1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you pre-ordering?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 19, 2016.

?

Preorder?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2016.
  1. Yes, I have or will preorder the game.

386 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. No, I'm going to wait and see.

176 vote(s)
    31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

I noticed that the Aztecs are included with preorders. I normally don't preorder games. I prefer to wait until after the initial "shakedown cruise" for bug fixes and gameplay tweaks (and maybe for a sale price). Still, the Civ series is pretty reliable and I've played both of the last two games until I slumped forward onto the keyboard in exhaustion.

Is anyone preordering? Do you normally preorder games or will Civ be an exception? Are you an Aztec fanboy? :lol:

2. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Well to get Aztec you have to sacrifice money;)

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I'll buy the game 1 or 2 days early to get the preorder bonus, yes.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I will preorder sometime in October. I don't see any reason to pony up cash now. It's not like the 90s when there were a limited number of units shipped to your local store.

5. InkyK

InkyK Chieftain

I just trust that the base game will be good (bugs nonwithstanding), so I pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition a while back. The Aztecs are a nice bonus tho.

6. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Not an Aztec fanboy. I'm a CIV fanboy! :clap:
    Preordered the deluxe.

anatolium likes this.
  7. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

I have a special obsidian blade for sacrificing money.

I assume preorders are good right up until the game goes live. I should double-check.

It took me a few minutes to figure out what the Deluxe Edition includes: The game's soundtrack and a "season pass" of the first four DLCs at a discount. It doesn't say how much the discount is or what exactly the DLCs will include, but less is less. With Civ V, I think there were some map packs that I didn't get much use out of, but any new civs are a must-buy for me.

8. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Yeah... I will preorder as well... But not until early October. For one, that is when I'll get my next check from the VA for my school. The next month is going to be tight for me. Besides, like someone said earlier, there is no need to rush with digital downloads. Plus I'd like to see what will be coming in the digital deluxe edition and that info should be available by early October.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

9. civvver

civvver Deity

You don't have to pre order to get the Aztecs:

Pre-Order to receive early access* to the Aztec Civilization Pack!

Leader: Montezuma
    Unique Unit: Eagle Warrior
    Unique Building: Tlachtli
    Wonder: Huey Teocalli

*EXCLUSIVE PRE-ORDER ITEM FOR 90 DAYS, AFTER WHICH THE CONTENT WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO ALL OWNERS OF THE GAME.

If you're going to buy the game at full price anyway why not pre-order? But I am going to wait for a sale. Since it launches in october I don't expect a sale during the winter sale, but summer? I'll bet it's already 25-40% off by summer and half or more by fall winter 2017. I can wait.

10. Magil

Magil Monarch

I will pre-order fairly soon. I could afford it just fine right now but I'd rather wait until I get the large sum of cash I expect to get fairly soon.

As for reasoning, I have no intention of waiting for a sale, as I will want to play well before then (I don't expect a repeat of the "sale immediately after release" debacle, that's the kind of thing that only happens once. If I'm wrong... well I'll be quite surprised). Therefore even if it's a buggy mess at launch it behooves me to pre-order and get the Aztecs right away.

11. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Where's the option for "I will preorder, but not just yet?"

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

That's included in the first option.

13. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

If there's a demo, I'll try it. If not, I'll probably not buy it at all due to how it's shaping so far.

14. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I haven't yet but am planning on it. The only thing that would stop me is if the system requirements come out and I can't run it (on a decent but fairly old machine). Will probably preorder on GMG to get the deluxe edition for the same price as the standard is on Steam.

15. Shafi-is-back

Shafi-is-back Prince

I will pre order in October :)

16. civvver

civvver Deity

ohh a demo would be awesome, did civ5 have one?

I think a big issue for me with not wanting to pay full price is simply time. I play a ton of dota2, watch a lot of tv series and have very limited time for those activites to begin with so I could see myself buying civ6 and playing it a couple hours, then it sits in my library for 6 months untouched. As an example I bought dragon age inqusition for half off around easter 2015. Since that time I have played it maybe 8 hours. In May I signed up for humble bundle monthly cus it included Mad Max, a $60 triple A title less than 9 months old. So I got that plus like 5 other games for $12. I haven't even hit the loading screen on it yet. A friend bought witcher 3 on gog which is drm free and he gave me his logging so I could "borrow" it. Installed it, tweaked the graphics settings for 10 minutes, haven't played a single minute of it.

That's pretty much me and video games right now, I get all OOO Shiney! when the sales are going and then never play them so cannot justify a preorder at all.

17. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Normally I only preorder when I am sure I am going to buy on day 1 despite the reviews. So far it happened only a few times and only with Blizzard games.

After Civ 5 release fiasco I was almost sure I am not buying anything from Firaxis ever again, leave alone preorder. But Jon Shafer is no longer with them, Brave New World improved the game substantially, that kind of restored my believe in Firaxis. And I like what I know about Civ 6 so far. I also miss Civ a lot, I can't bring myself to play Civ 5 for more than an hour before uninstalling again, and Civ 4 while wonderful, feels dated. Chances are I will preorder Civ 6 a few days before release.

Aztecs is actually a motivation for me to not preorder. Artificially locking one civ for a few months for preorders only is just... bad.

18. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

I preordered for two reasons
    One, because I like the mechanics in civ VI
    and two, especially since the leader list was leaked, I have a morbid obsession with crushing philip II as every people ever disenfranchised by the spanish, and I need the aztecs to do that ASAP.

19. Playsoneasy

Playsoneasy Chieftain

Definitely not. I always wait until all of the expansions/DLC have been released, then I'll buy the "game of the year"/"ultimate edition" or whatever. Plus, I may well need to get a new PC (I know spec requirements haven't been released yet, but still).

I made the mistake of pre-ordering Skyrim for the PS3 way back in the day. I got a release day copy with a nice paper map, a load of bugs and constant crashes for my trouble. Never again.

anatolium likes this.
  20. nunor

nunor King

My heart says yes, my mind says wait, my wallet says no.

Wallet always wins. Sorry, Firaxis.

anatolium likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.