Votes: 38 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I don't understand

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Don't Know, Don't Care, or Other

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
Looking at the 3rd Reich is easy from the comfort of the 21st century. The 1930's in Germany was different...

Being herioc and 'shooting some Waffen SS in the back' is a mite
harder when faced with your family being strung up like meat in retribution...

There used to be a little Czech town called Lidice.
Not just the partisan suffers for high-minded ideals...Never forget!

Anyway.
If faced with the option of dying for an America ran by a system
he opposed, Rmsharpe would mostly likely vanish in a puff of logic!

Or turn into a pumpkin!
:lol:

Originally posted by MrPresident
Currently all the major political parties are the same faceless politicans separate from their electorate in an undemocratic land with nothing original to say. We British are not apathetic, we just want something worth voting for.

This was my point. The catch 22 is that when we don't vote the politicians just shrug and say "They don't care, lets carry on as we are." Let's face it, they're doing their jobs for themselves and their interests, not ours. Somehow the message needs to get across that we are not just satisfied with the politicians, but with the system that allows politicians to be these faceless, distanced entities.

However the first thing beuracracy does is block as many avenues of comlaint as it can.
I was recently selected at random to fill in a government questionairre about the NHS. The questions were crafted so carefully that if you expressed dissatisfaction, then this would be directed not at the system but, personally, onto the GP, nurse, or doctor. However, if you expressed satisfaction, this would not only be attributed to the medical practitioner, but also to the system. This made objective criticism of the NHS system very difficult.

Hence, when the results are published later this year, Blair will announce that the NHS is succeeding.

The only way to protest is through demonstration - which is rarely taken to be an 'official' statement of opinion, but rather is denounced as the actions of an extremist minority. Both the teachers and police suffered this, this week. Yet all official means for teachers to complain about the system are either blocked, or practically ignored (3 members of my family are, or were teachers).

Okay, this may not be totaly on line with the thread's topic, but I just wanted to reply to Mr President's post.

Thanks for bearing with me!

On the subject of fighting for a cause, let's face it, times have changed since the days of revolutionism and protest.
I read in the paper today about the EU summit in Barcelona. Anti globalisation protesters are to be met by police armed with live ammunition as well as conventional riot guns. This is due not only to the hardcore (minority) of protestors, but to suggested fears of an Al-Qaeda attack. Okay, the fear is real, I don't deny this, but how long before all large scale demonstrations are seen to be potential gatherings of terrorists? Soon people protesting their causes like this may regard potential death as normal. And will there ever be such a thing as a truely peaceful protest, one that actually means something?

The only way to protest is through demonstration
This is the wrong attitude to have. Sure demonstration is a means of protest but it simply doesn't work unless the numbers involved are completely overwhelming (which no recent protest has come close too). If you want to protest the best option is to start your own political party and put up MPs, it only cost £5,000 (I think) and you get this back if you get enough votes. If you don't want to do this then join the local Labour/Tory/Lib Dem party and have a hand in choosing your local candiate. The only reason the government is getting away with what it is doing is because people like you and me are not prepared to do anything about it. Also I agree about the teachers and other public employees having no means of offical protest. The only thing that can do is quit and they have been doing that in droves.

On the subject of the thread. Anti-Globalisation protests are not fighting for a cause but just fighting. What good was do by the battles in Seattle etc. Nothing. There can be no peaceful protest when the protesters are prepared, and already planned, to use violence. To die for your beliefs you need three things. Number one, a strong belief, strong enough to be prepared to accept death. Number two, someone threatening your beliefs. Number three, someone prepared to kill you if you don't change your beliefs.

If your beliefs aren't worth dying for, they're not worth having.

I hope I never have to face a firing squad for mine. Fortunately, I had the good luck to be born in a country where the likliehood of having to face that possibility is vanishingly small.

Originally posted by FearlessLeader2
I hope I never have to face a firing squad for mine. Fortunately, I had the good luck to be born in a country where the likliehood of having to face that possibility is vanishingly small.

Well, you could always go to Utah, and ask nicely like Gary Gilmore did:p ;) :lol:

"I hope I never have to face a firing squad for mine. Fortunately, I had the good luck to be born in a country where the likliehood of having to face that possibility is vanishingly small. "

So being a black gansta-rapper or a rocker long-hair in the US
Southern belt won't end you up in a front of a firing squad,
but I hear a getting a beating and flung into a jail cell is a distinct possiblity...:rolleyes:

Having principles is OK, but they should be interchangable.
For extra survival...

Good thing I live in NY, huh?

Tupac was shot by his fellow (his words) 'niggaz'.
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Tupac Shakur, the rapper whose raw lyrics drew on the rage of a coarse urban existence and seemed a blueprint of his own violent life, died Friday from wounds suffered in a drive-by shooting.

Source

Originally posted by rmsharpe
I know he was gunned down, as is the typical death of all rap artists.
Strange remark.Sniff sniff, I smell a generalisation being made here.

Most rap artists are quite young and won't die of natural causes so it leaves only a few options: an accident, being shot or taking an overdose.
In the fifties artist were dieing from (airplane)accidents.
In the sixties and onwards artists were dieing from overdose.
Now some artists have died from shootings, what's your point?

This is simply not true. There were more votes but whether or not more people voted is something that is not known. Anyway, who cares about who voted for Pop Idol and who voted in the last general election. Unless you suggest that politics is turned into an entertainment show for the purpose of churning out yet another manufactured pop figure so that they can sing (badly) cover songs that everyone already knows and has bought so that some enormous record label can grind enough more money from the misguided music-buying public, then I don't see the point in the comparison. People only vote in large numbers when there is something to vote for. Currently all the major political parties are the same faceless politicans separate from their electorate in an undemocratic land with nothing original to say. We British are not apathetic, we just want something worth voting for.

Why not put all the M.P.s in the House of Commons at election time and each week, we vote some M.P.s out? The person left at the end gets to be Prime Minister. :lol:

Originally posted by FearlessLeader2
If your beliefs aren't worth dying for, they're not worth having.
That is paraphrasing a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. and sums up my feeling exactly.
Too many people have been victims of an unwillingness to take a stand.

Top Bottom