1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Argentina III: Argentina is Missing!

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by NinjaCow64, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Red_Spy

Red_Spy Surprised

I didn't have the credentials to.

2. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Rather than consider it "crap" while getting defensive, I think it would be better to evaluate why most people here are not taking too kindly to it. Take an Occam's Razor approach to this - if an almost-unanimous group questions a behavior, it's likely something is inappropriate about it, rather than everyone being sensitive. Here, let me try something that might help understanding:

I recall that you dislike being called the original name you joined this forum under. And indeed, most of us will respect that and call you GenMarshall. But imagine, if you will, if all of us collectively opted to not honor your wishes, and then we just called you oversensitive, no fun, etc. when you were upset by it. That invalidation, if I may hazard a guess, would not be something you would enjoy.

tl;dr it's 2020, there's lots of humor out there in the world, you don't need to punch down to have a laugh.

Bringing this back to IOT: this subforum is a community at the end of the day. If we value our fellow players, we will try our best to respect them and offer what comfort we can. That's not to say we'll always get along (lol), but there are just some lines we should not cross; humor at the expense of a group (especially when salient to current events) typically will be crossing a line. Having a healthy interpersonal experience is key to having a healthy gaming experience.

Now, about that furry takeover of New England...

Oh God the map got worse. The top 25 by attendance furcons in the US, reimagined as empires and being allotted US House districts based on their proportion of the total attendance.

Terran Empress likes this.
  3. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

This is kind of a really neat map, actually. Why does southern Ohio have its own furcon? Why is the Colorado River in Texas the demarcating line for two different furcons? Why is the deep south's borders so stubborn?!

Terran Empress and Tani Coyote like this.
  4. Tani Coyote

Once it became apparent almost any city can have one with enough dedication (and a decent chunk of money lol), the rest was history.

Mostly me trying to create aesthetically-pleasing borders best I can when half the US' politicians have salamanders for fursonas. :p

5. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

gdi tyo you had one job

6. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Ohhh now I see what you did. Well that's cool. I was thinking this was a map where the colored districts attend the corresponding furcon in the greatest proportions, and thinking to myself "It's *nuts* how this follows state lines." TBH I wouldn't be surprised if it did but this is still a neat map illustrating the attendance rates.

Tani Coyote likes this.
  7. Tani Coyote

Well now that you mention it, that would be an exciting side project...

Just no idea where I'd get the data from :lol:

... well I guess I could actually ask the conventions themselves for the anonymized attendee information but I gotta be like, super serious scientist with funding grants and everything to do that probably.

Crezth likes this.
  8. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

10 degrees left of center in good times, 50 degrees right of center when it affects me personally

Terran Empress and gay_Aleks like this.
  9. Tani Coyote

Well after going Twitter thread reading for a bit (RIP my productivity), I have concluded that the next IOT should, in fact, be based around witchcraft so players are capable of hexing the Moon.

10. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

I like witchcraft. I might do this.

Terran Empress and Tani Coyote like this.
  11. Red_Spy

Red_Spy Surprised

All your games are already about witchcraft though.

12. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Shush you

Tani Coyote likes this.
  13. Tani Coyote

Yeah but it's not a party until the baby witches hex the Moon, guys

Crezth likes this.
  14. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I would like to give an sincere apology to the entirety of the IOT community for my actions for the past years or so. I was immersed so much with the anti-SJW movement since Gamergate that it made me pig headed and absolutely refuse to and remain defiant anything that presented from the left. Looking back in hindsight, I felt very insecure about my place in the world and bought into the narrative of leftism and progressivism is bad. I've taken a hard look at my views I've accumulated through out my journey into the rabbit hole, and came to realize, in a disturbing reality, that they're infact toxic.

As for the deportation meme, I did not realized that it was an offensive piece and I have quickly taken it down. I'm going to admit that posting that was a knee-jerk reaction on my part and the current events did not cross my mind.

I have a hard long thought about this and I have deleted my original post because I found that it was not in actually constructive and in actually, divisive. I guess I can accept your point about your example and did not think of it that way.

Yeah about that...just leave the humans and elves alone and we'll be fine.

Tani Coyote likes this.
  15. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

"You tryin' to get invited to my next barbecue?"

We will update you on the situation.

Input Aile's usual request for a map of the Moon.

Tani Coyote likes this.
  16. GenMarshall

I wonder how many BBQs you've been having :hmm:.

17. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Is the orange con in upstate NY supposed to be Albany? I wasn't aware we even had a furcon.

Terran Empress likes this.
  18. GenMarshall

To be honest, I didint know they still had furcons happening. I mostly presume they mingle in with larger cons like DragonCon or ComicCon.

19. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

From my understanding furcons are a pretty big thing still (although not this year due to Covid19).

Tani Coyote likes this.
  20. Tani Coyote

That would actually be Furpocalypse, the Halloween-themed con in Stamford, Connecticut.

Oh furcons are a very big thing. There are dozens of them all over the world, though the US tends to have the larger ones. We're nowhere near as big in attendance as AX or anything, but the largest furcon gets 11,000 attendees.

You actually have the causal direction backwards: traditionally, furcons were tracks at various sci-fi conventions. As time went on, we got big enough we started doing our own events, and newer conventions go straight to being their own thing rather than latching onto a current one.

I think there's just this sense that we're distinct enough as a subculture to warrant holding separate events (I'm not sure how many other geek fandoms are like, ~60% LGBT+ for example), though a lot of furs of course also go to the other geek events.