1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Arioch's Analyst Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by AriochIV, Jul 20, 2010.

1. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I'm creating a new thread for this so we can stop gumming up Greg's Strategic View thread with screenshot analysis discussion.

I set up a Civilization V Analyst site so that I could post collections of screenshot- and video-culled data and analysis of it. The site has other stuff there too, but the images are the main thrust of the site.

If you have comments, suggestions or additions, feel free to use this thread. ;)

2. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Nice! :goodjob:

3. cccv

cccv Chieftain

First comment-- great.
    Second comment-- thank you.
    Third comment-- I notice you speculate a bit about which unit the UUs will replace (and in the case of musketeers you state outright that they will replace musketmen). Have we ever been told that the UUs will be replacing regular units this time? Given that UUs are going to be really unique this time and not just regular units with little bonuses, I would actually guess that they won't.

4. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

ah, nice to have this thread! :)

5. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Again, great site! I just wanted to suggest that under "civs" you have the 2 unknown DLC Civs listed as "D2D exclusive" while I somehow understood that it's just the first DLC included in the price, while other can purchase it later?

6. sdlufkin

sdlufkin Chieftain

Your civilization link is broken (should be http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_civilizations.html).

Awesome site, so much great info! Thanks again!

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Thanks very much for the comments and the broken link correction.

We haven't been told this, but I think we have strong evidence of it. On the The French version of the tech tree that we see in the first gameplay video, the Musketeer is the only item under Gunpowder, appearing to have replaced the regular Musketman. It's true that I'm assuming that the Musketman is still under Gunpowder, but I think that's a pretty safe assumption.

8. Johnny Be

Johnny Be Chieftain

Great Page Arioch!! :goodjob:

May I leave a suggestion? You could also put a Strategic map hex image in terrain types.

P.S. Plains now give 1 Food and 2 Hammer?? Where did you see that? (just asking to check it out, I'm not doubting!)

9. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Hi Arioch!

Just a short remark:
    The German leader will be "Otto von Bismarck" not "Otto Von Bismarck" :)

10. PinkHammurabi

PinkHammurabi Chieftain

I'm fairly certain it should still be 1:1. In a lot of our pictures Civs are in a Golden Age which would give Plains a yield of 1:2.

However, Arioch comes up with stuff from vids that I didn't see so maybe that's changed and/or I'm just wrong.

And though I've said it before, love the site.:)

11. Johnny Be

Johnny Be Chieftain

If that's not the case, then plains will be much more valuable then on previous versions!

I'm not a power-player, but I remember a production analysis document made for Civ3 that showed which squares were more valuable and powerful!

I always loved those documents and analysis!! The level of complexity and strategy in a Civ game is mind boggling! :crazyeye:

12. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Hammur's right, I didn't take into account that most of the videos have a Golden Age going. That explains a few things.

13. 2K Greg

2K Greg <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

Awesome work Arioch!

14. PinkHammurabi

PinkHammurabi Chieftain

That's it, Greg? This means you won't fill in all the blanks? The second icon in the Philosophy tech in particular is bugging me. Looks like Arc de Triomphe but I don't get it's connection to Philosophy. It also reminds me of the artwork for The Sistine Chapel or Bach's Cathedral in CivIII though I don't recall which.

Edit: Second icon in Construction looks like The Great Wall.
    Edit 2 (sorry still prodding): First icon in Acoustics looks to me like a grand organ in a Cathedral or something similar (e.g. Cathedral Building).

15. Calouste

Calouste Chieftain

Nice work Arioch :goodjob:

One addition I have for you is that the "Glory of Rome" has as the effect that all buildings that have already been build in the Roman capital are 20% cheaper to build in other Roman cities. (Sorry, can't remember the source.)

16. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Chieftain

What fun would that be, Hammur? :)

17. Calouste

Calouste Chieftain

Wouldn't be much fun for Greg I guess. I don't think he would want to go through things item by item to see which information has been cleared for public release and which hasn't.

18. PinkHammurabi

PinkHammurabi Chieftain

I was only teasing.:) Speculation is fun.

Though, truth be told, I wouldn't mind if he threw a bone our way.

19. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

I strongly suspect that some of the icons are for enabling one of the 10 social policy trees. The first one in Theology is similar to the art for the Piety Policy Tree (top row, 4th tree). The first icon in banking is similar to the Commerce tree (bottom right). It was stated that Tradition was the first policy tree available - not sure if it starts enabled, or is tied to an early tech.

In the image below, I think the trees are:

Top Row: Tradition, Liberty, Honor, Piety, Patronage
    Bottom Row: Order, Autocracy, Freedom, Rationalism, Commerce

All of this is pure speculation, however :)

(Crappy image, I know - not sure of the original source)

Also: I suspect that the last icon in Education enables Research Pacts; and the last one in Currency enables Gold-trading.

Attached Files:

20. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Chieftain

Tundra gives 1 food btw, it was on my list i compiled ages ago.

here we go, snag whatever you need from that:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=369530

Although probably not too much on there you haven't covered.

p.s. warrior has strength of 6 and movement of 2, but i have no screenshot to post on that.