a Democrat.

4. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

My buddy got a dump truck for good price because we needed to haul some pea gravel for footings so he figured it was good time. You can always use a dump truck.
    We drove to the quarry and had it loaded up. Driving back to the job site we come to the first intersection and my buddy comes to the realization that while the brakes were just fine when the truck was empty, adding a few tons of gravel changed the equation. No way was that truck stopping. We almost killed people at the first intersection but by the grace of god and a really loud horn avoided disaster, We slowed to a crawl and limped our way back to the site. When we got there were shaking so hard that we decided to call it a day and head to the bar. In our haste we forget to empty the truck. Frost the next morning and the 2 tons of pea gravel had turned into a solid block. It took us two days, a couple of salamanders and a few pick axes to get it emptied. Ah, the joys of youth.

5. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

I mostly suck, but wind up doing it anyways. I hate electrical work, but can read a multimeter and mess with connections. I need to replace the service in to get away from the universal fuses and asphalt insulation, but I'll either wait till I can hire it done or not do it.

Recently spent a royal amount of time installing crown molding badly. I'm starting to understand why people buy power tools for that sort of thing. If I ever get my way, I'll have a tool bench one of these years. Oh well, it's up and I'm not redoing it! Biggest job I've done on the house was stripping a ruined plaster ceiling and putting up drywall, but I had the help of a handier friend than me. I've yet to ruin a room with piss poor mudding. Soon, soon.

Republican, but I don't know that I've ever voted straight ticket. I don't think I have.

6. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I have a garage full of tools which comes in real handy but as I get older, I find myself doing less and less.

7. civvver

civvver Chieftain

I think I am handy, my wife does not. She doesn't appreciate non aesthetically pleasing but fully functional repair jobs I guess.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Oh your wife would hate my repair jobs. As an example of one of these I did recently, while installing a hard drive in my computer I didn't have any screws that were the right size to keep it in place (it's an SSD so it won't just sit snugly in the trays like the HDDs will) so I took one of those plastic bag tie things, cut it in half, and used them to tie the drive into the tray. You can't actually see it since it's inside the tower but it's bootleg central

9. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

When everything else fails, IMPROVISE. ;)

For my wife, if it doesn't look good when I'm done, she gets a pro, so I have high incentive to do it "PRETTY"

10. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Disable emotion chip

I'm not handy at all. I once tried to repair a hole in the wall. Look up on youtube how to do it. Bought spackle, a wire mesh, the whole 9 yards. The end result was awful. It's supposed to look smooth, flat, and feel like the rest of the wall. Instead it was all bumpy, lumpy, and it flexed when you put pressure on it. However the hole was gone so there was that.

11. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'm real handy at fixing things, but pretty minimal experience with building things or actual renos.

Most recently replaced a speaker in my car that had started making bad noises.

Only thing I've ever tried to repair that has resulted in a total loss was a pressure rice cooker that wasn't holding pressure. Disassembled and reassembled with new packing rings, and for the life of me couldn't figure out the problem. Ended up tossing.

Don't identify with a political party. Have voted Conservative, Liberal, NDP and Green.

12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Favorite moment of the whole job - my dad is holding it to the wall for me, I'm measuring and realize I didn't grab the pencil, grab a nail from my pocket and scuff the line to cut on the wood. Grumble about how I should have grabbed the pencil. Dad helpfully chimes in, "Oh, I wouldn't worry. My dad always marked his cuts with a nail. And he, too, was not a carpenter!"

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I never believed that there were people who just "weren't handy." Then I found myself sailing upwind with my current gf every time something needed to be fixed. She just acts like no one can possibly fix anything and men/husbands that think they can are one of the great plagues inflicted on women. So, sometimes I fight the tide, sometimes I just let her hire someone to do stuff and laugh about the fact that other people hire me to do the same things. It's not like I really enjoy doing free work anyway.

Then I met her parents. Her mom is just like her, and is just ruthless about putting her dad out of the picture when it comes to any repair. I shrug.

So one time her parents were visiting, and I was in the middle of this rebuilding project around some back yard planters. The planters are built, and I have a truckload of dirt dumped in the driveway. I had a brand new wheelbarrow that I hadn't put together yet. I had a plan that when my son and I had finished our pool route we would work on this dirt thing, which was the same process that had gotten the planters built.

The old man wants to help. I don't want him hauling tons of dirt, and I'm thinking he should just spend the day having a good time since gf took time off work just for their visit, but he insists. GF and mom go out for the day, son and I go to work, and I tell him if he really insists on helping he should just put the barrow together so we can start right in moving dirt at the end of the day, then have a beer and catch some TV, or whatever.

Wheelbarrow= wheel, axle assembly, two legs, two handles, cross brace, and barrow body. There's four bolts to hold the axle assembly to the ends of the handles, and four bolts to hold the handles sandwiched between the legs and the barrow body, and two bolts to hold the cross brace to the legs down close to the ground.

We get home for lunch, and he has the handles bolted the wrong way onto the barrow body and is puzzling about how to attach the axle assembly. I suggest turning the handles around, and give son a 'laugh out loud and you will pay' look. When we get home at the end of the day he is just wrapping up the project. GF is mad at me for 'making him work all day.' I came to understand the source of gf's reluctance to let anyone work on stuff.

14. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

I'm a big fan of putting bolts in the wrong way. I'll fix my charcoal grill to close snug one of these years. But then again, I don't like grilling that much.

15. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I spent my 20s renting in bigger cities, so I didn't really have the need, or the space, to develop those skills. But about a year ago, I realized there were some pretty critical life skills I was missing out on. I finally rented an apartment that had a garage, bought some cheaper tools from pawn shops, and started building furniture. I'm still a pretty novice woodworker, but now that I own a house, I have more chances to get better.

I know almost nothing about HVAC systems, plumbing, etc, but I guess now I have to learn! Which is both exciting and scary.

I'm a Dem, if that matters.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  16. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I bought a table a couple of weeks ago, and when it arrived I managed to assemble it with less swearing than when trying to deal with computer issues, so I guess that counts as a success.

I also keep a handy supply of duct tape around and own a glue gun. It's amazing how much stuff you can fix with those. I also learned decades ago that a dime makes a great improvised screwdriver. I can do basic mending with a needle and thread (yay for mandatory home ec. classes in junior high school). I worry less about "pretty" and more about functional.

Not sure what political parties have to do with this, but I vote either NDP or Green.

17. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Dem and renter.

I do not repair anything. If something breaks, it means it was weak, and its breaking is the will of the gods, whom none dare defy.

Either that or I just never was taught the skills and don't have the equipment. I do like the idea of repairing things and being handy, but I'm contractually not allowed to really fix stuff around the apartment and don't have any sewing supplies or skills.

18. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I'm completely useless at absolutely everything and I've never voted.

19. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

When something around the apartment breaks, that's what the maintenance staff is for (plumbers are available 24/7; I had one turn up at 3 am when I was having an emergency). They'll even change the ceiling light bulbs, since ladders aren't safe for me.

20. MaryKB

MaryKB Chieftain

I know how to use a toilet plunger, and I can pick a lock on like my bathroom door. One time earlier this year, I bought a television and a mounting kit and I was able to set it up in my office, and I had to go to Lowes because those screws that came with my kit weren't long enough to attach to my television, but someone was able to help me and I got that to work. I can hang picture frames too, oh and I can put up window screens. Oh and I learned how to fix my car when I needed to reset my fuel cutoff switch after my accident (even if I got rid of my car)

But please don't ask me to do anything else, and I certainly don't know how to build something from scratch. I couldn't fix holes in my wall or repair damaged paint or anything. I need to hire someone for most things, like if I need a window fixed or a ceiling fan repaired or installed or something, and any appliance work I'd never try on my own. A couple months ago I needed a new faucet for my kitchen sink (mine was leaky), and I had to have someone come do that for me.

I absolutely can't stand repair work that's like just functional, it needs to look nice, or what's the point, right?

And I'm fiercely Democrat, lol!