Argentina - England

duke o' york

It don't mean a thing....
I haven't included a score in the title to this thread because it's only half time, but Beckham's penalty puts England 1-0 ahead as the teams leave the field! :D
I say thank you to Pierluigi Collina - scoffed at by others in the favourite player thread. :p
I wish that we were allowed a telly at work. :( The woman who sits beside me has got a pocket TV but the screen's about the size of two postage stamps and you can't make out which player is which. Apparently my firm hasn't got a TV licence. :(
Enjoy the 2nd half everyone who is so addicted to this site that they have rushed away from the TV to come here and make daft posts like this one! :D

This is the thread for serious discussion and analysis of the two teams' performances - to make posts mostly consisting of smilies then go to Dell's thread. ;)

What a game so far! I even woke up a bit early to watch it :)
Halftime might be over soon. I hope it ends up 3 or 4 -0 That would be nice :D

Beckham will rot in hell for this! His hair will singe as he is lowered to the fiery depths!

R.III

I support England and most of the people I know around here support England. I'm glad they held on. Geez it looked close a couple of times. England 1 Argentina 0 :)

It was a great result. Until the last 20 minutes England completely dominated the game and were so unlucky not to get a second goal.

Originally posted by Dell19
It was a great result. Until the last 20 minutes England completely dominated the game and were so unlucky not to get a second goal.

??? What a crock. "So unlucky?" They were lucky to get the first, and were shooting no better than the Argies when the opportunities presented themselves.

England won because Argentina blends a dollop of skill with a few moments of undisciplined play, and guess what won it - a penalty kick given to England by the latter. England and Argentina were evenly matched for the first half, and then we all saw firsthand who was the weaker team when England sat cornered around its own goal like a bunch of terrorized lemmings for virtually all of the second half.

Subtract Sinclair from the mix, knock out the penalty, and then compare what's left to the Nigerians, and I'd give the nod to the Nigerians.

R.III

Take away the last twenty minutes and England were the better team...Owen had about 2 good chances to score and there were several other chances to score as well so there :p

Did u see that great change by Sheringham in the second half? There wsa 17! yes 17! passes in the build up! Hard to belive it was England playing :p . GREAT GAME WOOHOO!!!:crazyeye:

Richard III I don't think football analysis is really your field...

A terrific result for England and evidence that the team has alot of vigour that was evidently missing in that first game against Sweden.

I say 2 - 0 against Nigeria!

Keep it real guys. England were slightly better than a catastrophic Argentinian team, but not more. If you combine this match and the Sweden match there's no reason to think England would be better than any other of the favourites.
Which is the cool thing about this World Cup.

Kublai_Khan, Ezeykel never show your shameful faces on this thread!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH AH A ad infinitum! (Chokes to death)

Attachments

• beckham flies.jpg
    beckham flies.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 146
Well put Hitro.

They were grossly equal in the first half, and Argentina dominated the second. Now that my rage has subsided, I will concede that they didn't dominate the second enough to score (!) but that doesn't take away from the fact that suggesting this was some sort of triumph of Anglo skill, limited only by bad luck, is a bit silly. They won because of decent luck, and little more. Without that luck, it would probably have been tied, the way they were playing.

I'm at a loss as to how Owen having a few good chances to score is any different from Argentina creating just as many, if not more chances.

Yes, as Hitro said, "Get real." And he, unlike the rest of us, has the benefit of being a neutral observer. :D

(And Kitten, I've been watching WCups since you were in diapers, so kitten up)

Originally posted by andycapp
Good game. England had chances early in the second half to make it 2-0 and then withstood pressure on their goal for the last twenty minutes.

Congrats to the Poms! :goodjob:

So, you do understand something of one of the most important sports in the world.;) ;)

I thought you had only interest in cricket, rugby and australian football.

Your post in this thread was a great surprise for me.

BTW : A few years ago I have seen a few games of australian football on TV, and allthough I don't know much about this game, I admit it's quite spectacular and exciting.

Top Bottom