1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Argentina vs Colombia

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Haig, Jul 14, 2019.

?

Argentina or Colombia civ

Poll closed Aug 4, 2019.
  1. Argentina

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. Colombia

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. Haig

Haig Warlord

Which country do you think would fit better in a potential 3rd expansion, Argentina or Colombia?

Iconic units and leaders, being a good seller of units for the 3rd expansion, representation on map, potential unique mechanics.. ?

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Either or would work for me as viable options and would work well with possible mechanics I would want in an expansion.

Argentina:
    Buenos Aires known as the "Paris of South America" which could be the civ ability would allow you to gain more immigrants into your civ (new immigration mechanic) and still retain your cultural identity (new mechanic based off of ethnicity of citizens).
    Iconic leader would be Eva Peron. She would like to keep her citizens healthy, happy, and productive.
    UU: Gaucho could use a charge to create a unique work of writing or music on a tile with available slot.
    UB: Tango Salon- third tier Theater Square building replacement for a Opera House which would be a new building. Can hold the unique work of writing and music slots.

Colombia: I'd like a better free-city/loyalty system and I think it would help for a leader like Simon Bolivar.
    Simon Bolivar as a leader would love to have control of his own continent and would dislike other civilizations establishing cities on his continent and would make them revolt and join his cause.
    Civ ability could focus more on the agriculture and economic side of Colombia, such as bonus resources receiving amenities and luxury resources can gain diplomatic favor when trading.
    UU: Llanero would be better at combat in free cities/ revolting cities.
    UB: Lancero School- would replace the Military Academy- Runs the unique Lancero Course Project that will give every unit trained in that encampment a free promotion upon completion.

Haig, BuchiTaton and Xandinho like this.
  3. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

I voted in Argentina, but Colombia would also be an excellent choice to fill the gap of the former Spanish colony.

Argentina would be a cultural end-game civilization. It would be suitable for a mechanism of migratory movements. Argentina has been a historic rival of Brazil, and was an important player in the twentieth century. Tango Salon/Tanguería could come in Opera and Ballet. And Eva Perón could fill the space of female leader of South America.

Colombia would be an anti-colonial civilization, perhaps with some bonus for terrain or resource. I don't think this would be militaristic, does not make sense historically, but being resistant to colonialism would probably be a bit defensive.

In summary:
    Argentina: Cultural/Immigration/Industrial.
    Colombia: Anti-colonial/Terrain or Resource/Defensive.

4. BuchiTaton

BuchiTaton Chieftain

Both!

They have great leader options and clear mechanics. Also, in a game where America, Canada and Australia are already in (plus "their" natives), I dont see why not to have 3 iberoamerican colonial nations.

5. Naktis

Naktis Chieftain

I would say Argentina, due to they're rivalry with Brazil. And we have brazil as portuguese colony, so why skip spanish one.

6. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Colombia. Partly because it’s a shortcut to include/pay tribute to all the various nations that were part of Gran Colombia before they split off. Argentina is also comparatively more well known, but in my view, not going to lead to compelling gameplay as such.

People always argue for Argentina being led by Eva Peron, but she wasn’t a leader as such. She was essentially just a popular First Lady, I.e. the equivalent of making Nancy Reagan or Michelle Obama a leader of the US in Civ. I get that she was popular for her singing and loved by the people, but do we need another Gandhi-esque “leader who wasn’t actually a leader”?

BuchiTaton likes this.
  7. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Chieftain

Mexico (but that's very hard to happen due to competing location with the meso civs) , but, I would be very happy if Colombia made it as the spanish post colonial civ.

BuchiTaton likes this.
  8. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Argentina has the problem of mostly peaceful history at the end of the world, which isn't incredibly interesting. I mean, Canada and Australia at lesst had significant presence in both world wars and Colombia has Simon Bolivar who can carry half of the civ himself with his sheer personality, biography and ideals.

For me in in term of ingame civs it is Brazil > Mexico > Colombia > Argentina.

9. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Both are pretty lousy choices but Colombia is the more interesting of the 2. If we have to have another post-colonial civ I'd rather have Mexico.

10. Terminacarnival

Terminacarnival Chieftain

As much as I like gauchos, I will have to give the points to Colombia. That said to most people it is ploy for a Bolivar cult of personality civ option. That would have fit in well in V but does not really gel with VI less conventional (and more refreshing) choices for leaders.