Argentina III: Argentina is Missing!

I've always liked you, Reus; you put abundant thought into everything you do, you're also a talented artist, and why you scrubbed your dA I will never understand. (PS if you can shoot me the complete inventory of IOT cartoons, I would be most appreciative.) I'm gonna miss you, no ifs ands or buts.

I checked in too late for the game proper and I've only skimmed the details, but you're right: this is not an apology, and it is frankly deplorable that you've chosen to burn your bridges in such a disingenuous way.

I've been here virtually since the start; I've seen IOT's 'problem elements' evolve in real-time; in many instances I sympathize with the critics. The cancellation of IOT24 had nothing to do with that, and to conflate an in-game dispute falling within the bounds of a game moderator's basic responsibilities with longstanding grievances against chat culture in what reads, frankly, as self-serving muckraking, is not the behaviour I expected from you.

As I've said to certain other colleagues in certain other collaborative projects, if it's all stressing you out, it is your right to take leave for the sake of your sanity. But it is not your right to douse everyone in petrol on your way out the door.

I'm sorry that it's taken me over two months to post it, but this is the proper picture for this thread:

(From this video, at about 1:35 onwards)

also, that really is Leonardo Sbaraglia and he really was/is that handsome

Oh my God! Speaking in a Spanish accent, too! How many years ago was this? What is this?

Watch the video, it's a humour show that is still rerun every Thursday. There's a lot of in-jokes that need insider knowledge but they still stand, sadly.

The joke/framing device is that in the year 2492 a German expedition set out to find a missing country that had once been known as ‘Argentina’ (hence the hole in the map) and they managed to find archæological evidence in the form of the various clips from Tato Bores' career that follow each one of the short introductions that were recorded in the 1990s for the programme.
Lots of Yiddish humour of the bext kind.

But the Spanish accent! I had never once heard him like that. This is a revelation.

when were you when discord dies

i was sat at home memeing about bisexual us politicians when red ring

"discord is kill"

"no"

(Memes aside Discord is down everyone).

Interesting. I was chatting there the whole time.

I never noticed it either, and I've been on for 6-7 hours.

I was debating whether to get out of bed or just bask in my warm cottony coccoon of half-sleepiness.

Hey, I've been without power for almost 24 hours and it doesnt seem to be coming back anytime soon. I think a tornado hit the area? Its hard to get news since my phone is busted. I went to the library just to type this message.

Beyond just wanting everyone to know I'm fine, can someone relay this message to both Buttery and Desu for me? I wanted to talk to both via discord but I cant log into discord on the library computer because new login demanding I check my email, and google demanding I do 2FA despite not currently having a cell phone. Just want Buttery to know I'm safe, and to tell Desu why i'm probably not going to be able to do WoM today (unless the power gets back soon).

Going to be leaving the library after typing this. If this goes through the weekend, I'm probably not going to be able to do my orders either.

^I just reposted that on Discord.

I'm leaving IOT.

This isn't the fault of any one particular person, or one particular action. This is something I have been mulling over for months, if not years, at this point. I just believe I am at the point where my own ethos and values simply clash too much with the community for me to remain comfortable remaining on these servers. I want to stress that this is no one's fault; just like I won't let other people comprmise who I want to be as a person, I have to learn and accept that you guys are entitled to be the people you want to be. People just drift apart after ten years, and its no one's fault that people just drifted.

I still think you guys, individually, are some of the coolest people I ever got to know, and you helped me when my own family basically all but disowned me. I can not thank you enough for the emotional love and support some of you people have given me over the years. I want to in particular thank Ninjacow for being the one to help me accept myself being trans; that was possibly the most important conversation I had in my life, and I needed that external push to finally try to start fixing my own problems.

But, I just don't feel comfortable being on IOT anymore. The familial bond I felt with the users on the chat simply isn't the same anymore. I do not get the same enjoyment talking to people as I used to. The current chat culture, to me, is just not healthy nor condusive to my own well-being. Again, I still like you guys on a personal level, and my DMs are more than open if people want to talk to me on discord, but I need to do it on a medium that isn't iot, for my own sanity. For those in it, I'm also going to remain in EQ's Fallout game, because I feel the issues I have with IOTchat have not shown themselves on that server, and I don't feel uncomfortable being on it.

Thank you for the decade plus of community you guys gave me. I will never forget. And perhaps, sometime in the future, I may come back. This doesn't have to be a final goodbye. But it is a goodbye, for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for playing with us and if you ever decide to return, know that you are most welcome. Take care of yourself.
I'm leaving IOT.

This isn't the fault of any one particular person, or one particular action. This is something I have been mulling over for months, if not years, at this point. I just believe I am at the point where my own ethos and values simply clash too much with the community for me to remain comfortable remaining on these servers. I want to stress that this is no one's fault; just like I won't let other people comprmise who I want to be as a person, I have to learn and accept that you guys are entitled to be the people you want to be. People just drift apart after ten years, and its no one's fault that people just drifted.

I still think you guys, individually, are some of the coolest people I ever got to know, and you helped me when my own family basically all but disowned me. I can not thank you enough for the emotional love and support some of you people have given me over the years. I want to in particular thank Ninjacow for being the one to help me accept myself being trans; that was possibly the most important conversation I had in my life, and I needed that external push to finally try to start fixing my own problems.

But, I just don't feel comfortable being on IOT anymore. The familial bond I felt with the users on the chat simply isn't the same anymore. I do not get the same enjoyment talking to people as I used to. The current chat culture, to me, is just not healthy nor condusive to my own well-being. Again, I still like you guys on a personal level, and my DMs are more than open if people want to talk to me on discord, but I need to do it on a medium that isn't iot, for my own sanity. For those in it, I'm also going to remain in EQ's Fallout game, because I feel the issues I have with IOTchat have not shown themselves on that server, and I don't feel uncomfortable being on it.

Thank you for the decade plus of community you guys gave me. I will never forget. And perhaps, sometime in the future, I may come back. This doesn't have to be a final goodbye. But it is a goodbye, for the foreseeable future.

Given our correspondence I knew this was coming eventually, but I won't pretend it doesn't somehow feel like the passing of an era. Despite the quintessential Friction™ of the Spam Age of IOT, by XIV your knack for narrative was fast making you one of my favourite players to follow, and I don't think I ever told you how surprised (and humbled) I was to learn you considered me a friend even before we'd collaborated on anything in earnest. My biggest regret is not knowing enough about Kaiserreich at the time to give you a proper reply in the Downfall Gang Q&A thread. ;)

I don't know if you intend to follow the various mod threads, but given you've been a muse for most projects I'll definitely keep hitting you up. Otherwise, best of luck in your future endeavours.

Interested in a roleplaying-focused (rather than mechanics-focused) IOT? Want a return to the good old days of IOT, with a classic strategy-game? Or you simply like the 18th century and want to RP as a ruler of that era? War and Peace is for you. It is an IOT that focuses heavily on player-collaboration, roleplaying and narrative. To join: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/war-and-peace-sign-up-ooc-thread.666131/

I saw it a few days ago and don't know whether to join or not. It really depends on with whom I'd be playing and how much time per week/session this would require.

I saw it a few days ago and don't know whether to join or not. It really depends on with whom I'd be playing and how much time per week/session this would require.

I would say two posts every week (as a minimum, you can make more) is something that would be generally preferable, but there can be flexibility. If lets say you cannot post something one week due to rl problems, it can be let go.

[As there are no real mechanics or 'orders', RP posts are the 'lifeblood' of the game - that's why I am talking about posts]

Top Bottom