1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you sure you want to like this post?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Valka D'Ur, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Seriously, what is with this extra step that we didn't used to have to put up with?

Yes, I want to like the post I just liked. It was a good post, amusing, witty, and made a good observation concerning modern manners regarding spoken languages.

So why is the board asking me if I'm sure I want to like it? I wouldn't have hit "Like" if I didn't like it or want to like it.

What are the consequences of mistakenly liking a post? Will my computer blow up? Will my files be erased? Is this one of those dumb XenForo features somebody from the admin staff accidentally (or on purpose) enabled? This is the second time it's happened when I've "liked" a post (not consecutive likes, however; I've "liked" numerous posts in between, with no issues).

I don't like this. Seriously, it's annoying. :huh:

BvBPL, Undefeatable and stfoskey12 like this.
  2. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

I've never been prompted to confirm a 'like'. Where is this happening?

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

Strange - not come across this behaviour myself, does it happen if you use a different browser?

4. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

I don't think there even is an option for this, and I can't see anything has changed.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  5. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Was it the "like" link at the bottom right of the post, or what it a Facebook like button?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. Valka D'Ur

In OT. This is the post I "liked." I promptly got a question from the board, asking "Are you sure you want to like this post?" and there were buttons for "yes" and "no." Of course I hit "yes" and the like went through.

As I said, this isn't the first time this has happened. The "are you sure" message was on a screen just like the normal forum background I use (Dark CFC).

I'm using Firefox, on an XP computer. I haven't tried any other browsers (not going to, either; I hate Chrome and IE and will not subject my computer to either of them).

It was at the bottom right of the post. I have disabled the Facebook widget because I want nothing to do with Facebook and would prefer that none of my posts or images appear there (if I can help it; of course I can't prevent anyone else from sharing what I post).

7. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

I wonder if it might perhaps be a sort of built-in 'like' flood control. :think: I like several posts per day but usually spaced out over 12~ hours. Could it be triggered with multiple likes in a short period of time?

8. Valka D'Ur

If we could track the "likes" I give out, we'd discover that I don't give out very many in a single day, and sometimes not even very many in a whole week. So no, I wasn't on a "like" spree when this happened.

If it happens again I'll try to remember to take a screen shot.

9. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

10. Valka D'Ur

I don't recall if the page was loading at the time I clicked "like" and I can't update JavaScript on this computer (it keeps telling me to upgrade to a higher version of Windows, which I don't plan on doing; I bought this computer specifically so I could play Civ II without all the workarounds necessary for later computers).

I'll pay more attention the next time I decide to "like" a post and see what happens. I guess the implied solution is to make sure the page has settled down before clicking "like" but I have no idea how to tell about JavaScript initializing.

I can't tell what the attached image says in the OP there, as I'm not a member of that forum. I'm guessing it's the same thing I saw here, albeit in the colors of the skin I'm using.

Thank you, Petek. I'm not sure I understand all of this, but basically I should just slow down? Or maybe it's just my computer; it's slow and Firefox keeps acting up.

11. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

Yes, just make sure that the page finishes loading before you "like" it. If the page is still loading you should see a wait clock. Don't be concerned about javascript.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Works fine for me.