Are you happy with the path Firaxis is taking Civ 5?

Your Opinon

• Like it

Votes: 226 71.5%
  • Hate it

Votes: 21 6.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 61 19.3%
  • Other (please explain why if possible)

Votes: 8 2.5%

• Total voters

Blitzscream

Warlord
Just out of curiosity I wanted to know the public opinion of how people are thinking about it. Do you hate it, like it, don't know etc.

Personally I'm kinda anxious about what Firaxis is doing because they've gotten rid of a lot things I liked in previous games.

Well it's pretty hard to make any sort of judgement from just a few screenshots and some basic reviews. It looks promising but the proof will be in the actual playing of the game.

Voted other. Seems early to judge, but the "impression" I'm getting is more war less Civ.
I no like that.
Simple is also throwing it's shadow over most discussions. If I want simple I'll play bejeweled.

I want Civ, in all its frustrating,complex, "micromanagery" glory... Thank you.

I don't like it because it's different, and I don't like things that are different.

I'm glad that it's not just an expansion pack for Civ4, which is what some people around here seem to want.

I've been wanting hexes since 3 and like that they are trying to solve the problems with the game, such as the slog that is the modern era.

In general, I like it. For me the positives are:

1) Hexes. I always hated squares. I like the fact that cultural borders will expand hex-by-hex and apparently pay some attention to natural obstacles.
2) The probability that armies will be smaller. In CivIV once you're far enough behind in power it significantly increases the chances of a DoW and it gets harder and harder to catch up.
3) The enhanced diplomacy with the small city-states.
4) The multi-level AI which will actually work on goals.

The negatives:
1) Loss of religion. Even if they're putting other mechanisms in place it just doesn't seem realistic to leave it out entirely.
2) Replacing leader traits with civ-specific bonuses. The reason I like the traits is that with two of each there's usually some overlap and it acts as a natural balancing mechanism to some extent. I fear that some civ-specific bonuses will just end up being so overpowered or underpowered that they won't be any fun to play either with or against.

And things I'm withholding judgment on for now:
1) The new combat system. As long as it doesn't involve too much micromanagement, or, heaven forbid, introduction of supply lines, it could be a lot more fun.
2) Loss of espionage. I don't think this BtS mechanic works as well as it could. But I hope it doesn't mean that I have to go back to the pre-BtS days of constantly scouting my rival's territory to get an idea of their military strength. I always felt if the AI were able to take my power rating into account without scouting my territory it's only fair for me to be able to do the same.

Voted other. Seems early to judge, but the "impression" I'm getting is more war less Civ.
I no like that.
Simple is also throwing it's shadow over most discussions. If I want simple I'll play bejeweled.

I want Civ, in all its frustrating,complex, "micromanagery" glory... Thank you.

I'm not getting that vibe at all. It seems as though they are really focusing on making diplomacy more in depth this time.

Other... because i don't have a very solid idea of how the already announced features ( and, obviously the not announced ones ) will bundle together. That can make the whole diference between a good game and a completely wrecked one.

I voted unsure. I was pretty much fine with most of the changes, but...removing religions? Surely that gameplay-wise it was not THAT impacting on Civ IV, but well, Religion played a major role in the international relations of the Middle Ages and much of the Modern Age (at least for Europe), and it is still very influential nowadays. It just doesn't make much sense to pretend that it's not there, it's rather important, I don't see why it was removed.

I agree with r_rolo1 on this one. I personally don't like how all this looks so far, but the picture is not unique, it's more like a puzzle and all the pieces shuffled and you have a cover picture, so you know what is it, but you don't see it.

I just get a feeling that a lot of people here is just excited that there is NEW civilization game coming up. And also cIV raised the bar very high, this game better be awesome! Or else...

I like their civilization and leader choices for the most part but I loath 1 unit per tile. They could have plague randomly break out in between stacked units to decimate a superstack. Feel like stacking the equivalent of 2 million people in 1 tile? Tough luck, half of them died due to disease and horrible living conditions!

I voted yes since I like the sound of many of the changes so far, but I won't really know how much I like it until I actually play the game. It's hard to tell since some of the changes will be quite major and I need to experience them before I can tell for sure if I like them or not.

Very happy. It's like they're restoring some of the better ideas from previous incarnations of the game. Ranged bombardment, one unit per tile (wasn't a hard limit in 1 and 2 but only 1 defender was allowed) etc. The hexes is like a dream come true. The more I hear about it, the more it sounds like the civ that I'd design.

The one unit per tile thing surprised me at first, but the more I think about it, the more I reckon it's a great idea. It'll do what I've always dreamed of civ doing - having true front lines and making the defense of terrain and land important. Finally, the SOD is gone and forts will become important.

I will miss religion. Not entirely sure why they cropped it out. I hated religion when it was first introduced, but it's grown on me. However, I must say it was implemented poorly. Jewish Vikings and Confucian England and all that. But it was a simple fix - it only needed to be made generic, so you have a default style based on your nation but you could rename it and pick and choose the buildings, icons, and units associated with it when it gets founded. It could've been fixed; it didn't need to be scrapped. Oh well ... we can always hope it's brought back in an expansion.

Bringing back ranged bombardment is great. I always missed this one in civ4. The whole idea of suicide artillery was appalling. Who throws waves of artillery against enemy fortifications to be destroyed? Artillery is usually protected, firing from a safe distance, and the only time it is lost, is when there is counterbattery fire, air strikes, or a counterattack that achieves a breakthrough. It is not a shock troop thrown like waves against a rock to wear it down. That's infantry.

One thing that I'm really pleased about is the mature look of the game, from what I've seen in the screenshots. It has a refined and realistic look. I've been playing civ since the start of the franchise, and 2 and 3 were nothing but improvements on the game, but when 4 came along, I protested everything about it. I felt like they were getting rid of good things for no reason (like ranged bombardment) and I absolutely hated the look of the game - the leaders, in particular, looked cartoony and the way units towered over the cities like giants did not appeal to me. There was a certain juvenile feel to the whole thing - at first. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't seem that way anymore, but those were my first impressions, before I'd actually played. Once I actually played it, I started feeling alot different about it - I never play 3 anymore. But the first impressions were bad. I'm not getting that with the previews on this one. It looks great. I've seen one shot of a leaderhead (presumably) and he doesn't look cartoony in the least, it's a very realistic and mature look.

One thing I'm really concerned about, though, is ... what is the franchise doing? It seems to be appealing to a core demographic - people like me, who have been playing for a long time and who initially came to a civ as a computerized (and very light) version of tabletop wargames and strategy games. That is the origin of the franchise, too - Sid himself was apparently quite the wargamer way back when. What I'm concerned about is that it won't resonate with younger players who only came to civ in 3 or 4, and people who don't have a background in the roots out of which it developed (the Avalon Hill type games etc). They're looking for an 'immersive experience', not a strategy game per se. It'll be a great game for me, I just hope they know what they're doing commercially. I wouldn't want to see the franchise fail.

I voted other.

I am about 65% sure I like it but until I actually get to play Civ V I won't have any idea if I do or not.

Mixed opinions at the moment.
  • Hexes: :D
  • Removing Espionage: :mad:
  • Removing Religion: :confused:, maybe some new game facets fill in the gaping hole, maybe not.
  • Ranged Attack: :D
  • Replacing Civics: :confused: depends how the replacement works. It has potential for both greatness and epic fail.
  • 1UPT:

Just out of curiosity I wanted to know the public opinion of how people are thinking about it. Do you hate it, like it, don't know etc.

Personally I'm kinda anxious about what Firaxis is doing because they've gotten rid of a lot things I liked in previous games.

if it means real front lines and no more SOD combat, I'm quite pleased.

Though the 1upt does seem a bit too radical. 2upt-4upt would be just as good.

Mixed opinions at the moment.

I can second almost all of your opinions here. Additionally, I'm neutral on new graphics, and completely unsure on AI - because if there's one thing I want of course it's a better AI, I've said that and hexes alone are worth a new game. But there's no way the vague coverage out there so far actually proves whether the AI and diplomacy will be any good at all or not, so I really have to be unsure until I see things for myself. I don't want to simplify and scale down the game otherwise regarding war/civ management etc...

Generally liked most of the new features in ciV. though still need some infos on the new features; how the new n change in features work, the combat system, how many unit actually we can put on the field/map at any given time, and how actually huge the standard map in ciV. these are infos which makes me whether like the ciV more or on the contrary :goodjob:

Top Bottom