1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkadian Populist Regime Election Platform

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by Seidrik_The_Gray, May 6, 2008.

1. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

If we cannot take her out quickly then i am against a long drawn out war to keep her from gaining copper. The war will strain our relations with Lincoln (with whom she is friendly) and would last until construction and possibly IW. I thought the whole idea behind the early war was to take her out with HA's before she got Spears. I cannot support the pillage and wait strategy as it will dictate our research and production and strain our economy with unit supply costs.

2. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Thanks KWP for the honorable Office of Senior Diplomat. I will work the save hard over the weekend to give you my reports on foreign affairs.

3. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

True, it will be a long and protracted war, aimed at crippling her until we are ready. We have much to do in the way of other builds at the moment, and a full on war right now may put us behind Lincoln tech wise in the long run.

4. blastoidstalker

blastoidstalker The Geographer

Kwarrior Let me try to say what How I think you are invisioning this war. You can then tell me if I am right. I think it is important that even if we do not all agree on the details we know what we are trying to do.

Very soon you want to start a limited war against Spain. In the first few turns you want to take out the copper(s) mines and capture a few workers. If Spain leaves a city weakly defended we will sacrifice a horse archer or two to take it. We will not be looking at commiting a large number of troops to this action, just a set of horse archers and maybe an axeman. This war will keep Spain from developing any units besides archers and warriors and will cripple her production and research capaicity. At the same time we will develope our lands fairly normaly focuing more on development than miliatry units. If Hatty turtles then in the farther future when we have either catapults or Samuri we will finish the war taking the technologicaly backward capital with our superior forces. If she counters and comes after us, we defeat her archers in the field and go after her cities that are left vulnerable.

This is a position that several of us put out there in earlier discussions so I think it is valid and I think it will work as long as we remain decisive in having the war in two modes. In harrassment mode we should have just a few units bothering Hatty, keeping our costs down. When we go for the kill, we need to go full tilt for a short bit either chopping or whipping to get the force out fast. If we get stuck halfway between these two i think we could get ourselves into trouble. I do not think War fatigue will be a big issue as we can get the two luxeries connected and if we go the monarchy path we should be fine.

The one place I think i am in disagreement with how this war is planned is in terms of our research path. COL-Monarchy first makes since if we want to focus on development. I think your goal, Kwarrior, is to cripple Hatty while not hindering our own development, the cost is our troops are limited to HA and Axes. I would like to get the war over quicker, which is why I like Mathmatics- Construction first. If we get catapults, we can finish Hatty off no matter what she does and do it fairly quickly. In my opinion the tech we have chosen does not maximize our ability to fight the war.

5. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

I havent looked at research figures recently but i'd imagine math is about 8-15 turns with construction a similar 10-15 turns away, then we wont actually have construction for at the very least 20 turns (do we have masonry?), then it will be taking awhile to produce 50 hammer units. This war will be going on for awhile anyways before we even get catapults, by which point spain will have produced an overabundance of Archers, they'll be knee deep in them. We're going to be needing quite a few cats just to take out the one city. So at the very minimum that'll be a good 40-50 turns straight down the crapper just producing enough units to take out a bunch of cities that will still cripple our economy for an additional 30-40 years.

Now in the other option we go CoL-Monarchy, i disagree entirely with CoL i really don't see the point- ok so we get a religion but presumably we're planning on taking that from Spain anyways and courthouses which are just useless in comparison to markets. So i think we should go monarchy first and then build a bunch of MP to allow our cities to grow huge either that or we go currency and whip out a bunch of markets before still heading on to monarchy to let the cities grow! Now with either one of these situations we are going to be having a much larger and better economy, we'll be able to research math/construction/whatever we want a lot faster, we'll also be able to produce the units a lot faster both with the benefit of hered rule and with whipping obviously. I don't have the numbers but this way we'd end up with the destruction of Hatty slightly later but an economy that is much more able to support the expansion and therefore not cripple us early on.

6. blastoidstalker

BCLG.

I agree with you on the COL-monarchy thing. I looked at the tech tree, I was thinkming for some reasy that we needed COL to get to monarchy rather than getting to it throught the religious techs. I assume that we will trade for religious techs to get to that point. We will need COL sometime, but not right now. While Monarchy we can use immediately. I would actualy like for another civ to found CONFU on the other continent(s) as it would lead to more potential strife.

I like these discussions on how to conduct thing we are having here even if we are not always in ag reement. It was something that was completely lacking in the faction I came from.

I am fine with monarchy first. It makes since in the "limited war" option. If we go this route though we must be satisfied with not taking Madrid early. I am fine with this.

Kwarrior- can I hear your reasons for researching COL next?

7. Seidrik_The_Gray

This is why I have surrounded myself with people such as yourselves. I am very fortunate that you even accepted the invite :)

I see now that the tech path strategy and the war strategy are in conflict. Along the lines of a limited war, I think the tech path should then be Monarchy->Math->Currency->Construction. Economy first, expansion second. But I do strongly feel that crippling Spain is the way to go.

Grand Cardinal Vizier, BCLG100, do you agree with this new tech path?

Blastoid, I think this is still in line with some of your comments. I think that you understand my war plan. I just feel that now I am awake as to the incongruency of my tech path.

8. blastoidstalker

I feel fine with this path

9. Seidrik_The_Gray

I updated our platform to reflect proposed faction ruleset changes. Look under gameplay!

10. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Seems reasonable enough unless anything important happens to change it.

11. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

I would love to hold the Bard of Bards title.

12. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

I'd like to take out Barcelona and leave her crippled, with 2 units sitting on her copper, so won't be able to do anything anymore.

And this war won't be that expensive, the upkeep for 2 units in enemy territory is what, 2 gpt? We can afford that to knock out another civ.

13. Seidrik_The_Gray

Bard of Bards will be in charge of hosting social events and rp events to give people something other than the gameplay to talk about ;) You up to that task, Civplayah?

14. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Hey, I'm doing Arete Ball already. Why not more?;)

15. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Sorry Dutch I guess I stepped on your toes in my Strategy Academy post :nono: . In the future I will leave the trading to you. In my past games the foreign relations dept handled foreign trade. I should have done my homework a little better.

16. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Less work for me? I don't mind ;)

17. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

Could I join this faction?

18. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

My bad this is the wrong thread.