1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Arete Ball

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by civplayah, May 2, 2008.

1. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Hmmm, I wanted to create a sport, but all the good ones are taken. So, I thought I would come up with my own sport!:eek: Introducing:

ARETE BALL!

I think I should start off by explaining how Arete Ball is played.

The object is to hit a square cube into a net. Now, you may be thinking, "Pfft, that's easy!" Of course it's not! You have to hurl it into the air just right so it can fall into the net that is hoisted above the ground by huge cables. To hit the Arete Ball, you must use a cross between a baseball bat and a cricket wicket. Sort of like a wooden plank, except more stable.
    Each round has six sections, called sixths. Each sixth has 5 minutes.
    The nets are about 15 feet off the ground.

Now on to scoring.
    Unlike other sports, style points, or SPs, as I will refer to them as. Style points will be given by either a fake person that I control, or an excellent role player who can analyze the events of the round and come up with a witty judge's comment. Only the most stylish team will be given SPs.

You might be sort of confused, but I have come up with a practice round that might be simple to understand.

Let's say that kwarriorpoet, DaveShack, AluminumKnight, and Diamondeye are playing this round. There doesn't always have to be four people, but I'll use four for the example sixth. Here's what a typical sixth would sound like:

And the contestants are off! I can tell that this is going to be a good one and- OH! Beautiful move by AluminumKnight, landing his cube in the net and one point is racked up on his side! What's this? kwarriorpoet is going to try to knock the cube out of AluminumKnight's net! (Yes, you can do that!) kwarriorpoet launches the cube, and right after it touches AluminunKnight's cube, kwarrior's decides it wants to stay in there! That's two for AlKnight, none for kwarrior, and, unnoticed by all the tension is DaveShack, landing one in his own net. And Diamondeye, who apparently did not catch the rules, has decided to hit the other players with his cubes, and scratches DaveShack's arm. That's the rest of the sixth unplayable time. Kind of reminds me of a young boy's time out! Of course, with only 15 seconds left, it doesn't really matter. And here we go, 5,4,3,2,1 BEEP! Fantastic! We have AlKnight at 2, in the lead, DaveShack and kwarriorpoet at 1, and Diamondeye hoping to catch up in the next sixth; he's at nada. Now let's hear from one of our SP judges, civplayah!

Style Points go to AlKnight for that "beautiful move" at the beginning. So that puts AlKnight at three, but because Style Points increase with the sixths (i.e. 2nd sixth, two SPs, and so on) anything could happen.

To join the league, you have to clarify a couple things. First, give me your strategy. This could be anything, "prevent other people from scoring," "simply score;" you can switch these at any time, but I would perfer you PM them to me, for suspense.

Now for your skills:
    Divide 20 points, maximum ten per skill.

Ability to put strategies in action
    Strength
    Jumping Ability
    Accuracy
    Knock-off ability

Happy Arete Balling!

2. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Hoohoo, sounds fun even though I was mocked in the example... I'll join:
    Strength: 3
    Jumping Ability: 2
    Accuracy: 8
    Knock-off ability: 3
    Ability: 4

3. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

I'm in!

Strength: 2
    Jumping Ability:3
    Accuracy:9
    Knock-off ability:3
    Ability: 3

4. blastoidstalker

blastoidstalker The Geographer

I will play.

Is ability to put stratigies in action an attribute if so then

Ability 3
    Strength 3
    Jump 6
    Accuracy 7
    Knock Off 1

If not then

Strength 4
    Jump 6
    Accuracy 8
    Knock Off 2

5. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Blastiod, thank you. I put the "strategy" ability up there too. Yes, you get to choose a strategy, but since you can change it, you need to use that as a skill. Vandal and Diamoneye, please reset your point dividing.

And, for a briefing, once we have four sign-ups, we'll get the first match underway!

6. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Sign me up!

Ability 5
    Strength 4
    Jump 4
    Accuracy 4
    Knock Off 3

7. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Welcome, Joe! Now, Vandal and Diamondeye, once you reset you points, we can start. SO HURRY UP!:)

8. blastoidstalker

blastoidstalker The Geographer

Diamond eye has done so, he edited his post

9. Diamondeye

Smart Blastoid :)

10. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

I too have edited my post:)

11. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Cool! Alright, I will kick up the random number generater by tomorrow.

But first, winning calls for a plan. What are the four contestant's strategies?
    I just want to point out to any possible lurkers that this is not a tournament. We may hold some tourneys, but it's never too late to join!

12. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

All out attack, never fails! :)

13. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Sign me up!

Ability to put strategies in action = 4
    Strength = 6
    Jumping Ability = 2
    Accuracy = 6
    Knock-off ability = 2

14. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Gotcha in! No more people can join this game, though. You can still sign up for the league, but you will not participate in this game.

15. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

I just want to remind you that I need your strategies! I already have kwarriorpoet's and Joe's, but Diamondeye's, Vandal's and Blastoid's I don't have. Please hurry up, because I wish to start this weekend.

16. Diamondeye

Strategy would be to play safe and utilize my high precision as much as possible. Avoid injuries or close contact if possible.

17. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Hey, guys. Sorry about the delay. I've made a complicated RNG and hopefully I can do some more today. Hang in there!

18. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Here we go!

Welcome to the fist game of Arete Ball. I'm civplayah, your announcer. The excitement is just getting started as the audience cheers. The players are getting warmed up, and there have been a couple of failed attempts. Here comes blastoidstalker... and the score! Nice one! And here he goes again, after one minute, with two left. Vandal Warlord counters with a score of his own, and blastoidstalker gets another one, using an indescribable jumping-shooting technique! Despite Vandal being taller than him, he did it, using his nice legs! Up comes Vandal, feeling that blastoidstalker is too much of a threat. Here comes the knock-off... unsuccessful! Into blastoid's goal, leaving him with three, thirty seconds left. Vandal manages to kick out another point, and what's Joe doing? Oh, trying to knock-off! Unsuccessful, and into Vandal's goal!

10, 9- The audience is counting down! Here we go!- 3, 2, 1, BEEP!

Now for style points!

"Points go to blastoidstalker for that nice jumping-shooting technique."

Now for the scoreboard!

blastoidstalker-4
    Vandal Warlord-3
    Joe Harker-0
    kwarriorpoet-0
    Diamondeye-0

19. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Before I do the second sixth, I would like to notify you that if you have any questions about how the sixth turned out, or if you want to change your strategy, just PM me!

20. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Wow...looks like I really just need to score!!!!