Are you still playing?

I've only played 4 or 5 games since the last patch, which is my lowest rate of play since release. Lately I've been leveling my Japanese planes in War Thunder.

I didn't play most of the year (not a conscious decision just had other things going on). Unlike most people I've played a lot more since the patch. Having fun.

Until I started reading Civfanatics, I was completely unaware just how terrible this game is!

How stupid of me to have been enjoying it for the past month. What was I thinking?

When I get back to playing it tonight, I will refuse to enjoy it at all. I will grumble through each horrific turn! I will moan about every mouse click that sets production in my cities. I will no longer be lulled into having fun with something that so many others have deemed unworthy!

I've gotten bored of it in mid-late game. I've resurrected Diablo 3 for now (hadn't played that in 3 years!)

Haven't played in months. I'm pretty annoyed that they only seem to have a patch when a DLC is out. Thought about giving it a try a few weeks ago, but read here that the latest patch broke trade.
I think I'm done with Civ 6 for the time being. It's a good game with a few terrible design choices that deprove it of staying power. The agendas in particular make diplomacy -already one of the series' biggest weaknesses- annoying and pointless.
I really hope this gets fixed by the time the first proper expansion comes out.

Still playing. Still love it. Still annoyed by a number of things that could be taken care of in about 5 minutes, but still greatly enjoying it.

I played at launch and through the first several DCL's and patches. I played a single Nubia game at release but haven't picked it back up. I'm just bored with it - rarely finish a game or find a game competitive.

I just finished playing Ashes of the Singularity and purchased the final Starcraft2 expansion. Replaying the entire SC2 campaign right now.

Eagerly awaiting patches/mods/expansions of Civ6 to keep the replay value high, but for right now it just isn't there

I'm still playing. After I do 3 or 4 games, I get a bit bored and either do a scenario or switch to another game (to Anno 1404 at the moment). After some weeks have passed, I do another 3 or 4 games and so on... has been like this since around the beginning of the year.

I love the game. Not the latest bugs. I had a problem of getting bored part way through and almost always won when I finished. So what I did was increase the difficulty and lower the size of map.

So from Emperor Standard maps to Immortal small maps.

Now I am engrossed on winning the different victories suited to the civ I am playing. I have been checking my steam achievements of which civilization I have not won with yet and trying for a victory with their strengths.

I like the game. Despite the sarcasm laden rant earlier (and I do hope the sarcasm dripped obnoxiously) I am really enjoying various playthroughs of this game.

Now I am engrossed on winning the different victories suited to the civ I am playing. I have been checking my steam achievements of which civilization I have not won with yet and trying for a victory with their strengths.

I must agree 100% with the above. There are a very many ways of skinning this cat and valamas gives an excellent example.

Are there bugs? Sure! Not enough to ruin playability for me. The game offers a number of dimensions to explore and even where the game does not quite satisfy my own personal tastes it still does a fine job of keeping me involved.

On the other hand, perhaps I am like a child who has only ever tasted vanilla ice cream. He has no idea what he is missing in the increasingly expansive world of ice cream flavors, but that in no way diminishes his enjoyment of vanilla.

I play a lot of stuff and plan for more too. I do find time for this game since cqui came on again.

Personally I was just getting the achievements for winning as a certain civ. Mostly on prince to sample every civ. Now that is done with I just start a new game when I get a new idea.

The annoying thing is that the difficulty spikes depending on situation. A king game without Kongo , Greece, Germany , or Sumeria is often easier than a prince game with them. Barb horse archers also push me to abandon the game if city states are lacking. Some ais just never go anywhere and have 50 science in 1700 regardless.

Finally, Arabia seems to have caught my attention lately. Just a nice flexible style without being ridiculous and having religion without having to cripple yourself .

Last edited:
I haven't been playing recently, but I wouldn't blame the most recent patch (I haven't played since before it was out). I tend to play one game at a time, and currently Divinity Original Sin is occupying my attention until I finish it. And I'm traveling 4 out of 5 weekends, so it's really like an hour or two in the evenings for my current gaming pace. Once winter hits and I'm home a lot more, I expect to be playing again.

Not much. Actually, I'm waiting for the SE Asian DLC to come. I play EU4 or some other games instead. Sometimes it's Civ V, sometimes it's War Thunder...

I've only played 4 or 5 games since the last patch, which is my lowest rate of play since release. Lately I've been leveling my Japanese planes in War Thunder.
German planes here ;-)

The playtime shown on my steam page is ludicrous, but I've not even started playing it yet :D

I mean, you know how it goes if you're a modder: just one more little thing to mod then finally starting a real game...

and 3 turns later, back to notepad++ to edit that last minor tweak before starting the *true* real game...

I've tried playing again here and there, but it's......just too boring. There are too many pitiful little decisions to make in the game, and what should be a couple of empty turns prepping for something to actually happen instead become 20 minutes of pure tedium. And higher difficulties don't change this - they don't feel so much like a challenge as beating my head against the wall. And the "lore" aspect of this game is a disaster. The characters simultaneously lack personality (due to Firaxis overall skimping on voice acted lines and backgrounds) and come off as unfunny morons (due to the art choices and the desire for dad-joke style "big" personalities). I don't see Elizabeth in this game and thing "IT'S THAT JERK!" I see Victoria and think "God, now I have to listen to 'Scarborough Faire' for the rest of the game." It also doesn't help that interacting with the AI on the trading and diplomacy screen is an abysmal chore.

There are inherent flaws in this game that really drive away fun. There's good in Civ6, certainly, but I'm left wondering if the fundamental decisions made about the game essentially mean that - even with future expansions - this game may just never be attractive to a player like me. It's really too bad.

I've stopped playing, playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 right now.

But even before that game came out, I wasn't really playing much after the Summer patch. Honestly, I think the summer patch ruined the game for me. The Spring patch was best, and the bulk of my 600 hours + playtime came from the Spring patch which I very much enjoyed.

I'm sure to revisit the game some time in the future. It's still my go to drinking game. It's not a game that requires reflexes of any kind, and I can put itunes on in the background, and just enjoy some good music, good brew, and curb stomping Gandhi.

edit: I'm actually 700 + hours, not 600 +. 716 to be exact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom