Are you sensitive to propaganda?

Are you sensitive to propaganda ?

• Total voters
How would you know if you're sensitive? People suffering from cognitive dissonance rarely know that they are.

As I age I become more cynical and less sucepible.

If it's subtle, I don't know, I might miss it. I'm human.

But generally, if a given piece of information is from the government, I'm less likely to believe it. If the government said that I still had toes on my feet, I would take off my shoes to make sure.

6 years ago, I would have said no and been wrong. If the government says something and it's contested, I try and find out (if I care enough). If the government says that there was 13 CM of snow, I'll believe that :)

God no, whilst I realise that there are some people who believe everything they read and see on TV, or to come from their media. I am the opposite of that. And people who take say Fox News or Sky or whatever always at face value scare me. :crazyeye:

Meaning that you've realised that you often believe what the government tells you, only to find out later that you were given incorrect information ?

You mean like people telling you the US Government injected black men with Syphilis at Tuskegee only to find out that the allegation is completely false?

But to be more specific to your premise - I think part of my reaction would be determined if I knew the government were purposefully lieing in regards to it - or were they merely misinformed?

Not everything has to be a conspiracy. Being in the military - you get 'misinformed' all the time. Like, you wont have to work an extra weekend, but things change and you end up working it anyway. Happens all the time.

Generally speaking, the Norwegian government tries not to speak out too much.

Not usually. I'm usually too cynical to believe people who I suspect are trying to effect the way I think, although I must admit I'm a bit naive when it comes to people who I've mentally categorised as "experts" or something like that. I can be a bit too willing to take slanted facts as unbiased truth...

I trust my own government pretty much, but I'm of course always skeptical to politicians and authorities.
When it comes to other countries, I trust some more than others, and it depends very much.

I trust my own government pretty much, but I'm of course always skeptical to politicians and authorities.
When it comes to other countries, I trust some more than others, and it depends very much.

Trusting...your...government? I understand the concept, but you've lost me there? I think the last time I trusted my government was when I was 8.

Spoiler Wikipedia on Propaganda :
Propaganda is a concerted set of messages aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of large numbers of people. As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense presents information in order to influence its audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented. The desired result is a change of the cognitive narrative of the subject in the target audience to further a political agenda.

I'd say we all are susceptible, to some extent. Even omission of some information can shape impressions. When leaving something out where it would belong, doubting it is much harder.

If I like what I hear, then yes.

The more off-the-wall an uncorroborated statement is, the less likely I am to believe it.

Top Bottom